Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep.  Only two people in the world could play me.  Gary Oldman or me.

Are you completely sure he isn't already?

I mean if at my funeral Gary Oldman demasks and says "Ta da!" I won't be entirely shocked. I'll just be like "Damn that guy is good".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Are you completely sure he isn't already?

I mean if at my funeral Gary Oldman demasks and says "Ta da!" I won't be entirely shocked. I'll just be like "Damn that guy is good".

Yeah man, he’s the ****ing GOAT.  If Spielberg didn’t get him blacklisted for a decade and if he was more selective in his roles, nobody would dispute this.  Gary’s problem is that he likes to work, so he takes on all these **** roles in **** movies.  He ends up the only thing about the movies worth watching and because he’s in these **** roles, everybody underrates him.

The best part about him is he’s not a pretentious ***, either.  He’s not some maniacal method actor who has to become the character for the duration of the movie.  He can go from putting on a clinic of acting to normal regular Gary Oldman in a second.  

Gary Oldman is the greatest actor of my lifetime.  Maybe a couple actors who have died were better.  I’d give the nod to maybe Brando, Olivier and O’Toole, MAYBE Alec Guinness, but nobody else.  

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

Has the talent dropped off. No doubt in my mind

I don't think anyone disputes this. But you can't derive any conclusions from that without considering how the talent related to the rest of the league in each of the situations. You could have a talent dropoff after starting with an embarrassment of riches and still have an average or above-average group in the lesser group. It's not like every team has 2 or 3 Pro Bowlers at all times. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I don't think anyone disputes this. But you can't derive any conclusions from that without considering how the talent related to the rest of the league in each of the situations. You could have a talent dropoff after starting with an embarrassment of riches and still have an average or above-average group in the lesser group. It's not like every team has 2 or 3 Pro Bowlers at all times. 

Well if the talent has dropped off, it's harder for the QB to be great, much less adding age and injuries to the equation. That's all I've been saying.You can't change one part of an equation and expect the same results from the other

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Well if the talent has dropped off, it's harder for the QB to be great, much less adding age and injuries to the equation. That's all I've been saying.You can't change one part of an equation and expect the same results from the other

Right, but I don't think anyone is expecting the * same* results, as in prime-2009-to-2014-Arod results. Just expecting not to be a below-average, or a borderline-bottom-10 offense for the entire 2nd half of the season. Esp w/ a good OL and good RB's and at least 1 PB wr. There are obviously going to be some weak spots on the roster when the team is drafting this late in the order & got 30+m sunk into the QB spot. You hope that the QB can offset those weak spots a little, especially in a facet of the game that he is most directly involved in. 

We can certainly apply some resources to the WR room. I just want ppl aware that will obviously take away resources from other areas and it will most likely just be a game of whack-a-mole as the roster cycles through each year. There will almost always be some position group a person can point to in order to say Arod doesn't have the ideal supporting cast if they are so inclined. 

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

No, but the extent to which change has happened in the talent around him shouldn't be affecting the end product to nearly this extent unless we're seeing major drop off from the QB. If it is causing this fall off from the end product, then the QB portion of this product was always overrated. 

He had a passer rating of 84.2 in weeks 9-16. That's a bottom 5 mark in the league. His only rating above 100 was against the Giants and their 30th ranked defense. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah man, he’s the ****ing GOAT.  If Spielberg didn’t get him blacklisted for a decade and if he was more selective in his roles, nobody would dispute this.  Gary’s problem is that he likes to work, so he takes on all these **** roles in **** movies.  He ends up the only thing about the movies worth watching and because he’s in these **** roles, everybody underrates him.

The best part about him is he’s not a pretentious ***, either.  He’s not some maniacal method actor who has to become the character for the duration of the movie.  He can go from putting on a clinic of acting to normal regular Gary Oldman in a second.  

Gary Oldman is the greatest actor of my lifetime.  Maybe a couple actors who have died were better.  I’d give the nod to maybe Brando, Olivier and O’Toole, MAYBE Alec Guinness, but nobody else.  

And let's not forget...Oldman was in Friends!!!  And he was spectacular!

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, but the extent to which change has happened in the talent around him shouldn't be affecting the end product to nearly this extent unless we're seeing major drop off from the QB. If it is causing this fall off from the end product, then the QB portion of this product was always overrated. 

He had a passer rating of 84.2 in weeks 9-16. That's a bottom 5 mark in the league. His only rating above 100 was against the Giants and their 30th ranked defense. 

I've done so research concerning where passes were going, but....I have a gut feeling that he was avoiding the middle of the field like it had COVID-19.  Then when we played the Giants, he used the middle of the field and posted a stellar rating.  

It was crazy to me how much he avoided the middle of the field last year.  Talking about short to short-intermediate middle of the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I've done so research concerning where passes were going, but....I have a gut feeling that he was avoiding the middle of the field like it had COVID-19.  Then when we played the Giants, he used the middle of the field and posted a stellar rating.  

It was crazy to me how much he avoided the middle of the field last year.  Talking about short to short-intermediate middle of the field.

Can’t be Messing with that 4-1 ratio. 

21 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

None. Watch Aaron Rodgers play football in 2020. It's the biggest reason he's barely a top 10 QB anymore.

He never was an anticipation passer.  He would only do this in his prime under serious duress.  Duress of game situation, not pressure.  If the team was winning, Aaron was happy to punt rather than throw someone open his entire career.

17 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If Spielberg didn’t get him blacklisted for a decade and if he was more selective in his roles, nobody would dispute this.  

What are you babbling about?  This forum loves its Spielberg conspiracy theories.  

42 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

What are you babbling about?  This forum loves its Spielberg conspiracy theories.  

Oldman wasn’t pleased with the portrayal of his character in Th Contender.  Expressed mild distaste for how his character was edited/portrayed.  Spielberg got pissed.  Gary Oldman relegated to support roles and indie movies for a decade.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Oldman wasn’t pleased with the portrayal of his character in Th Contender.  Expressed mild distaste for how his character was edited/portrayed.  Spielberg got pissed.  Gary Oldman relegated to support roles and indie movies for a decade.

Nonsense.  There’s zero evidence Spielberg had anything to do with the fallout of The Contender or anything dealing with Oldman afterward.  Oldman was all about independent film anyway.  Air Force One was the only mainstream movie he really did until Batman.  So he wasn’t relegated to anything. 

Oldman legit should’ve got an Oscar nom for it tho.  He was really, really good in it.  I don’t believe they’ve ever released a different cut of the movie tho so who knows what was left on the cutting room floor.  There were plenty of characters in that film who were awful ppl.  Pretty much all of them except for Kathryn Harris, Jeff Bridges and Christian Slater’s characters.