Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 6/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, Packerraymond said:

His 3rd deal is the deal we're on, and while it was a fair deal, it was before this QB boom we've seen. In today's NFL I think that deal is probably in the realm of what we're discussing him signing for today. Either QB prices are going to even out of fall in the future or past QB deals are going to be irrelevant to compare to once they're 3 years old.

I agree.  Fans are freaking out about the high per year salary number while failing to realize the massive increase in the cap.  When AR12 signed that 3rd contract (22 million per season), the salary cap was set at 123 million.  Today that cap is 177.2 million.  Even at slightly over 30 million a year he'll be taking up less cap space than he was in 2013 and I don't recall anyone saying his contract was going to hurt the Packers.  

Edited by SSG

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:05 AM, Scoremore said:

Thanks for taking up the mantle HZ.   Agree with most of your arguments.  Tying Aaron's contract to a percentage of the cap is suicide.  I'll defend Aaron here.  I think it is his agent that is pulling all this crap.  Bottom line is Aaron has no leverage.  A team friendly deal is the most likely outcome.  He'll become the highest paid player but it will be structured in such a way that is palatable.  He's really not a diva.  I think his agent that is the problem.  

Agree Aaron has maybe 4 years left that's about it.  He has been injury prone and it should be a major concern.  I am sure the Packers are concerned.  I'll also state that at this moment in time he is not the best QB in football.  He has to prove himself again IMO.  Blitz and just about everybody else assumes he's 100%.   I sure don't and hope the Packers test him thoroughly before a new deal is done.  

Aaron is human and subject to aging.  He is not in his prime anymore.  He's past it.  His performance will decline over the next few years.  He'll still be a great QB (I hope) but won't be the best in the league.  He's not Tom Brady.  Different type of player.  Bottom line Aaron is coming off of a major injury and does not deserve a massive contract at this point in time.  He might come out this season and not be the same.  We don't know.  Packers should be in no hurry to re-sign him regardless of how bad the media want us to.  Packers  should  see how he performs through the first half of the season before making that kind of commitment.  Nothing personal just business.  To sign him to a deal before training camp is a really bad idea.  I hope they don't do it.

HZ your point about trading him is a good one.  Ruthless but probably best for the franchise.  Let him play out his existing contract.  Tag him for a year.  Then trade him while we still have control.  We let him go at 38 and get multiple high picks to rebuild with.  Not very nice and doubt it's anything the Packers would actually do.  Aaron has been loyal to the Packers and should be taken care of.  He wants to finish his career with the Pack.  In order for that scenario to occur he'll have to recognize his declining skills and worth.  Be willing to accept a lesser deal later in his career.  The opt out BS his agent is floating isn't going to fly precisely for that reason. Really a ridiculous notion.  Why even bother at that point.  If they insist on it then let him finish out his existing contract and trade him.  We will find out a lot about Gute with how he handles this situation.

He could bin the agent.

Agree with the rest of this, 4 years is a pretty good approximation of his probable career length. Personally I wouldn't trade him as there's no guarantee we get anything with the picks. I would make the most of those 4 years and let him go with a handshake and a smiley face. Odds seem low to me that he is a top 10 QB after those 4 years.

Like others have said, happy to make him the highest paid QB if its a sensible deal. If its not then I think the above is fair. If Rodgers wants to take the business approach to negotiations then its fair for us to do the same. Be nice if after the 4 years, we both acknowledge its business from both sides and there's no hard feelings.

44 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  Fans are freaking out about the high per year salary number while failing to realize the massive increase in the cap.  When AR12 signed that 3rd contract (22 million per season), the salary cap was set at 123 million.  Today that cap is 177.2 million.  Even at slightly over 30 million a year he'll be taking up less cap space than he was in 2013 and I don't recall anyone saying his contract was going to hurt the Packers.  

In 2013, he was at his peak. There was no way you let the best QB in the league in his peak go so everyone was happy to get a deal that didn't leave us destitute.

In 2018, he is past his best and declining - we have him under contract for 2 years and possibly 4 at which point he is likely to be in serious decline. Nobody is freaking out but we should have ALL of the leverage here and shouldn't even be entertaining a deal that isn't relatively team friendly. 

Just now, SSG said:

You've been freaking out since the new contract started being discussed.  

Yeah, about his contract being tied to a cap percentage.  As I've said literally (at least) half a dozen times.  If  you'd take the time to remove your Rodge Goggles, wipe them clean a little bit for clearer viewing, you'd understand that very simple basis for "freaking out" instead of having this paranoid delusion that everybody is freaking out about Rodgers getting paid 30 million dollars.  Because literally nobody is freaking out about that. 

