Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure, but were any of those guys ever considered the best defender in the NFL? The DPOY award is really a game changer when looking at these things.

You talking about Polomalu’s DPOY?  The one he stole from Clay Matthews?  14 games, 1 sack, 7 ints and 63 tackles?  

Let’s be realistic here... It’s the Hall of Fame.  Fame, not greatness.  Game goes into it.  Leroy Butler invented the most iconic celebration in football on the most iconic team in football and his talent is comparable to the others.

He belongs in over Troy Polamalu.  

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

You talking about Polomalu’s DPOY?  The one he stole from Clay Matthews?  14 games, 1 sack, 7 ints and 63 tackles?  

Let’s be realistic here... It’s the Hall of Fame.  Fame, not greatness.  Game goes into it.  Leroy Butler invented the most iconic celebration in football on the most iconic team in football and his talent is comparable to the others.

He belongs in over Troy Polamalu.  

Absolutely not. Quit trying to ruin the last good HOF in sports.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Atwater at 2 is bad. The hell did he do to be above Lynch and Butler?

I mean I don't think it's really a huge deal either way. Those guys aren't hugely far apart no matter how you rank them. To me Butler is the clear standout; for the stat guys he's got the statistical edge on all of them, leading the group in INTs and sacks by a significant margin and tying Polamalu for 1st with 4 1st Team All-Pros.  He was incredibly consistent, rarely missing a game and always putting up big stat lines, unlike Troy who struggled with health. He also didn't play on defenses as consistently talented and well coached as Troy. He was a difference maker even before White arrived, but was something else with that pressure in front of him. I don't fault anyone for taking Troy over him, there's a clear argument for him to be the best of that group, but Butler really doesn't get his due. He was a legitimate stud who excelled in coverage and as a box safety and blitzer.