Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   If Za'Darius Smith is out for the rest of the season his salary cap number next year would be $27,659,412.

The Packers will not keep him at that cap number and likely be hesitant to extend him to lower this number.
Tough decisions ahead - especially with their 2022 cap crunch.

It’s really tough to see Z back in GB next year now. On the open market, 30 off an injury, he’s probably just getting 1 year incentive deals (which from an ego standpoint he’s not going to like). 

Either way without both Smiths, we really need to draft like 2 edges high

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   If Za'Darius Smith is out for the rest of the season his salary cap number next year would be $27,659,412.

The Packers will not keep him at that cap number and likely be hesitant to extend him to lower this number.
Tough decisions ahead - especially with their 2022 cap crunch.

It’s really tough to see Z back in GB next year now. On the open market, 30 off an injury, he’s probably just getting 1 year incentive deals (which from an ego standpoint he’s not going to like). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I would be very surprised if a restructure isn't negotiated to bring down that cap number. 

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would be very surprised if a restructure isn't negotiated to bring down that cap number. 

If he’s back, that’s the only way. 

Playing devils advocate, do we want to play the kick the can down the road game with a 30 year old coming off a back injury? The only real incentive to do so would be out of necessity if we are in real cap hell.

With AR likely gone, next year is a tear down year anyways.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Would you please expound on this comment? Are you suggesting a restructure next year? Or are you suggesting a restructure this year and next with maybe an additional year or two to gain cap space this year and next year?

I'd be hard pressed to extend a 30 year old coming off of back surgery and on the books for 28 million next year. I do think if we could guarantee him more money over 4 years and lower his cap hit fairly significantly this year and next that would be enticing to him and his agent. 

Also, would that be legal to lower his cap hit/guaranteed money this year since the year is already started? 

18 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That first play on the clip was awesome.  Live action I happened to focus on Bosa vs Nijman and saw Tonyan destroy Bosa.

Simple way to slow down that edge rush.

Tonyan’s blocking has really improved. From the story about Bakhtiari pulling him aside at Thanksgiving dinner to tell him to step it up to Marcedes taking him under his wing, he’s gotten much better here at being an all around TE.  It will be a shame if we let him walk after all of his development here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

We’ll take an edge with the top 10 pick we get from trading Rodgers…

• Like 1