I don't see the tie to cap percentage as big deal at this point.  I haven't seen projections for the cap going forward, but I have wondered for some time if we haven't peaked on the revenue side and if we might see a flatter cap over the next period of time.

If heaven forbid, the cap goes down, the current crop of large back end loaded contracts would be a huge problem.  If the cap is flat, then the percentage issue doesn't change much.  

I have to wonder if NFL teams aren't a bit like California home buyers 10 years ago- thinking that the price will always go up. 

22 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

In 2013, he was at his peak. There was no way you let the best QB in the league in his peak go so everyone was happy to get a deal that didn't leave us destitute.

In 2018, he is past his best and declining - we have him under contract for 2 years and possibly 4 at which point he is likely to be in serious decline. Nobody is freaking out but we should have ALL of the leverage here and shouldn't even be entertaining a deal that isn't relatively team friendly. 

He's still the best QB in the game though.  He was leading the league in TDs last year prior to the injury and is just one year removed from his second best season as a pro.  He's playing his best football right now.  Saying his play has declined is misinformed IMO.  

Keeping Rodgers criminally underpaid isn't going to help anyone.  We seen the dumpster fire that this team is without him as we're a whole lot closer to being one of the NFL's worst than a playoff contender without #12.

49 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, about his contract being tied to a cap percentage.  As I've said literally (at least) half a dozen times.  If  you'd take the time to remove your Rodge Goggles, wipe them clean a little bit for clearer viewing, you'd understand that very simple basis for "freaking out" instead of having this paranoid delusion that everybody is freaking out about Rodgers getting paid 30 million dollars.  Because literally nobody is freaking out about that. 

I've got no goggles on.  I seen the dumpster fire this team was without him last year.  Not everyone thinks that you can win a super bowl with a pizza delivery man at QB. Tht any warm body can have success at QB in the NFL.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Just my interpretation but I don't think you've done anything but freak out about the contract. 

At 30 Million dollars a year he's taking up less of a cap percentage than he did in 2013, a deal you claimed to be fair.  

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't see the tie to cap percentage as big deal at this point.  I haven't seen projections for the cap going forward, but I have wondered for some time if we haven't peaked on the revenue side and if we might see a flatter cap over the next period of time.

If heaven forbid, the cap goes down, the current crop of large back end loaded contracts would be a huge problem.  If the cap is flat, then the percentage issue doesn't change much.  

I have to wonder if NFL teams aren't a bit like California home buyers 10 years ago- thinking that the price will always go up. 

I will expand on my point:

Matt Ryan's new contract has the following cap hits: (per spotrac)

2018:    17,700,000 

2019:    22,800,000

2020:    31,800,000

2021:    34,300,000

2022:   35,050,000

2023:   30,000,000 (age 38, probably doesn't get here without a decision already made about another extension)

In reality, the Ryan contract, which is not atypical, most likely is consuming a larger cap space each year.  Thus I don't see linking it to cap percentage as either a big deal or revolutionary.  

I would have to believe that the Rodgers contract discussion involves a lot of issues and possibilities.  I am just guessing though, that the hang up/difficult discussion revolves around 1) how do the two sides deal with how long the contract is?, and 2)then on a longer contract how do you balance the needs of the team if injury and age cause him to deteriorate before the end of the contract, but still pay him what he is worth if he is still on top of the league.  Not easy to do without a time machine.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

The only thing that’s been leaked so far is reports that Rodgers wanted an out in his contract. Most agree that it’s unlikely he’d get one until the 5th year because GB has affordable ways of keeping control over him over the next 4 years as it stands. The cap percentage thing is pure speculation at this point, there’s no evidence Rodgers has even asked for it as far as I know of. It’s far more likely that if he were to go that route that he’d have escalators like Roethlisburger does. Most commenters I’ve seen don’t see a cap percentage as likely at all. The other (speculative) option I’ve seen is a buyout clause like Calvin Johnson’s old contract. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

@AlexGreen#20 congrats on catching Manziel's first CFL TD pass.

So googling this was a load of awesomeness. Not only did I learn Alex Green is in the CFL, Manziel is ******* Masoli's backup. And it looks like Moniz from Hawaii is ahead of him too. And the team they played is coached by Mike ******* Sherman.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

So googling this was a load of awesomeness. Not only did I learn Alex Green is in the CFL, Manziel is ******* Masoli's backup. And it looks like Moniz from Hawaii is ahead of him too. And the team they played is coached by Mike ******* Sherman.

CFL!

13 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I love watching the talent that moves through the CFL. The Calgary Stampeders have been long time supporters of Iowa QBs, most recently with Drew Tate as their back up and Ricky Stanzi as their 3. I'm still clinging onto hope of my boy Americanzi climbing the ranks and becoming a pro football legend.

• Like 1