Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Yes they had no high level pedigree but your post was just asking for a fast guy you can teach- that to me implies you don't care about pedigree and just the physical attributes. If your argument is spend some more capital on a guy who is fast but also has other attributes I can get on board with that (see above about hoping we can sustain the pattern of success in the 2nd round).

As far as a guy like Bryant- I wonder if he sees the field enough to make an impact here based on that "internal resistance" thing I brought up. We don't see to do great with guys who don't "get" the offense here. Maybe it's bad luck or maybe it's a reflection of inflexibility of the coaching/QB - I've no idea. But I think cutting Jordy+Cobb for Bryant would be a hugely risky move given our track record with pass catchers who are physical marvels but don't necessarily have a reputation for "getting" the offense or how to be a professional.

The above makes it all the more frustrating that we busted on Bennett when we had a chance to retain Cook. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'll be the first to admit I wasn't calling it a bad move at the time but man having another receiving option with some physical skills right now would put us in a much better offseason position. Bleh.

Agree with Acrid.  Really hard to have any reason to know who will be bad, good, or great as a GM.  Like you said, not sure Murphy and McCarthy will be the best judges either!  :)  But certainly more than me, and I just hope Murphy ends up selecting a good one.  

Also agree that Davis/Janis nicely demonstrate how hard it is to teach a guy to be a good receiver, even if he's blessed with much speed.

CWood is right; to both be a good receiver AND have speed, that's hard to find with late-3rd-day picks and UDFA.  I'd really prioritize a 2nd-day pick on a WR, if BPA at all justifies.  I know we've got so many needs, and only a few high picks.  But after spending 8 drafts on defense, and presumably spending first pick on defense once again, I'd really like to see 2nd or 3rd pick going to WR.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Gimme one guy who is fast enough that he doesn't need to run perfect routes to get open, and let's teach him how to improve in that area.

Jordy Nelson was plenty fast, so was jennings.  Nobody we've drafted since has that kind of upside, Adams included.

You almost never want to be at the total extreme of anything as far as input metrics.  Just more evidence that Jordy and Cobb are washed.

Didn't we try that with Janis?

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, players with both speed AND skill generally tend to go early and often.  Those "complete" receivers that everyone is clamoring for are generally the types of players that the Packers aren't in play for.  Instead, they're looking more in the "discount department" for the WR.  I'd absolutely take a WR with strong route running skills and reliable hands over a receiver who runs really fast.  We've had plenty of success with those types.

"I'd absolutely take a WR with strong route running skills and reliable hands over a receiver who runs really fast."

You just described Geronimo Allison to a "T" - and I like Allison - all except he cant get separation. Nelson...Cobb.....great hands. No denying that - but Jordy's speed days are behind him and Cobb was always more quick than fast.

Nobody I know of is looking for another Bullet Bob Hayes - whom I considered a track star in football gear. Not an NFL WR.

"Those "complete" receivers that everyone is clamoring for are generally the types of players that the Packers aren't in play for.  Instead, they're looking more in the "discount department" for the WR."

Well.....a personal take....if we have to draft 1,2, or 3 more CBs...with our first, second and/or third round draft picks before we FINALLY plug up the holes back there - while - hanging the best active QB in the game today out to dry w/o drafting him a true weapon.......thats no way to run a railroad IMO. The NFLs a passing league. The college games become more of a passing league. Cant we PLEASE draft someone who's not on "discount" for AR?

You want to know who KICKS *** drafting WRs? The Pittsburgh Steelers. WRs and LBs.

Edited by Leader

Pittsburgh is as hit or miss at WR as most everyone else.

Sammie Coates still with them?  3rd round pick, 2015.  6 catches this past year as a Brown.  2 years with Pitt.

Prior to him, everyone knows Martavis Bryant, a great 4'th round pick.  Know who wasn't so hot?  Their third round pick that year (2014) Dri Archer.  Rb or WR...draft says WR.  Either way, he's currently unemployed.

2013, they drafted 2.  Markus Wheaton, 3rd round.  Justin Brown, 6'th round.

They hit big with Brown in the 6'th, but really their WR drafts are hit or less, kind of like the rest of the league.

Edited by vegas492

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Pittsburgh is as hit or miss at WR as most everyone else.

Sammie Coates still with them?  3rd round pick, 2015.  6 catches this past year as a Brown.  2 years with Pitt.

