Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Greg C. said:

I would say that a close #2 hassle with #88 is that he didn't really look the part as the starting RB last year. His yards per carry was slightly better than Williams', but with less than half the carries, and Williams got better as the season went on. I just didn't see the instincts with Montgomery. He looked kind of musclebound and not good at hitting the holes, and it seemed as if the opposition had figured him out. But him and Williams (and maybe someone else) will have to carry the load for the first two games. They'll be okay, but neither of them is the game breaker that Jones is. 

Temper that thought with the memory of all the issues with the OL at the start of last season.

The rookie backs were not ready to play leaving Montgomery to get beaten up with a patchwork OL in front of him.  Too much work, too little support lead to broken ribs and a washed out season.

I agree he is not the explosive back that Jones is, and may not work out as an NFL back, but I wouldn't over read last year.   

I think that is true of the offense in general- the early OL injuries, and then Rodgers going down, made it hard to evaluate anybody last year.

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wonder why he got a 2 game suspension .. maybe should have appealed in hopes of getting it cut back to one game. 

Do we always know when they appeal? Maybe he did?

Stay off the weeeeeee-duh

I'm not concerned about the first two games of the season at all. Two division rivals at home. One with a ton of new parts that will take a ton of time to gel and the other with a new QB who sucks on the road and will be playing his first road game with a new team, a new offense, and a new coordinator for said offense with a weak OL...

Edited by Joe

On 7/4/2018 at 1:36 AM, Scoremore said:

No not really.  He's a real good back but we also will be getting Montgomery back.  He's every bit as good as Jones.   We will also have Williams as well.  Not sure who will be #3 at this point.  Maybe Mayes makes the 53.  Not worried we have some depth.

I disagree.  Its a pretty big loss as Jones was our best pure RB.  Monty is a much better receiver than runner who lacks the vision and durability to be an every down back.  He was pretty horrid last year as a runner.  Williams is more of a plodder who will lucky to get you over 3 yards a carry in most games.  His vision isn't all that great and he lacks any sort of explosion.  Losing Jones is a big loss.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

I disagree.  Its a pretty big loss as Jones was our best pure RB.  Monty is a much better receiver than runner who lacks the vision and durability to be an every down back.  He was pretty horrid last year as a runner.  Williams is more of a plodder who will lucky to get you over 3 yards a carry in most games.  His vision isn't all that great and he lacks any sort of explosion.  Losing Jones is a big loss.

It's not really a big loss when he's only gone for 2 weeks and you're a pass first team, and I think youre slightly exaggerating how poor Williams and Ty is, if they stay healthy those guys can do some damage, especially Williams whom got so much better at the end of the year. You just need to use these guys correctly, Ty more so as a 3rd down back will suit him better.

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think it's always made public .. perhaps he did appeal.  I just figured he'd only get a one game suspension for the pot violation.

He was cited for driving while under the influence of a controlled substance. I think the NFL regards that worse than possession. I'm glad he didn't appeal. Take responsibility for your actions, put it behind you and move on.  

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/05/explaining-why-packers-rb-aaron-jones-was-suspended-2-games/

The league’s policy states that a violation of the law involving substances of abuse other than alcohol results in a suspension of up to four games for a first-time offender.  "It will be in Jones’ best interest to avoid a similar situation. A second offense comes with a minimum six-game suspension."

Once the PoPo is involved, the rules are completely different than just whiffing a pee test.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/05/explaining-why-packers-rb-aaron-jones-was-suspended-2-games/

The league’s policy states that a violation of the law involving substances of abuse other than alcohol results in a suspension of up to four games for a first-time offender.  "It will be in Jones’ best interest to avoid a similar situation. A second offense comes with a minimum six-game suspension."

Once the PoPo is involved, the rules are completely different than just whiffing a pee test.

I don't have a big issue with him getting two games as rules are rules but I would like someone to explain how Rueben Foster gets 2 games when he had two interactions with law enforcement.  One was a drug offense and the other was a weapons charge with domestic violence involved.  The NFL has no clue how to punish players for breaking rules.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the Packers have a little fun with the open roster spot while Aaron Jones is suspended.

Call up Rent-a-Vet and place an order for 2 ancient RBs, 1 week each

Week 1 - play Matt Forte vs da bears

Week 2 -  play Adrian Peterson vs vikes