Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And now somebody's bringing up Hayden Hurst?  HAYDEN HURST?  You mean Robert Tonyan only drafted in the first round? 

You think the cost on Hurst is going to be drastic? If you can add a 1st round body for a late round pick is it really that big of a deal to you? Would you rather use that pick on another Kennard Backman?

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You think the cost on Hurst is going to be drastic? If you can add a 1st round body for a late round pick is it really that big of a deal to you? Would you rather use that pick on another Kennard Backman?

I'm not opposed to it by any means for a late round pick mostly because I would pull that trigger more often than not when it comes to 6th/7th round picks on NFL veterans with upside as opposed to rookies with upside, but Hurst is a bust and he wouldn't get traded if the Ravens didn't know he was a bust. 

If you think he could fit your system and what you want better and go from a bust to a normal player/contributor, you pull the trigger, but if anybody is expecting Hurst to turn into some steal they're mistaken. 

I'm mostly reacting to the expectations.  Like the guy who Tweeted that the Packers should take a look acting like somebody we could get in a trade for a 6th round pick is suddenly going to come in and outperform Jimmy Graham 2018/2019.  They won't. 

I don't know enough about Hooper to offer an opinion on him as a player.  And I don't watch enough Falcons games to understand how he plays.

But I'm against signing him.  We drafted Jace to be our tight end.  I thought he showed some really nice athletic ability out there as a limited rookie.  Let the kid play.  I think we already have a guy whose ceiling is Hooper or better.  Now he just needs reps.

Hurst?  I have the same argument against him, but with Hurst, you get a guy on a much lesser contract.  That one I can understand better.

I'm just a hard "no" against investing large dollars into the TE position....again.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

more interested in a day 3 pick for hurst than signing hooper  for the deal he's gonna get 

It's going to be fascinating to see what the guys at non premiums are going to get paid with the limitations on back loading contracts. 

Hooper might not get as much as people are thinking.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's going to be fascinating to see what the guys at non premiums are going to get paid with the limitations on back loading contracts. 

Hooper might not get as much as people are thinking.

The ability or inability to increase salaries by more than 30% in subsequent years will be an issue for teams that are limited with cap space for 2020.  Teams with $50+M in cap space will be able to front load/balance out the contract enough to still pursue some of the top tier players.  

This would explain Tonyan's extended absence last year - from what I thought was just a bruised hip:

PackersWire - Green Bay Packers tight end Robert Tonyan had corrective surgery on a core muscle problem to start this offseason, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Tonyan, the second-year tight end, played in 11 games in 2019, catching 10 passes for 100 yards and a touchdown. He injured his hip in Week 5 against the Dallas Cowboys and missed five straight games. Despite returning for the final six regular-season games and two postseason games, Tonyan’s impact was minimal – possibly as a result of the lingering effects of the original injury.

Tonyan, 25, is an exclusive rights free agent this offseason and is expected back with the Packers in 2020.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Williams Meyers of the Vincera Institute in Philadelphia. He is considered a core muscle expert, and the “leading authority on the awareness that the whole core muscle complex, inclusive with the hip joint, contributes to the injury which has advanced old terminology such as athletic pubalgia or sports hernia.”

Edited by Leader

This is a couple days old now.....

Rotoworld -  Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said TE Jace Sternberger "can be a mismatch for us."

Gutekunst also said Sternberger "has some dynamic ability." That ability wasn't showcased in his rookie season thanks to injuries and Jimmy Graham's presence, but it's possible that both of those aren't deterrents in 2020. Graham is likely a cap casualty, which would vault Sternberger into the starting mix as a receiving threat. Sternberger is a potential deep sleeper for fantasy drafts. Source: Pro Football Talk

PackersWire - While the NFL’s free agency period doesn’t officially start for a couple of weeks, the Green Bay Packers still haven’t begun the process of re-signing veteran right tackle Bryan Bulaga. According to Tom Silverstein of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers haven’t had any conversations with Bulaga or his representation about a new deal since the end of the team’s season in late January.