Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Chili said:

Barnes clearly outplayed him and bringing in Campbell was a clue I should've taken more seriously. When a draft pick doesn't work out you bring in a FA. Still I thought he makes it as 3rd ILB at the very least.

Campbell's production was too much to pass up at that price and he's proven to be durable as well. I would've still brought him in even if I had two solid starters with some young guys behind him.

35 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At ILB, I was thinking cut Summers and give Martin one more chance.  But doing the opposite is not a shocker.

Right with you on that one. I've come to the conclusion that Summers is really only on this team for his ST's ability and I'm not sold on his talent there either...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joe said:

Campbell's production was too much to pass up at that price and he's proven to be durable as well. I would've still brought him in even if I had two solid starters with some young guys behind him.

Right with you on that one. I've come to the conclusion that Summers is really only on this team for his ST's ability and I'm not sold on his talent there either...

If I read correctly, Summers was one of the guys that was using the communication helmet.  I think he is a really poor man's Blake Martinez.  I think that Martin was a guy that would really lay the wood, if he happened to guess right.  Perhaps he would have looked good doing what Oren Burks did in PS1, but he is not the athlete, and dare I say, football player, that Burks is either.  

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If I read correctly, Summers was one of the guys that was using the communication helmet.  I think he is a really poor man's Blake Martinez.  I think that Martin was a guy that would really lay the wood, if he happened to guess right.  Perhaps he would have looked good doing what Oren Burks did in PS1, but he is not the athlete, and dare I say, football player, that Burks is either.  

Lol @ the Burks hype from PS game 1. He had a great timed blitz and went in unblocked, I guess that was the turning of the stone all right there. And no, I'm not saying players can't develop, but I'm still not holding my breath for Burks.

Back to Martin, I didn't too much care for the draft pick at the time. I knew when we got Krys Barnes as an UDFA that we already had a better player there. I'm guessing Martin's injuries and body isn't holding up well, much like the majority of his career at UM. Color me not shocked.

• Like 1

Paul Bretl -  

Jaire Alexander
Eric Stokes
Kevin King
Chandon Sullivan
Kabion Ento
Shemar Jean-Charles
Isaac Yiadom

Last year the Packers kept 6 CBs on the initial roster, do they keep 7 this year?
While Yiadom has had his ups and downs in coverage, he’s an experienced ST player.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -  

Jaire Alexander
Eric Stokes
Kevin King
Chandon Sullivan
Kabion Ento
Shemar Jean-Charles
Isaac Yiadom

Last year the Packers kept 6 CBs on the initial roster, do they keep 7 this year?
While Yiadom has had his ups and downs in coverage, he’s an experienced ST player.

Yiadom is a lock at least for me because otherwise you're going into the season with your top 3 backup CBs having never played a down of real NFL football. Doesn't seem very responsible. I know Ento is most peoples' camp darling right now because he's flashed a few times, but I still see a pretty raw player who easily makes it onto our PS. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yiadom is a lock at least for me because otherwise you're going into the season with your top 3 backup CBs having never played a down of real NFL football. Doesn't seem very responsible. I know Ento is most peoples' camp darling right now because he's flashed a few times, but I still see a pretty raw player who easily makes it onto our PS. 

Could very well be. When we swapped Jackson for Yiadom, I saw his ST skills as being the positive for the team - which could put another strong ST - but challenged on the field defender - on the outs. The name I pulled out of a hat was Redmond - but injuries may have done him in anyway. Cant say I want to see Yiadom in coverage anytime soon - but since I've never actually see it....who knows. Maybe he'll surprise. 

Ento's got skills and upside. Is he there yet and can contribute on game day? Cant say for sure.
Maybe the BUF game will sort things out.

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly speaking, how many CB4-CB6 are full of experience?

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could very well be. When we swapped Jackson for Yiadom, I saw his ST skills as being the positive for the team - which could put another strong ST - but challenged on the field defender - on the outs. The name I pulled out of a hat was Redmond - but injuries may have done him in anyway. Cant say I want to see Yiadom in coverage anytime soon - but since I've never actually see it....who knows. Maybe he'll surprise. 

Ento's got skills and upside. Is he there yet and can contribute on game day? Cant say for sure.
Maybe the BUF game will sort things out.

If Yiadom makes the roster, it's because of ST value.