Random Packer News & Notes

1 hour ago, Striker said:

Finding some balance here could help the red zone efficiency...

When your run blocking is subpar and your pass block is one of the best in the league that percentage is better understood. Once we get our entire OL back we will run more.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

When your run blocking is subpar and your pass block is one of the best in the league that percentage is better understood. Once we get our entire OL back we will run more.

Yup.  It's all pretty small sample size thus far, too.  Last year our red-zone offense was great, now it's terrible.  Did the coaches and key players all get dummer and less capable over the offseason?  To some degree, perhaps yes!  But some of it is just reversion towards the mean, probably.  

I don't see the big push to run inside the 10 yard line, myself.  If it's working, do it, sure.  But what's the point in running if run-plays aren't getting you into the end zone?  Throwing away snaps on inefficient running-plays, where the profit?  

I wonder too whether the changes in cut-blocking rules haven't factored in our run game overall, whether inside or outside the red zone?  A lot of the outside-the-tackles running plays depended on Lazard and the tight ends being able to take guys out.  Has that been harder with the rules revision?  Beats me, but maybe?  

This is a totally amateur observational view, I don't know if it's even true at all.  But it's seemed to me that the Packer runs haven't gone or gotten outside nearly as often this season thus far as during the last two.  I thought some of the better gains involved popping outside and getting around the corner, and getting some blocks from the WR/TE that enabled some nice outside-the-tackles runs.  Obviously Dillon doesn't necessarily have that same quickness for popping outside.  And obviously most of Jones' runs have always been inside runs.  It just seems like there have been fewer of the fun exceptions where he'd somehow get outside with a little more space.  

It's also my observation, which may again be dumb, that we neither are showing the jet-sweep motion or doing any jet-sweep plays like we did two years ago or flashed early last season.  I thought the threat of those maybe kept some linebackers or safeties in motion, and often the jet-sweeper ended up being a blocker for Jones anyway.  But that seems to be out of vogue with our current line and with our current lack-of-speed at RB and WR.  

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

I get where he is coming from, but I guarantee behind close doors they are pretty unhappy with their red zone statistics. 

Yeah he's definitely smarter than that and doesn't actually believe it. RZ work is assuredly in the top 1 priorities for this staff. He was probably personally invested in it heavily for a couple weeks now and has gone through a lot of analysis about it. He probably got annoyed by the question because it's his top priority and it still isn't working and tried to channel his inner Belichick but just came off sounding silly.

27 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I just realized my like button requires two taps to really like something in mobile world. Sorry, guys, you can all just assume I was always liking all of your posts for the past couple months…

I always knew it to be true. 

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

EQ blew his assignment on a screen this weekend thats all i saw of him

Still need to find time to finish it but the All-22 of the Bengal's game has not been kind to EQ. Coming from a guy who's been a pretty vocal defender of EQ, his first quarter was bad enough that he's officially out for me.  He may have somehow gotten a roster spot this week but I can't seem him holding onto it unless he drastically improves his play; he was bad as a blocker, bad as a receiver, and he had worse body language than 2018 Rodgers. He's a talented guy but he's no longer playing like it, and it's a real problem.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Still need to find time to finish it but the All-22 of the Bengal's game has not been kind to EQ. Coming from a guy who's been a pretty vocal defender of EQ, his first quarter was bad enough that he's officially out for me.  He may have somehow gotten a roster spot this week but I can't seem him holding onto it unless he drastically improves his play; he was bad as a blocker, bad as a receiver, and he had worse body language than 2018 Rodgers. He's a talented guy but he's no longer playing like it, and it's a real problem.

I agree.  I was as big an EQ fan as there was, when he was drafted.  He is pretty close to a prototype WR.  He is big, strong, fast, smart.  But when he gets on the field, he seems to be less than the sum of his parts.  He has been surpassed by:  Allen Lazard, Jake Kumerow, Malik Taylor, Darrius Shepherd, Geronimo Allison, probably Juwann Winfree, and not apples to apples but Tavon Austin, Randall Cobb, and Amari Rodgers.  Add to that, he also misses more games than Kevin King.  I'd love it if he turns it around, but time has to be running out.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

guys on the PS can play in games? ESB was on the field last Sunday

You can promote 2 players from the PS for a game and they are automatically demoted back to PS the next day. Each player can only be promoted twice in a single season.

• Like 1