Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Went to Home Depot on Monday.  Some guy tried to walk out with a loaded cart of power saws, drills, and a generator.  A HD worker saw him, told him to stop, he ditched the cart and ran out the door.  

That is how they caught Charles Ng and Leonard Lake.

• Like 1

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   An update on the Packers 2022 salary cap outlook:

If they:
Cut: Preston, Cobb, Lowry, Lewis
Extend: Jaire, Z Smith
Restructure: Clark, Bakh (RB), Jones
Trade: Rodgers

Gives about $12.5M for all Free Agents, including: Adams, MVS, Tonyan, Sullivan, Lazard, Ento, etc.

This actually doesn't factor in replacements for the 5 cuts leaving. The minimum cost of a 1st year rookie will be $705,000 in 2022.....

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -   Most special teams snaps this preseason (PFF):

Gaines 32
Ento 31
Black 23
Harris 22
D. Williams 21
Kaufusi 21
Rivers 20
Wilborn 19
Uphoff 18

I wish they'd break these down by which unit was played.

Punt

Kickoff

Punt Return

Kickoff Return

FG

FG Block

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -   Most special teams snaps this preseason (PFF):

Gaines 32
Ento 31
Black 23
Harris 22
D. Williams 21
Kaufusi 21
Rivers 20
Wilborn 19
Uphoff 18

With Redmond on IR and Hollman gone it feels like Gaines is all but a sure thing to make the squad at this point.  None of the depth CB have stood out the way he has at S and he's getting plenty of ST snaps; these all point to him sticking around.  Way I figure it:

• DL (5): Clark, Lowry, Slaton, Keke, Lancaster/Heflin
  • OLB (5): Smith, Smith, Gary, Garvin, Rivers/Galeai
  • ILB (4): Barnes, Burks, Campbell, Summers
  • CB (6): Alexander, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Ento
  • S (5): Savage, Amos, Black, Scott, Gaines

It's entirely possible they go 4 at OLB, but I think you gotta be wary going too light in your front seven, even if you intend to play a lot of DBs in the nickle/dime.  Think Lancaster/Heflin and Rivers/Galeai could go either way; Garvin's spot seems safe even if he hasn't really taken the jump you would hope for in year 2.  McDuffie seems destined for the PS at this point with the lack of ST snaps, and with Martin gone there's no one else really worth an active roster spot at ILB.  But just on paper this is a stacked defense; if Burks is actually for real you have to feel very good about your starters at every level of the defense.  All-Pro talent at DT, CB, S, and OLB with solid depth and decent ILB is a recipe for a hell of a D.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

With Redmond on IR and Hollman gone it feels like Gaines is all but a sure thing to make the squad at this point.  None of the depth CB have stood out the way he has at S and he's getting plenty of ST snaps; these all point to him sticking around.  Way I figure it:

It's entirely possible they go 4 at OLB, but I think you gotta be wary going too light in your front seven, even if you intend to play a lot of DBs in the nickle/dime.  Think Lancaster/Heflin and Rivers/Galeai could go either way; Garvin's spot seems safe even if he hasn't really taken the jump you would hope for in year 2.  McDuffie seems destined for the PS at this point with the lack of ST snaps, and with Martin gone there's no one else really worth an active roster spot at ILB.  But just on paper this is a stacked defense; if Burks is actually for real you have to feel very good about your starters at every level of the defense.  All-Pro talent at DT, CB, S, and OLB with solid depth and decent ILB is a recipe for a hell of a D

Barnes and Campbell have the ILB snaps wrapped up. Burks will make the team because of special teams.

I think Gaines, Uphoff, Yiadom, Rivers, Galeai, and McDuffie are fighting for 2-3 spots based on special teams alone. I’m not sure who are best at it.

7 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Barnes and Campbell have the ILB snaps wrapped up. Burks will make the team because of special teams.

I think Gaines, Uphoff, Yiadom, Rivers, Galeai, and McDuffie are fighting for 2-3 spots based on special teams alone. I’m not sure who are best at it.

I don't expose a guy like CVL for any of those guys except maybe Gaines and Yiadom.

I'd keep an extra OL this year.

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

It's entirely possible they go 4 at OLB, but I think you gotta be wary going too light in your front seven, even if you intend to play a lot of DBs in the nickle/dime.  Think Lancaster/Heflin and Rivers/Galeai could go either way; Garvin's spot seems safe even if he hasn't really taken the jump you would hope for in year 2.  McDuffie seems destined for the PS at this point with the lack of ST snaps, and with Martin gone there's no one else really worth an active roster spot at ILB.  But just on paper this is a stacked defense; if Burks is actually for real you have to feel very good about your starters at every level of the defense.  All-Pro talent at DT, CB, S, and OLB with solid depth and decent ILB is a recipe for a hell of a D.

The thing about Garvin is that he is still just 22, 2 years younger than his competition.  I think that he also has the highest ceiling of the bunch, and none of them has really been a stand out in preseason games or camp reports.  I think you give that guy a little more time to develop.  It isn't like we have a Jayrone Elliot on the roster right now pushing the issue.  

Is anyone else leaning more toward Lancaster than Heflin, or is it just me? I think I prefer the veteran with a little more anchor.  

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is anyone else leaning more toward Lancaster than Heflin, or is it just me? I think I prefer the veteran with a little more anchor.  

I don't think Lancaster is as much on the bubble as I think people wish he were.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think it is Lancaster for this year.  I like Heflin, hope he makes it to our PS.  He can be on the team next year when we are going through a little bit of a transition year.