Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

TJ was seen as a tier 2 edge prospect who wasn’t twitchy/high ceiling (why he went late 1). He was seen as the boring consensus guy 50% of people had us going since he would likely be there and we needed an edge

There were rumors Seattle wanted king since they wanted Sherman’s aire (big long corner).  

what makes the pick worse is we got completely nothing from our extra 4th on Biegel.

Throwing away that 4th is what stings. I know Watt was a no brainer pick for GB but as you said, there was a reason 30 other teams did not see him as a 1st rounder. KIng is in his last year here outside of any unimaginable circumstances. I hope the guy makes the most of it for his and the team’s sake. He does have some strengths and can flash with NFL level ability. He also has plenty of breakdowns and has earned his position as a scapegoat until he redeems himself.

I’m ready to move on but hope he makes a game winning play late in the season just to see some heads explode. In the meantime, he gives every fatalistic Packer fan something to be miserable about so at least they have that. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Yes they needed a starting CB and that is why they signed Devon House in the off season that year and he was the starting CB with Randall manning the other CB spot. TT never drafted for need, he always took the best player on his board. FA is for filling needs, the draft is for building the talent base. Amazing how many fans don't get that. 

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make.....that TT only drafted BPA (and never need) and therefore King was that guy.

Could be / dont know other than position-wise, it was GB's greatest or most immediate need. So perhaps the stars and the moon lined up and King represented both.

I disagree that GB never drafts for need and only uses FA to fill those holes. If that were the case, it could be argued that given the limited number of FA's signed that GB had very few holes over an extended period - which I dont believe to be the case.

Edited by Leader

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Now it’s the PTSD from watching Scotty Miller burn King for 6 slapping us in the face with the need of a competent CB kind of desperation. Let’s hope Stokes is that guy and can stay healthy. 

Perhaps.  But CB is a premium position.  Outside of Jaire, who is due a major pay increase, we were looking at a roster of:  Josh Jackson, Ka'dar Hollman, Kabion Ento, Stanford Samuel, and Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King both of whom you will either want to replace or will also be too expensive with the rest of the cap.  CB was a pretty good choice, and Stokes seems to fit the bill so far.  That said, Randall looked pretty nice as a rookie as well.  

57 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make.....that TT only drafted BPA (and never need) and therefore King was that guy.

Could be / dont know other than position-wise, it was GB's greatest or most immediate need. So perhaps the stars and the moon lined up and King represented both.

I disagree that GB never drafts for need and only uses FA to fill those holes. If that were the case, it could be argued that given the limited number of FA's signed that GB had very few holes over an extended period - which I dont believe to be the case.

Again, I think what the issue here is, is the word "desperation." TT most certainly drafted for need.  What he didn't really seem to do is jump the board because he needed position A and player X is the best remaining fit for that position.  If anything, TT was the value king, which is why he had guys like Rodgers and Bulaga fall to him and he pulled the trigger when other people over thought the process chasing something.

That isn't to say that he didn't draft any busts.  But his most WTF picks were Nick Collins and Damarious Randall.  

To me a desperation pick is Ron Wolf drafting 3 defensive backs in a row because OMG Randy Moss in 1999.

*just a couple fun stats that I gleaned looking at the draft history

-Kyler Fackrell and Kenny Clark have the same number of sacks and games played

-Josh Jones has played in more games than Kevin King.  So has Montravius Adams

-The player from the 2010 draft with the most games played:  Marshall Newhouse

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Well, go ahead and call it an over-reaction, but that probably just about kills our chances at a legitimate SB run, especially if it turns out to be season-ending (which is what this sounds like). 

Wonder if this is a classic “hold in” situation. And if it was a situation where he didn’t need the surgery but finally got it when contract talks didn’t go his way.

obviously not saying that’s what this is... just curious if so. Because he was reportedly upset with his contract.

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Wonder if this is a classic “hold in” situation. And if it was a situation where he didn’t need the surgery but finally got it when contract talks didn’t go his way.

obviously not saying that’s what this is... just curious if so. Because he was reportedly upset with his contract.

I thought they resolved that though and moved some more money his way? With that said at least it's a long season it's early if he takes 10-12 weeks off he can maybe play week 16-17 and be ready for the playoffs.

If they think it's not a season ender there is a chance. 

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Well, go ahead and call it an over-reaction, but that probably just about kills our chances at a legitimate SB run, especially if it turns out to be season-ending (which is what this sounds like). 

It hurts it a bit if he can't make it back by the time the playoffs hit but I dont think Z is key to us winning the whole thing, the backend/run d has to play better in the big games. I think we can still salvage a good pass rush with Preston/Gary/Clark. We need someone  else to emerge for sure, but if they stay on course it won't be as bad as we think.

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Lmao its a massive over-reaction. This isnt Rodgers who had this surgery.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And there it is. You just knew there was something more regarding this back injury of his that cost him ALL of training camp and then he was immediately placed on IR after he surprisingly played in Week 1.

Brutal news but sadly not too surprising. Here's hoping he can return at some point this season but it's not something I'll be holding out for.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   If Za'Darius Smith is out for the rest of the season his salary cap number next year would be $27,659,412.

The Packers will not keep him at that cap number and likely be hesitant to extend him to lower this number.
Tough decisions ahead - especially with their 2022 cap crunch.

6 minutes ago, PackFiend said:

Lmao its a massive over-reaction. This isnt Rodgers who had this surgery.

So what teams have won recently without a great pass rush? This hurts don't kid yourself. We have had a blitz quite a bit more this year so far to get pressure. Not to mention we're dam thin now if someone else takes a nick. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   If Za'Darius Smith is out for the rest of the season his salary cap number next year would be $27,659,412.

The Packers will not keep him at that cap number and likely be hesitant to extend him to lower this number.

What's the hit to release him after the year? 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's gone