Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Not when it moves your stud out of his natural positon

Kenny definitely didn't hang out strictly at nose. Lancaster didn't hang out only at 3.

I'd probably pass on Leki but he could play some snaps on that 3.

Edited by HighCalebR

Lily Zhao -  Brian Gutekunst mentioned Blake Martinez's expiring contract. Said they'll take "a long look at ILB" to see if it's squared away to help the run defense. Also said the guys along the defensive line have stepped up and will need to continue to step up.

Ryan Wood -  By my recorder, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst spoke for 30 minutes, 37 seconds recapping the 2019 season and looking ahead to the offseason. Such a refreshing thing, a GM sharing his thoughts on where the team has been, where it will go. The biggest winner, by far, is fans.

• Like 2

Two things were clear from Gute's presser, assuming his actions match his words: (1) Big focus this off-season on offensive playmakers, especially WR, and (2) Big focus on ILB position. 

That's 2 of our 3 glaring holes IMO, with the other being another solid IDL. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't buy  luck. MLF's first year and a new trainer " leading" the room and the team suddenly is the healthiest it's been in like a decade. There's something to it. As TT would have said, the proof is in the pudding.

Luck would actually fully account for the situation you just described. A series of these seasons would imply otherwise though.

Ross Uglem - Packers must stay aggressive to avoid regression

I've got bad news for Packers fans. Green Bay is a major candidate for regression in 2020. While I might not agree that the Packers were "fraudulent", the outlying numbers from the 2019 season didn't point to a 13-3 campaign, and if Green Bay doesn't aggressively improve their program during the offseason, they won't see 13 wins in 2020.

The Packers perhaps missed an opportunity for that aggressive improvement when they chose to retain defensive coordinator Mike Pettine. Pettine's defense was awful in 2018, and only made its way up to average in 2019 before being throttled by San Francisco in the championship game. Pettine's return could provide stability and an opportunity for growth defensively for Green Bay, but through two seasons remains a major question mark.

Why are the Packers such a big-time regression candidate?

• Green Bay stayed remarkably healthy.
  • They were unsustainably good in one-score games.
  • The numbers (rankings) just aren't that great.

//////////////////

Lets face it. Nobody but nobody figured GB to do as well as they did this year and there's not much more "ceiling" space left above our 2019 record. We came up two games short. If we drop back a few games in the win column - but pick up those two games at the end - we'll have regressed but gone further. We'll see how it plays out.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, vegas492 said:

Kenny Clark is kind of a freak.  Powerful.  Anchor.  With quickness.  Can he move around, sure.  Should he?  Probably not.  His combination of skills serves him really well at his current position.  

I guess I kind of feel the same way. Reason I asked is it’s a lot easier to find that run stopping NT and move KC to 3T than a pass rushing 3 or 5T end who can do what KC does.

Any way you would do the previous if the right someone is not available?

15 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I guess I kind of feel the same way. Reason I asked is it’s a lot easier to find that run stopping NT and move KC to 3T than a pass rushing 3 or 5T end who can do what KC does.

No. You build around your studs and put them in the position to do what they do best. And if Clark is going to be the one staying in on passing downs anyway your new 3/5 T can be your run stuffer types.

16 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Moving Clark to 3T kinda takes away from his value. At 3T he's just a really good 3T, where as at NT he's a special talent. 

You need to take advantage of Clark's NT ability by getting him another guy at 3T who can really play in both facets. We've seen putting a fatty next to Clark. Lancaster/Clark is really mediocre. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Moving Clark to 3T kinda takes away from his value. At 3T he's just a really good 3T, where as at NT he's a special talent. 

You need to take advantage of Clark's NT ability by getting him another guy at 3T who can really play in both facets. We've seen putting a fatty next to Clark. Lancaster/Clark is really mediocre. 

I agree but getting that guy where we pick may be wishful thinking... although, I believe we passed on Chris Jones to take KC so you never know. Finding a NT to replace KC and moving him felt easier that finding those 3T/5T types.

Love what you did in your mock to remedy that.