Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

No one's perfect, although that contract stuck out even at the time.  Lowry had a nice 2018, but it was hard to understand what they were spending $6.5 million on given he played at a fairly replaceable level even then.  

indeed
They had just finished shopping Daniels with no takers, so they probably had a decent feel for the DL market too.
They were right about Mike and wrong about Dean...50/50

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

indeed
They had just finished shopping Daniels with no takers, so they probably had a decent feel for the DL market too.
They were right about Mike and wrong about Dean...50/50

50/50 is the ratio you want to be hitting on moves that look good in hindsight. 

• Like 1

I also think that the Lowry issue is excerbated by the underwhelming performance of the rest of the DL group and the play-calling this season.  Lowry isn't elite, but he has some nice pieces to his game and he can win 1v1 both with quickness and with a bullrush, although admittedly not with a large degree of consistency either way.  He's got good feet and can be tough to reach in the run game when he knows what he's playing against, and he can penetrate much better than you'd think a 6'6" DL would be able to.  But he doesn't usually anchor well, he gets blown out by down blocks, and his short arms really hinder his ability to read and react because he can't get his hands onto the OL's pads without giving up his own.  

Thing is, the DL group was so weak outside of Clark that they really can't be the focal point of the defensive play-calling at all, and everyone they tried at DL3 in the base and as the rotational guy was a huge bust.  Lancaster proved that 2018 was indeed just fresh legs against teams with not a lot to play for and Adams and Keke both looked pretty consistently like a deer in headlights.  Lowry isn't bad as a clean-up guy, but with so much of the DL group just losing straight up and the team playing a lot of 2-4 even in obvious run downs (likely because of this to some degree) he was basically always the weak link on the field.  Somebody has to be the worst starter, and given the quality of the edge group and Clark, you know teams were going to pick on Lowry.  I think if you have a legit 3T, or even just a guy you can reliably count on to win in the run game, Lowry probably looks a lot better this season. 

This isn't necessarily a defense of the contract, because he's exactly the kind of player you don't give a second contract to.  He's a nice role player, great plug n play depth, but you pick those up off the street or late in the draft, you don't drop $20 million on them.

• Like 4

Andy Herman -  There’s certainly different levels of likelihood, but it wouldn’t shock me to see GB go QB, RB, WR, OT, C, DL, LB, CB, or S w/ their first pick. I can’t see OG/TE because there’s nobody worth it. Edge has too many resources committed already. Everything else seems possible.

This isn’t to say these are all good options, like RB rnd 1, but simply possible.

QB if Herbert or Love fell
RB to replace Jones
WR/OT/DL/LB are all obvious needs
C to be the heir apparent to Linsley
CB is a sneaky 2021 need
S because Pettine will play 3 a ton

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  There’s certainly different levels of likelihood, but it wouldn’t shock me to see GB go QB, RB, WR, OT, C, DL, LB, CB, or S w/ their first pick. I can’t see OG/TE because there’s nobody worth it. Edge has too many resources committed already. Everything else seems possible.

This isn’t to say these are all good options, like RB rnd 1, but simply possible.

RB to replace Jones
CB is a sneaky 2021 need

Thanks Andy Herman for the least useful tweet of all time. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Leader said:

RB to replace Jones
CB is a sneaky 2021 need

Thanks Captain Obvious!

Edited by MantyWrestler