Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

from the Athletic

"Special teams coordinator Mo Drayton said the ideal operation time from snap to kick should be between 1.25 and 1.28 seconds.

“I don’t want to say it’s impossible, but it’s pretty much impossible for a guy to get there off the edge,” he said.

Drayton said the operation time for the game-winning kick against the 49ers was 1.25 seconds. It certainly seemed longer given how close cornerback Dontae Johnson was to blocking the kick"

We have data on 10 yard splits and 40 yd runs for players, how much grass can a player cover in 1.25 seconds ?

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

It's impossible .. just ask the head of our special teams unit.

yeah that quote freaked me out.  Even if it's technically true, the refs are gonna miss a few offsides.  The end of line guy has consistently put his outside arm out in a token effort to disrupt the edge player.  It's definitely a coached technique, and it's so obviously wrong.

I mean, this isn't a new thing that we started here guys. Teams have lived by this for ages and guys are always firing off and diving like that and still rarely getting there. Doesn't mean we don't have an issue but it's not like "lololol idiots who would you think that way??!""

1 minute ago, Norm said:

firing off and diving like that and still rarely getting there.

I think the width of the line is much more condensed than it used to be.  Week 3 the guy got there he just missed the ball.  Week 4 the guy got there and got the ball and it was obviously a close/bad call on the offsides.

Maybe when the line was 7 yards wide the math works, but all of our players are super condensed so the angle is more direct.

• Like 1

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I think the width of the line is much more condensed than it used to be.  Week 3 the guy got there he just missed the ball.  Week 4 the guy got there and got the ball and it was obviously a close/bad call on the offsides.

Maybe when the line was 7 yards wide the math works, but all of our players are super condensed so the angle is more direct.

Wouldn't you see a more widespread issue then? 

I don't think this is going to be a difficult thing to correct is my point. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Wouldn't you see a more widespread issue then? 

I don't think this is going to be a difficult thing to correct is my point. 

it doesn't seem difficult to correct.  It also seems like the coaching doesn't recognize there is anything to correct.  "It all worked out" so therefore there is nothing wrong with the process

Just now, skibrett15 said:

it doesn't seem difficult to correct.  It also seems like the coaching doesn't recognize there is anything to correct.  "It all worked out" so therefore there is nothing wrong with the process

What they say to the media isn't always the reality of what is going on. We know this by now

• Like 1

Just now, Norm said:

What they say to the media isn't always the reality of what is going on. We know this by now

yeah no doubt.  But it sounds like a genuine "this is my excuse, trust me we're fine" type quote.  If the ST coordinator is playing games in the media, then kudos.  But I don't give him that much credit given how poor the ST have been thus far.

25 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah that quote freaked me out.  Even if it's technically true, the refs are gonna miss a few offsides.  The end of line guy has consistently put his outside arm out in a token effort to disrupt the edge player.  It's definitely a coached technique, and it's so obviously wrong.

One of these days the Packers will go out an get the best special teams coaches money can buy ... oh who am I kidding, they just don't value that phase of the game.