Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Did you really just add another empty remark? Sure hope you’re intending to be as much of an d- bag as possible rather than that being your natural personality.

Hilarious!

Actually, your hypocritical, ignorant message board tough guy rant is pretty sad. But that nonsense is funny to me-  lol!

Bil Huber / SI - The Green Bay Packers have a multimillion-dollar conundrum on their hands.

What do they do with running back Aaron Jones?

Jones is coming off an electrifying third year in the NFL. He provided a tantalizing taste in his first two seasons by averaging 5.5 yards per carry in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, Jones stayed healthy and was made a focal point of the offense, and he responded by rushing for 1,084 yards and catching 49 passes for an additional 474 yards. Jones finished the season 12th in rushing yards, tied for first in rushing touchdowns (16), tied for first in total touchdowns (19) and seventh in yards from scrimmage (1,558).

Jones was the Packers’ best offensive player last season. It’s almost impossible to believe they would have reached the NFC Championship Game without him. Moreover, there’s no one on the roster who appears even remotely capable of replacing his all-around production. Still, the stories of Gurley and others provide a cautionary tale of paying for past production at a position with such a limited shelf life.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bil Huber / SI - The Green Bay Packers have a multimillion-dollar conundrum on their hands.

What do they do with running back Aaron Jones?

Jones is coming off an electrifying third year in the NFL. He provided a tantalizing taste in his first two seasons by averaging 5.5 yards per carry in 2017 and 2018. In 2019, Jones stayed healthy and was made a focal point of the offense, and he responded by rushing for 1,084 yards and catching 49 passes for an additional 474 yards. Jones finished the season 12th in rushing yards, tied for first in rushing touchdowns (16), tied for first in total touchdowns (19) and seventh in yards from scrimmage (1,558).

Jones was the Packers’ best offensive player last season. It’s almost impossible to believe they would have reached the NFC Championship Game without him. Moreover, there’s no one on the roster who appears even remotely capable of replacing his all-around production. Still, the stories of Gurley and others provide a cautionary tale of paying for past production at a position with such a limited shelf life.

This is fully just the Friday afternoon talking, but does anybody else wonder if Jones could age into a slot receiver?  I mean, assuming you pay him, and his game starts to falter as a runner because it will, could he transition over?  He certainly has the body type and athletic gifts to be a nightmare in the slot, but I gotta assume his technique is years away and his hands are unreliable still.  Just wondering if you couldn't start sliding your other backs some carries, and try to find Jones some other homes as well if you want to pay him.  

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

and his hands are unreliable still.

That comment kinda surprises me, he's made some pretty athletic catches in GB -  2 of em linked below
And his hands were graded as elite by some scouts coming out of college.

https://www.packers.com/video/packers-rb-aaron-jones-pulls-in-diving-reception-for-first-down-19530880

I know it’s been mentioned about NFL Gamepass being free right now but I just saw that they have all seasons dating back to 2009.  I’m legit going to watch our SB run all over again.  Jackpot!

Edited by thrILL!

22 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah for real, I have issues with Aaron's pass catching ability, but he's made some nice ones.

I wish I could gif up a short pass from the Packers at vikes game -  because I'm really interested in how it played out
I can't tell if it was a poor throw or Jones' pre-catch movements, but he and AR did not connect.
But it was a 3rd down in vikes territory and it might have been a TD.

I'm not 100 % certain, but I think its 2:12 left in the 1st quarter for anybody with game pass.  12/23 match-up

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I wish I could gif up a short pass from the Packers at vikes game -  because I'm really interested in how it played out
I can't tell if it was a poor throw or Jones' pre-catch movements, but he and AR did not connect.
But it was a 3rd down in vikes territory and it might have been a TD.

I'm not 100 % certain, but I think its 2:12 left in the 1st quarter for anybody with game pass.  12/23 match-up

I feel like i had issues early in the year and they kind of went away fwiw. Few times he just felt nerves or something