Prior to him, everyone knows Martavis Bryant, a great 4'th round pick.  Know who wasn't so hot?  Their third round pick that year (2014) Dri Archer.  Rb or WR...draft says WR.  Either way, he's currently unemployed.

2013, they drafted 2.  Markus Wheaton, 3rd round.  Justin Brown, 6'th round.

They hit big with Brown in the 6'th, but really their WR drafts are hit or less, kind of like the rest of the league.

I mean, that's a hit rate most would be very proud of.  They are better than the rest of the league.  You can't just show their misses and not show every other team's misses.

Sanders, Brown, Bryant, JuJu

If we were hitting half-the-time on Janis, Davis, the kid from LSU, the kid from Purdue, the kid from Grand Valley State (Charles Johnson?), the kid from Maryland or something, McCaffrey from Duke, etc., we wouldn't be in this situation.  

Likewise if we'd hit better on Quarless, or Richard Rodgers, or that kid from Arkansas, or Brandon Bostick, we wouldn't be in this spot at TE either.  

They basically haven't been hitting on any pass-catching WR or TE after the 2nd round since Donald Driver last century.  OK, James Jones a career ago was a 3rd round success back in 2007, he's the only other after-2nd-round pass-catcher TT's scouting team was able to acquire this millenium.  

Need to invest a worthwhile pick, and maybe some dollars besides, to get more talented.  IMO, obviously!  :)

17 minutes ago, craig said:

They basically haven't been hitting on any pass-catching WR or TE after the 2nd round since Donald Driver last century.  OK, James Jones a career ago was a 3rd round success back in 2007, he's the only other after-2nd-round pass-catcher TT's scouting team was able to acquire this millenium.  

Need to invest a worthwhile pick, and maybe some dollars besides, to get more talented.  IMO, obviously!  :)

I hear where you're coming from......but they've not hit on any WRs since Donald Driver?

Nelson? He's on the tail end....but he certainly wasnt dog-meat.

Davante? The guy we just extended for a bunch of cash? 2nd round 2014.

Ty was gonna be a WR weapon - or at least thats what we drafted him for in the 3rd round of 2015.

I'm not dissing our WR corps overall......its was formidable a few years back - but we're due for a "reset" of some sort - either this offseason or next - and I think we need a talent recharge at the position - preferably (for me at least....) with the addition of some high draft selection (if thats what it takes) of a big, fast college WR  - not just a streak runner - who DCs need give serious attention to and who becomes the dangerous bookend to Davante.

Edited by Leader

16 minutes ago, craig said:

Need to invest a worthwhile pick, and maybe some dollars besides, to get more talented.  IMO, obviously!  :)

I hear where you're coming from......but they've not hit on any WRs since Donald Driver?

Davante? The guy we just extended for a bunch of cash? 2nd round 2014.

I'm not dissing our WR corps overall......its was formidable a few years back - but we're due for a "reset" of some sort - either this offseason or next - and I think we need a talent recharge at the position - preferably (for me at least....) with the addition of some high draft selection (if thats what it takes) of a big, fast college WR  - not just a streak runner - who DCs need give serious attention to and who becomes the dangerous bookend to Davante

He said past the second round.

Just now, squire12 said:
  16 minutes ago, craig said:

Need to invest a worthwhile pick, and maybe some dollars besides, to get more talented.  IMO, obviously!  :)

Davante? The guy we just extended for a bunch of cash? 2nd round 2014.

I'm not dissing our WR corps overall......its was formidable a few years back - but we're due for a "reset" of some sort - either this offseason or next - and I think we need a talent recharge at the position - preferably (for me at least....) with the addition of some high draft selection (if thats what it takes) of a big, fast college WR  - not just a streak runner - who DCs need give serious attention to and who becomes the dangerous bookend to Davante

He said past the second round.

Ahhhhhhhh....its these small fonts!  :)

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Davante? The guy we just extended for a bunch of cash? 2nd round 2014.

Ty was gonna be a WR weapon - or at least thats what we drafted him for in the 3rd round of 2015.

I'm not dissing our WR corps overall......its was formidable a few years back - but we're due for a "reset" of some sort - either this offseason or next - and I think we need a talent recharge at the position - preferably (for me at least....) with the addition of some high draft selection (if thats what it takes) of a big, fast college WR  - not just a streak runner - who DCs need give serious attention to and who becomes the dangerous bookend to Davante.

This.