Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That Yanny/Laurel crap freaks me the hell out.  It legitimately frightens me.  I don't know how it's possible. 

Different frequencies. High pitch vs low pitch.

I'm not some form of smart person that figured that out, I had to find out so I didn't go insane trying to hear Laurel.

26 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Different frequencies. High pitch vs low pitch.

I'm not some form of smart person that figured that out, I had to find out so I didn't go insane trying to hear Laurel.

Yeah, but, like... Does that mean it's possible for someone to hear something other than what somebody said?  Has that ruined lives before?  What if someone asked someone once whether or not they love Yanny or Laurel and the frequency changed it and it ruined somebody's life? 

How does it work? 

tumblr_oxs52wNIhH1w8vvh3o1_540.gif

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, but, like... Does that mean it's possible for someone to hear something other than what somebody said?  Has that ruined lives before?  What if someone asked someone once whether or not they love Yanny or Laurel and the frequency changed it and it ruined somebody's life? 

How does it work? 

haha. It plays both names, each at different different frequency. Low frequency is Laurel, high is Yanny. So if you have your bass turned up, or if you're an old person, you'd be more likely to hear Laurel. As people age they tend to lose the ability to hear the higher notes.  Or so I read.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How does it work? 

I'm gonna say homie, I'm gonna say bro, I'm gonna say my man, I'm gonna say fo sho.. I'm gonna say the nnnnn wooord....

Lololol funniest **** ever

14 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

That just means that Cheeseheads are more honest about imbibing.  Drinking doesn't lessen as you cross the border going west- denial rises.

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Damn Wisconsin....

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Damn Wisconsin....

There are two things to consider, first is there a state more proud (and therefore more likely to exaggerate) their drinking than Wisconsin?

second and way more important, Drinking is Wisconsin’s vice and as much as binge drinking has it’s health risks; Wisconsin is in the bottom ten in just about every drug abuse survey/study. Opioids, cocaine, heroin, prescription, all at the bottom, the only drug that is more in the middle is tobacco. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That Yanny/Laurel crap freaks me the hell out.  It legitimately frightens me.  I don't know how it's possible. 

Omfg I had to look this up. Then after a few different things that delved into it I found this. The first time I played regular one it's like yeah totally yanny. Then a comment said plug your ears, and I heard Laurel like 5 times. Then I couldn't get it back. Just yanny. So I go to the and slide it towards Laurel and WTF lol. Like at one point I'm at the same spot and it's pure yanny then poof it's Laurel and I swing out way back to yanny and my brain is still hearing Laurel

Nothing about the spots is consistent for me. It is just what my brain wants to hear at that moment. I will not sleep now

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How does it work? 

listen to it while watching the different mouths and see if you hear a different sound

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

haha. It plays both names, each at different different frequency. Low frequency is Laurel, high is Yanny. So if you have your bass turned up, or if you're an old person, you'd be more likely to hear Laurel. As people age they tend to lose the ability to hear the higher notes.  Or so I read.

When I did a rado and tv engineering course, many years ago, we played around with sound generators,  hooked up with an osilloscope display you can accurately dial up any frequency to be produced, so we tested it on everyone on the course.

At age 20 you would hear up to about 18,500 cycles per second. At that age the eardrum is taut and can cope with vibrating very rapidly.

At age 65 your eardrum is not so efficient. The upper limit of hearing is down to maybe 12,500 cycles per second.

On the lower end of hearing, at somewhere about 18 cycles per second, the sound ceases to be heard as sound. Low frequency sound was used in the bigger cinemas in the old disaster film, Earthquake, to rattle light fittings and frighten audiences, who couldn't hear the sound but felt the effects of it (low frequency can induce a state of unease in people).

Tricks like the one described above remind me of the old Monty Python three sided vinyl 12" LP. One side had two sets of parallel grooves cut in it (rather than one groove), whose starting points (the outside edge of the LP) were opposite each other. What that meant was that when you put that side on to play you randomly got one groove or the other, each playing completely different Python sketches. Since that double-groove side looked the same as any other LP, is was a big surprise to anyone who had just bought it.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

When I did a rado and tv engineering course, many years ago, we played around with sound generators,  hooked up with an osilloscope display you can accurately dial up any frequency to be produced, so we tested it on everyone on the course.

At age 20 you would hear up to about 18,500 cycles per second. At that age the eardrum is taut and can cope with vibrating very rapidly.

At age 65 your eardrum is not so efficient. The upper limit of hearing is down to maybe 12,500 cycles per second.

On the lower end of hearing, at somewhere about 18 cycles per second, the sound ceases to be heard as sound. Low frequency sound was used in the bigger cinemas in the old disaster film, Earthquake, to rattle light fittings and frighten audiences, who couldn't hear the sound but felt the effects of it (low frequency can induce a state of unease in people).

Tricks like the one described above remind me of the old Monty Python three sided vinyl 12" LP. One side had two sets of parallel grooves cut in it (rather than one groove), whose starting points (the outside edge of the LP) were opposite each other. What that meant was that when you put that side on to play you randomly got one groove or the other, each playing completely different Python sketches. Since that double-groove side looked the same as any other LP, is was a big surprise to anyone who had just bought it.

Best Packers random news and notes ever.

As a male approaching 65, I find that the eardrum may be losing elasticity but the prostate compensates by enlarging: lower frequencies in hearing, higher frequencies in urge to empty bladder.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

listen to it while watching the different mouths and see if you hear a different sound

THIS ONE SCARES ME EVEN MORE!  JUST WHEN YANNY/LAUREL MADE SENSE TO ME (I SAW HOW THEY PLAYED BOTH HIGH AND LOW AT THE SAME TIME), THIS ONE MAKES ME EVEN MORE SCARED.  ESPECIALLY SINCE I'M REALLY HARD ON HEARING AND I HAVE TO WATCH PEOPLE SPEAK! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm gonna say homie, I'm gonna say bro, I'm gonna say my man, I'm gonna say fo sho.. I'm gonna say the nnnnn wooord....

Lololol funniest **** ever

I hated that episode the first time I watched it, but the second time I couldn't stop laughing.