Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, CWood21 said:

Honestly speaking, how many CB4-CB6 are full of experience?

I'd like to have one at least. Was hoping it would be Jackson, but he just wasn't cutting it. Yiadom is average at best, but I think he's decent quality for a backup player. 

Just now, Norm said:

Not many but having those back three with absolutely none seems pretty damn uncommon too, yeah?

Most rosters have 3 CBs with experience and one with little to none.  CB5 and CB6 really aren't going to be anything more than developmental types and ST players.

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'd like to have one at least. Was hoping it would be Jackson, but he just wasn't cutting it. Yiadom is average at best, but I think he's decent quality for a backup player. 

Do you really believe there's that many viable CBs out there?  Let's go look at some of the other CB rooms around the league.

LA Rams: Robert Rochell (4th round rookie) / Kareem Orr (2 year vet, 7 GP)
Baltimore: Nigel Warrior (1 year vet, 0 GP) / Shaun Wade (5th round rookie)

I could keep going, but the point still remains.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Do you really believe there's that many viable CBs out there?  Let's go look at some of the other CB rooms around the league.

LA Rams: Robert Rochell (4th round rookie) / Kareem Orr (2 year vet, 7 GP)
Baltimore: Nigel Warrior (1 year vet, 0 GP) / Shaun Wade (5th round rookie)

I could keep going, but the point still remains.

Why do we care about what other teams are doing? The Bucs have Ross Cockrell as their No. 4 guy who's a veteran player (and decent actually). Either way, I care about the Packers. CB is not a position where I'm good with 3 basically rookie backups, especially with a No. 2 CB who is often hurt. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. hard to call a 5th rounder a bust, but I think he was one of the darlings of camp last year and then fizzled once the bright lights came on.  Still, I think a lot of folks were expecting him to make a push for a starting gig this year and he just wound up sinking down the depth chart.

That’s what surprised me, he was getting his fair share if camp hype and had some suddenness to his game. Then he was injured and couldn’t hold onto his spot in the regular season so I guess they got a good enough evaluation of the player. Barry also was a former ILB coach and presumably has a specific role he wants his guys to play, I guess KM was not able to do it. McDuffie gets in on ST is my guess along with Summers. Burks might have finally clicked or be the beneficiary of fitting Barry’s prototype.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Why do we care about what other teams are doing? The Bucs have Ross Cockrell as their No. 4 guy who's a veteran player (and decent actually). Either way, I care about the Packers. CB is not a position where I'm good with 3 basically rookie backups, especially with a No. 2 CB who is often hurt. 

Because CBs that aren't liabilities are usually high valued around the league.  Why would you be CB5 when you could be CB3 for another team?

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -  

Jaire Alexander
Eric Stokes
Kevin King
Chandon Sullivan
Kabion Ento
Shemar Jean-Charles
Isaac Yiadom

Last year the Packers kept 6 CBs on the initial roster, do they keep 7 this year?
While Yiadom has had his ups and downs in coverage, he’s an experienced ST player.

We keep 6. I think SJC gets PS invite only after the Yiadom trade. It was a talking point w/ staff that our STs need more experienced guys. I suspect that comes to fruition on this decision.

Haven't seen anything from SJC that indicates he wouldn't clear waivers. He wasn't even good enough for his own number.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1