Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think he wants one of a few things:

- wants to link his salary to the cap. Like every year he accounts for 30% of the packers cap. So as the cap increases so does his salary.

- opt outs built in. Ala Lebron James. After a certain amount of years he can opt out of his deal. To get a crack at a new deal when his deal because grossly out of date.

i don’t think he truly wants to have say over personnel. 

30%?! Good Lord!!! I'm not sure how far over 20% I'm willing to go, let alone all the way to 30%. Hell, Ryan's only like 17%. Never thought I'd see the day I'd even consider letting Aaron walk at 36...

Edited by HyponGrey

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

Facts are there is a salary cap and if Rodgers wants players to play in Green Bay to help him... to some degree he needs to take less than what he is truly worth. I think he knows this.

13 hours ago, Green19 said:

- wants to link his salary to the cap. Like every year he accounts for 30% of the packers cap. So as the cap increases so does his salary.

You are worying unnecessarily. Rodgers will never take 30% of the cap or anything close - that is $54m a year as the cap is now, rising every time the cap rises.

With the cap at $177.2m at the moment, he is like to get at, or a little less than,  20% ($35.4m).

Also, if his salary is linked to the cap, the pa figure would be lower than if it were a straight $x per year, because inflation would be taken into account across the life of the contract.

I still want to see him play.  He did rush back against Carolina and was awful.  Need to see Aaron in a few regular season games to make sure he still has it before forking over a massive new contract.  Everyone just assumes he'll be fine and is still the best QB in the league.  His agent can continue to play games all he wants.  Fact is we still have him under contract for 2 more seasons.  Also we control him for another 2 after that.  As far as tying his salary to a percentage of the cap that simply is not done.  Packers should just be patient and try to extend him either later this season or next year when we have more cap space.  All the big QB deals have been done already anyway.  How many seasons will he be able to perform at an elite level?  He's on the back nine.  Packers need to be careful not to cripple the franchise if things don't work out.  Aaron missed most of last season honestly don't think he is in the position to demand to be the highest paid player in the league right now.  Just to be clear he's one of my all time favorite Packers.  Nothing but love for Aaron but the team comes first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I still want to see him play.  He did rush back against Carolina and was awful.  Need to see Aaron in a few regular season games to make sure he still has it before forking over a massive new contract.  Everyone just assumes he'll be fine and is still the best QB in the league.  His agent can continue to play games all he wants.  Fact is we still have him under contract for 2 more seasons.  Also we control him for another 2 after that.  As far as tying his salary to a percentage of the cap that simply is not done.  Packers should just be patient and try to extend him either later this season or next year when we have more cap space.  All the big QB deals have been done already anyway.  How many seasons will he be able to perform at an elite level?  He's on the back nine.  Packers need to be careful not to cripple the franchise if things don't work out.  Aaron missed most of last season honestly don't think he is in the position to demand to be the highest paid player in the league right now.  Just to be clear he's one of my all time favorite Packers.  Nothing but love for Aaron but the team comes first.

Tying the best QB in the league to a long term deal is what is best for the team. A long term deal would likely lower his cap hit this year allowing for more flexibility and than you can dip into the $70+ mil in space next year. 

This franchise will never be crippled by an Aaron Rodgers contract...Oh and he does deserve to be the highest paid player in the league and should demand to be. 

Edited by TheBitzMan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You are worying unnecessarily. Rodgers will never take 30% of the cap or anything close - that is $54m a year as the cap is now, rising every time the cap rises.

With the cap at $177.2m at the moment, he is like to get at, or a little less than,  20% ($35.4m).

Also, if his salary is linked to the cap, the pa figure would be lower than if it were a straight $x per year, because inflation would be taken into account across the life of the contract.

Sorry I was just using 30% as an example, not that he would get that pre say.This was talked about early on in the process. That the way these contracts don’t become grossly out of date is to key them to the cap.

Either way the buzz is more around opt outs with Rodgers, which was the other option I thought he could be looking for. My counter agruement to Rodger would be then let’s just sign you to a new 3 year deal and come back to the table in 2.

Enter next year with one of the two first rounders they take a QB haha...

31 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Tying the best QB in the league to a long term deal is what is best for the team. A long term deal would likely lower his cap hit this year allowing for more flexibility and than you can dip into the $70+ mil in space next year. 

This franchise will never be crippled by an Aaron Rodgers contract...Oh and he does deserve to be the highest paid player in the league and should demand to be. 

But only if he is 100%.  This collarbone was his throwing arm and his premature comeback vs Carolina wasn't successful.

I think @Scoremore is right.  The team will sign him as soon as they're assured he is 100%.

