Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The mold I'm talking about can only be seen when looking at the play on the field, so not sure what you're saying

the mold as in "good player mold" ?

You want the Packers to draft an ILB that is good and not bad? (based on what you see on the field)

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

The problem is, the majority of those guys were draft choices. The real problem IMO is they were all low ceiling guys to begin with. You will never get a Fred Warner by drafting Jake Ryan every year. I am sooo over the Martinez, Ryan, Summers mold. Have no clue what they are trying to accomplish

"Packer people"

Just now, packfanfb said:

"Packer people"

This is the one complaint about ILB I can agree with you on.  Martinez too damn nice.  Just like Fackrell.  Just like almost our entire defense outside of Jaire Alexander.  "I... I'm going to tackle you now i-if that's alright." 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is the one complaint about ILB I can agree with you on.  Martinez too damn nice.  Just like Fackrell.  Just like almost our entire defense outside of Jaire Alexander.  "I... I'm going to tackle you now i-if that's alright." 

Where is too nice coming from with Martinez? Dude's about as frat bro as Stanford has produced since like Skov. 

Fackrell is just Mormon.

Am I missing something on this defense? King might be the only minus tackler on this team, and that's just CBs in 2020. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Where is too nice coming from with Martinez? Dude's about as frat bro as Stanford has produced since like Skov. 

Fackrell is just Mormon.

Am I missing something on this defense? King might be the only minus tackler on this team, and that's just CBs in 2020. 

I literally heard Fackrell ask a QB if it was alright to sack him before he sacked him and I literally heard Martinez apologize to a running back as he was dragging him down.  Then he said, “Good gain, bro.”

Martinez is a Boy Scout leader.  He probably plays Settlers of Cataan and cosplays with Mike Daniels in his spare time.  

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm going to print and frame this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I literally heard Fackrell ask a QB if it was alright to sack him before he sacked him and I literally heard Martinez apologize to a running back as he was dragging him down.  Then he said, “Good gain, bro.”

Martinez is a Boy Scout leader.  He probably plays Settlers of Cataan and cosplays with Mike Daniels in his spare time.  

Mike Daniels can cosplay all he wants, he was the nastiest dude we had on the team for years

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

The problem is, the majority of those guys were draft choices. The real problem IMO is they were all low ceiling guys to begin with. You will never get a Fred Warner by drafting Jake Ryan every year. I am sooo over the Martinez, Ryan, Summers mold. Have no clue what they are trying to accomplish

Ryan ran a 4.65 and Martinez ran a 4.71 at the combine.

At his recent end of the season press conference, Gutey made it clear that having speed at linebacker is “no doubt” a necessity. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/28/solving-packers-ilb-puzzle-set-to-be-quite-the-riddle-for-gm-brian-gutekunst/

Summers was clocked at 4.51 and Oren Burks ran a 4.59. They may both suck, but they are not slow.

Given the ILBs he has drafted in his two drafts to date and his comments about the need for speed, Gutey certainly does seem to be moving on from the try hard, assignment sure mold of ILBs who have dominated the middle of GB's defenses over the past decade.

• Like 1

What do we think is wrong with Oren Burks? Is he also too soft? Does he have a low football IQ? Is he not physically ready to play ILB? Is he a poor fit in Pettine's scheme? It was a puzzling pick to begin with especially after trading up, but the guy is a season away from playing in the CFL at this point unless he just hangs on as a ST player. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What do we think is wrong with Oren Burks? Is he also too soft? Does he have a low football IQ? Is he not physically ready to play ILB? Is he a poor fit in Pettine's scheme? It was a puzzling pick to begin with especially after trading up, but the guy is a season away from playing in the CFL at this point unless he just hangs on as a ST player. 

You need to be really fast mentally to play this thing. Burks isn't there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Probably a combination of things, but Nagler said that during practices Burks was constantly being screamed at by coaches to get off blocks.

Edit: IIRC this was 2 years ago, so I don't know if it was still an issue this past year.

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

His college gamertag was literally ***********69

"Boy scout"

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Great. Now turn on the tape. 

So...you're telling me that you were pounding the table for Warner in the '18 draft?  Somehow I find it hard to believe that if I looked back at the 2018 draft thread there'd be any mention of it, let alone pounding the table for him.  He was drafted 70th overall which means 69 picks were made prior to him, so clearly he wasn't some super-prospect.  But how much does the 49ers' DL impact them.  They've got FOUR former FRPs (Joey Bosa, Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas, and DeForest Buckner) and a guy they traded a SRP (Dee Ford) for.  What have the Packers invested in the DL?  A FRP (Kenny Clark), a 4th round pick (Dean Lowry), and an UDFA (Tyler Lancaster) were our top 3 DLs in terms of snap count.  And if you want to include Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith, they were both brought in as FAs.  The 49ers have invested heavily on their DL.  Something @Packerraymond has been harking on, and I'm on the same boat.  Want better production out of your ILBs?  Grab those big uglies to put in front of them.

• Like 2