Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

WR Coach, Alvis Whitted just got canned.

Packers receivers coach Alvis Whitted has been let go, a source said. Coach Matt LaFleur is on the lookout for a replacement. Whitted's position group didn't have a lot of high draft picks after Davante Adams but struggled to find a consistent No. 2. So there at least one change on each side of the ball after Jerry Gray replaced Jason Simmons as defensive backs coach.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdemovsky_rob.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer6m ago
Edited by {Family Ghost}

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

WR Coach, Alvis Whitted just got canned.

Packers receivers coach Alvis Whitted has been let go, a source said. Coach Matt LaFleur is on the lookout for a replacement. Whitted's position group didn't have a lot of high draft picks after Davante Adams but struggled to find a consistent No. 2. So there at least one change on each side of the ball after Jerry Gray replaced Jason Simmons as defensive backs coach.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fdemovsky_rob.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer6m ago

I remember watching a video about him when we hired him, seemed like a decent coach, but this isn't a surprising move.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's a LaFleur hire .. must not have worked out.  Maybe Matt is opening up a spot for his little brother?

Perhaps the 49ers feel they no longer need a "Passing Game Coordinator" if they can get by throwing 8 passes a game.  () - : #

Seriously, if I'm recalling correctly the Packers wanted to interview him last year, but SF wouldn't allow it.

55 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I remember watching a video about him when we hired him, seemed like a decent coach, but this isn't a surprising move.

I was asking (not on this site) for at least one coaching change this offseason. This was not because I disliked any particular coach of LaFleur's, more that it was a numbers game. There were are a limited number of coaches available when LaFleur was made head coach..............so it stands to reason that not all hires were ideal, some can be upgraded when another year rolls by and a new batch of guys are available.

At least LaFleur has changed two coaches. One was not his doing, as the coach left for another job - but one coach was let go. Therefore he has fulfilled my minimum requirement for what I thought he should do.

A good receivers coach seems to be somewhat difficult to find for the Packers, as they changed the receivers coach the previous year as well, if memory serves.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

Z also saying he wasn't ready to play and teammates were having to pump him up to get excited about playing that game... 

Yup, pretty crazy stuff to read. Just disappointing all the way around to lay an egg like that and then hear both the coach and top players say "we weren't ready to play."