Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Zach Kruse -    Bears trade Anthony Miller to Texans, opening the door for the Packers to trade for Randall Cobb. And now the Packers are getting the seventh-round pick that came along with Miller from Chicago in the trade sending Ka'dar Hollman to Houston.

///

Thanks Chicago :)  

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because CBs that aren't liabilities are usually high valued around the league.  Why would you be CB5 when you could be CB3 for another team?

All that is fine. I think we're straying from the point. I value Yiadom's experience. I value that he started 10 games last season for the Giants even with probably below average results. I think that experience is valuable in game situations that Ento hasn't experienced yet in his career. If I'm the Texans, looking at a 3-win season, I'm keeping Ento over Yiadom if I had to choose between them. If I'm the Packers hoping for a SB birth, I want the guy with more experience. Either way, Ento will be available on our PS any time we want to use him. 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We keep 6. I think SJC gets PS invite only after the Yiadom trade. It was a talking point w/ staff that our STs need more experienced guys. I suspect that comes to fruition on this decision.

Haven't seen anything from SJC that indicates he wouldn't clear waivers. He wasn't even good enough for his own number.

I could definitely see Ento over SJC given their camps, but first year draft picks usually get that preference. We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I could definitely see Ento over SJC given their camps, but first year draft picks usually get that preference. We'll see. 

And all this time I thought the better player got the advantage, if all things were relatively equal. I think Ento is a lot better than SJC personally. 

38 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you really believe there's that many viable CBs out there?  Let's go look at some of the other CB rooms around the league.

LA Rams: Robert Rochell (4th round rookie) / Kareem Orr (2 year vet, 7 GP)
Baltimore: Nigel Warrior (1 year vet, 0 GP) / Shaun Wade (5th round rookie)

I could keep going, but the point still remains.

The two team example where one doesn't even reflect what we're even talking about was very compelling. I stand corrected. 

Lol

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You get a year out of a 5th rounder, it's not really a bust. 

Bust is overstating but bit of a disappointment. The middle rounds (4th/5th) are great for building depth in the roster. Gutey traded away the 4th rounder (as usual) so Martin failing means there's a huge hole in the middle of the draft. 

The triple slam in the 6th round on OL seems to have worked with Runyan though to make up for it. With hindsight we probably could have just picked the one as it was the next Hansen and Stepaniak that haven't worked out but really having the three swings in the 6th was a good move. 

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

And all this time I thought the better player got the advantage, if all things were relatively equal. I think Ento is a lot better than SJC personally. 

There are other factors. Who is less likely to clear waivers? But more importantly, who is perceived to have more upside?Guys who get drafted are drafted because they are perceived to have more upside than those who don't. It may sometimes take more than 2 preseason games for that upside to emerge. Malik Taylor has played better in 2 preseason games than Amari Rodgers. Should Rodgers be the one on the bubble? 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

There are other factors. Who is less likely to clear waivers? But more importantly, who is perceived to have more upside?Guys who get drafted are drafted because they are perceived to have more upside than those who don't. It may sometimes take more than 2 preseason games for that upside to emerge. Malik Taylor has played better in 2 preseason games than Amari Rodgers. Should Rodgers be the one on the bubble? 

Already went through this once and don't want to re-hash it, but................

Rodgers has a lot more upside than Taylor, no brainer. 

IMO, Ento has more upside than SJC and he's a better player right now. 

It is also not outside of the possible they both make it over Yiadom. 

It's that simple for me. 

Edited by Old Guy

Andy Herman -  It blows my mind that the Packers could make the simple request of not being loud when the team is on offense, a request they shouldn’t need to make, & some people are like, nah I’ll make noise when I want. We’re caught between the “sit down always” crowd & “always make noise”

• Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   Do I think it serves the best interests of the Packers offense to be quiet on offense? Yes. Do I think most fans in the stands care to modify their behavior so the offensive line can have an easier time while they pay north of $1,000 for a family of 4 game-day experience? No.
  • I’m not the guy doing the wave on offense or screaming as the team approaches the line of scrimmage. But for every one of me how many simply do not give a ****? Converting them? You have better chances of the Packers trading for OBJ!