33 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Is he the best QB in the league right now?  He missed most of last season and now has a plate with 13 screws in his throwing shoulder.  He was not the same when he tried to come back against Carolina.  Not even close.  Willing to give him a pass on that and also commend him for trying to save the season.  However before handing out the richest contract in NFL history I want to see him play in a few regular season games to prove he's back.  You are just like all the rest and simply assume he'll come back 100%.  I'd want him to prove it first.  This could be a disastrous signing if the Packers aren't careful.  What is the harm in waiting?  Are QB salaries going to escalate between now and Oct/Nov?  Doubt it.  Will add his agent is also playing hardball.  He doesn't deserve it right now.  Sorry.  Handing out a massive 150 million contact with north of 85 million guaranteed can't cripple the franchise?  Really?  It most certainly can if either Aaron doesn't come back the same or goes down early with another season or heaven forbid career ending injury.

Lol at 30% of the salary cap.  That's an exaggerated number.  If Aaron Rodgers demands 15% of the salary cap each year, we aren't winning any Super Bowls.  Highest cap percentage tied to a Super Bowl winning QB in NFL history was 13% of the cap, and that was Steve Young in a year the Niners literally cheated the salary cap.  If Rodgers demands that, he'll go down as my least favorite QB to ever play the game. 

35 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Is he the best QB in the league right now?  He missed most of last season and now has a plate with 13 screws in his throwing shoulder.  He was not the same when he tried to come back against Carolina.  Not even close.  Willing to give him a pass on that and also commend him for trying to save the season.  However before handing out the richest contract in NFL history I want to see him play in a few regular season games to prove he's back.  You are just like all the rest and simply assume he'll come back 100%.  I'd want him to prove it first.  This could be a disastrous signing if the Packers aren't careful.  What is the harm in waiting?  Are QB salaries going to escalate between now and Oct/Nov?  Doubt it.  Will add his agent is also playing hardball.  He doesn't deserve it right now.  Sorry.  Handing out a massive 150 million contact with north of 85 million guaranteed can't cripple the franchise?  Really?  It most certainly can if either Aaron doesn't come back the same or goes down early with another season or heaven forbid career ending injury.

I mean of course. They need to be sure he is 100% that is common sense. From all accounts he is healthy and looks great in practice. They wouldn't be so aggressively trying to lock him in to an extension if they weren't 100% sure he was fully healthy. I mean could he get hurt again? Any one could..

My main counterpoint to your post is that the Packers will never put themselves in a position that would cripple the franchise based on his contract. If Rodgers isn't healthy or isn't an above average QB the franchise is crippled in the short term either way. On top of that they are one of the best franchises in the league at managing the cap. Your argument in that regard is short sided and lacks context based on their history of cap management. 

Edited by TheBitzMan

45 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

But only if he is 100%.  This collarbone was his throwing arm and his premature comeback vs Carolina wasn't successful.

I think @Scoremore is right.  The team will sign him as soon as they're assured he is 100%.

This is common sense...why is this even a conversation. I doubt Gute would be so open about extending him if they worried about his health. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol at 30% of the salary cap.  That's an exaggerated number.  If Aaron Rodgers demands 15% of the salary cap each year, we aren't winning any Super Bowls.  Highest cap percentage tied to a Super Bowl winning QB in NFL history was 13% of the cap, and that was Steve Young in a year the Niners literally cheated the salary cap.  If Rodgers demands that, he'll go down as my least favorite QB to ever play the game. 

He's going to get more than 15% if he doesn't negotiate for a percentage. That's 26m per this year. Ryan got 30.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes it was exaggerated. I didn’t think people would take that for as what I was saying he was asking for. It was just to illustrate that he could be asking to tie his salary to the cap. Because that guards from him being “underpaid”.

Because if Rodgers adds another 5 years to his deal... it will be like a new 7 year deal and he won’t be able to get a new deal, until he is 41. So it’s either a percentage base salary, opt outs, or he only adds a year or two to his deal and they just kick the can down the road.

Im sure because Rodgers gets mad that guys like Ryan, Romo, Cousins, Smith and Stafford get overpaid compared to him. When he has won a Super Bowl and does what he does on a daily bases. So when the next non elite gets a crazy deal he wants to be like ok now let’s redo my contract.

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I didn't think Rodgers was going to pull more than 18% of the cap but he's really been padding his resume with the doctorate. Hard to ignore that when you're negotiating with Dr. Rodgers.

It’s honorary... he get Doctor added to his name when he gets a legit degree haha. He get that then maybe he can solve all the injuries GB gets too .

Edited by Green19