Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Jake Morley -   Aaron Rodgers deep passing.
After six weeks - I think it is fair to say this is a thing, and it is bad.
No, he isn't washed - velocity is not the issue. He has just been consistently missing guys.

On passes 20+ yards:
Attempts 30 (5th)
Completions 9 (19th)
% of attempts deemed catchable 30% (31st)
Deep passing NFL QB rating 48.5 (31st)
TD 0
INT 2 (4th)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

No, he isn't washed - velocity is not the issue. He has just been consistently missing guys.

On passes 20+ yards:
Attempts 30 (5th)
Completions 9 (19th)
TD 0
INT 2 (4th)

I'd be interested to hear if he at all uses the deep ball when his clock is up and he is just trying to throw it away. He has definitely missed a few on tape, but there are other double coverage moments where I'm skeptical - except to 17 because I don't think he thinks he can possibly be covered.

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

On passes 20+ yards:
Attempts 30 (5th)
Completions 9 (19th)
TD 0
INT 2 (4th)

I figured it out! Unlike the last two seasons where we kind of coast into the playoffs this time we will be battled, bruised, tested, and finally getting healthy while hitting on all cylinders as we enter the playoffs! It is meant to be! We are on a mission from God...

At least that's how I'm going to view it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Suddenly, Tonyan kinda sucks again, in both phases. Give me Dafney and Big Dog if he's going to block like this...

I think Dafney coming back with let Tonyan get back to catching more passses. But he and Deguara have been the disapointments so far this season for me. Probably Newman too but he's a rookie.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I'm a Rodgers "worshipper" and I can say without a doubt that he needs to start hitting some of those deep balls that are open.

I am not.  And I am not terribly concerned with this.  His numbers are down from last season, an MVP season; but he is still above his career completion percentage, and his yards per attempt is just 0.1 lower than his career average.  I think that he will have more quality deep opportunities when/if MVS returns, both throwing to MVS and catching Tonyan or Cobb 20 yards down field because MVS is 30 yards down field.  A contested deep pass to Tonyan is not the same thing, and that is a lot of those attempts right now.  

My biggest concern about Rodgers is his reliance on Davante.  Davante is great.  But sometimes he is so focused on Davante that we end up overlooking other open targets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

deep passing game is low sample size and marred by deep throwaways

I agree, it's low sample size.  I don't feel like I've seen a lot of throwaway?  I may be misremembering, and I haven't seen all the quarters. 

I think Rodgers has just been missing.  He's had some guys open deep, and he's just missed.  Nothing more complicated than that, IMO. 

Obviously a ball that's 8 inches beyond Lazard, maybe if you had MVS it was the perfect throw; and maybe Aaron just isn't adjusting to his slow receivers?  Adams is a great player, but he's not a straight-speed sprinter either.  

But yeah, Rodgers has just been missing the throws.  And... we're 5-1.  Deep passing is low sample size.  it may be that in games ahead, he'll hit on a couple of them, and it will win some games.  

I do wonder about the approach.  In camp, they show those "basket" drills, and he throws the ball high and lofts it into the basket.  But he never throws those higher ones on his deep throws now, it doesn't seem.  Lazard is a strong guy, bigger than most corners.  If a ball is overthrown, even by a little, relative to his speed, he's got no acceleration to do anything about it.  But If a ball was a little higher, or a little under-thrown, Lazard has the size to slow down just a bit, to still keep his body between a trailing corner and the ball, and to block out and give himself a chance at the ball (or to have the trailing corner run up his back and get a PI call.).  I guess I'm wondering whether Rodgers shouldn't put a little more air under it to give a receiver a little more chance?

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Obviously a ball that's 8 inches beyond Lazard, maybe if you had MVS it was the perfect throw; and maybe Aaron just isn't adjusting to his slow receivers?  Adams is a great player, but he's not a straight-speed sprinter either. 

The one to Lazard, seemed to me like he saw the rush and got it out with a safe throw.  Hardly a perfect pass, but Lazard was also well-covered.  If he hits the one to Tonyan (which was a good ball that got dropped) not sure we're talking about his deep passing.

Neither of these were deep deep passes either or designed shot plays.  Both were on vertical concepts where he's throwing at guys whose defenders are turned away.

The receivers outside of Adams are playing mediocre to downright Bad.  The OL is playing just OK and is somewhat frequently getting whooped early in the down.  Our best deep threat is injured.  Receivers and TEs are staying in frequently to chip on edge rushers.  There are no designed shots deep to the H-backs, RBs or TEs off of play action.  None of that is conducive to an efficient deep passing game.