Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 6/26/2018 at 1:10 PM, eyecatcher said:

Per a couple of ESB's draft profiles his weaknesses include:

• Hand strength is below average
  • Has catches that turn into drops due to lack of hand strength through contact
  • Inconsistent hands

To be fair St. Brown looked like a late first early second rounder when he had a decent arm in Kizer throwing to him.   Last year Wimbush was awful and he did nothing to help St. Brown.  Now he has AR throwing him the ball who knows.  I like his upside also but like you and others have said, time will tell.  

Hand strength should be the least of anybodies worries as its one of the easiest things to turn around. A month or two of the proper exercise regimen and someone with with a "mushy" handshake can become someone who can break rocks with his hands.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Stick (five / ten yards out - stop / turn to receive the ball?)

COP

Poker

?

In a general sense.... :)

Stick is usually 5 yards, hitch is 8-10 and a turn toward the field and can also be called a curl, comeback is 10-12 and toward the sideline. COP is what we called a corner-post and a poker was a post-corner. There's others I didn't mention like a sluggo is commonly used as slant & go. An "in" can be called a "dig." A drag is an in route that drags across the field, in college we called that an USOM (under SAM/slot, over MIKE) to help the route runner. A wheel is a flat and go from the slot or backfield. Then you have your screen routes. Personally never felt learning a route tree was difficult once you mastered the mental aspects of it and were a good athlete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Hand strength should be the least of anybodies worries as its one of the easiest things to turn around. A month or two of the proper exercise regimen and someone with with a "mushy" handshake can become someone who can break rocks with his hands.

I get that.  I was pointing out that what scoremore said was a strength of his was considered a weakness by the talking heads.   

53 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I get that.  I was pointing out that what scoremore said was a strength of his was considered a weakness by the talking heads.   

Understood and not a point of contention. I was just chiming in.

In my own opinion - hand strength is low on the totem pole of concerns as its so easily corrected - plus - if you throw on some "Super Glue NFL Authorized Wide Receiver Stat Destroying" gloves - you'll be making one handed snags in no time! The ball will stop and stick as if it was caught up on Velcro. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood and not a point of contention. I was just chiming in.

In my own opinion - hand strength is low on the totem pole of concerns as its so easily corrected - plus - if you throw on some "Super Glue NFL Authorized Wide Receiver Stat Destroying" gloves - you'll be making one handed snags in no time! The ball will stop and stick as if it was caught up on Velcro. 

Meh, the gloves NFL receivers wear are the same kind that you can buy at ****’s Sporting Goods. He’s not going to be using gloves of a higher caliber than he already was wearing at ND. 

9 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Meh, the gloves NFL receivers wear are the same kind that you can buy at ****’s Sporting Goods. He’s not going to be using gloves of a higher caliber than he already was wearing at ND. 

You may be right but he will have a QB that will hit him in the hands.  Unlike what he had at ND.  :D

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

As Robert Plant often said: "Can anybody remember laughter?"