Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

No it is not misleading.  This is business.  If OBJ needs more money than the millions he's getting anyway.....the Pack will pass.  This is for 8-10 games.  Minimum offer, we are NOT getting into any kind of bidding war.  Wake up!

IMO we need to gauge interest and our offer in terms of our team need and the market we're bidding against - not - relative to how much money he's already made - unless - OBJ himself says that.

Says: "Give me 1M and we're good" - or something similar.

1 minute ago, mikebpackfan said:

It look like the Packers view him much like most here do:  would be a nice addition; but no reason to bend over backwards to get him. 

Precisely. OBJ set it up such that there is no incentive to sign him for anything above the vet minimum up until some higher value. And perhaps inflated his expected demand, so now he has to choose from potentially undesirable teams offering a couple/few more million in his pocket or a more preferred team (or teams) that firmly won't go that high.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

That would be a miscalculation IMO simply because OBJ *doesnt* need GB. He has other offers.

True… but both have hard spots to make the playoffs (KC) or have QB situation similar to Cleveland (NO).

Fact is… what matters most. If winning, a likely playoff berth, etc then GB seemingly is his best bet.

But if dude wants to go home and just be comfortable in his surroundings then GB isn’t the best.

14 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

$2m is far too high for his services? wut?

If he wants to play for GB, NO or KC, yes. I don't even think NO and KC have that much cap, and GB has a little over 4 mil, which is going to be nice to carryover.

If he wants over 2 mil after receiving 12 mil this year from Cleveland, I'm sure there are plenty of non playoff teams he can go play for.

• Like 2

My opinion, OBJ knows he's not playing this week because you can't pick up a playbook in a few days. He knows where he's signing, but he knows he's a FA next year and his ego says, drag this out a few days, make it seem like there were multiple teams interested and it was this long drawn out decision. Keep feeding beat writers more and more teams that have reached out. 

I think he'll probably "decide" tomorrow. It will be a vet min contract from GB or KC. Playing with Rodgers or Mahomes is his best chance at a ring and a nice deal in 22.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

From the article and summary I posted above, I'll reiterate (the media and posters are not missing anything). The calculation has already been made that OBJ is not worth (to us) the dollar amount that would result in more money in his pocket and therefore there is zero incentive to offer him more than the vet minimum.

"Practically speaking, unless a team is willing to pay several million dollars to employ Beckham for the remaining eight games of the season, there is no incentive for a team to offer more than the league minimum"

and again, this part is wrong, especially the bolded parts:
"The Browns owe Beckham $4.25 million (down from $7.25 million, thanks to a deal they made with him prior to waiving him), but the amount Cleveland owes will be reduced by whatever compensation he receives from a new team over the remainder of this season.

Therefore, Beckham will get paid the same amount whether he were to sign in Green Bay for the veteran minimum or elsewhere, unless another team signs him to a contract worth more than the $4.25 million that the Browns owe. Practically speaking, unless a team is willing to pay several million dollars to employ Beckham for the remaining eight games of the season, there is no incentive for a team to offer more than the league minimum. Should he receive only league-minimum offers, that would force him to make a decision purely based on non-monetary factors.

3 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

It look like the Packers view him much like most here do:  would be a nice addition; but no reason to bend over backwards to get him. 

That could be based on GBs assessment of what OBJ can bring at this stage of his career. Fine with me. I certainly dont know how much gas he's got left in his tank.

His NY days are one, two, three inuries away and lost in time.
His CLE days were marred by injury and an less than proficient QB.

I think we have a need in our passing game. It's as simple as that for me. I dont see the weapons in our passing game as enough to win a ring. If thats the goal - I dont see this crew getting us there. We've already seen what they can bring against a tough Playoff D when tight/aggressive coverage is the norm. They came up short and our reliance on Davante for all things receiving.....didnt cut it.

Hence - I'd like to add OBJ. If we've got to get off the vet min to get him - I think the potential positives outweigh the outlay.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I don't know.  I've seen this game too many times before. An NFL star and his agent uses Green Bay to leverage more money from a bigger market team. In this case, he's probably trying to leverage a 2 or 3 year contract beyond this year. I think Gute would rather keep Adams. 

His agent should be fired then. Teams don't have cap space midseason, he'd be signing for pennies on the dollar, which is why this won't happen.

32 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m not too knowledgeable on our cap situation. But, there ain’t available guys we can get that could potentially move the needle like OBJ. We’re all in, we should make this high priority.

I don’t think anyone will move the needle to be honest. Rodgers isn’t going to now all of a sudden be throwing 50/50 balls to Odell. No one really on offense from a skill position I think will do much given the scheme and QB and this happening mid season.

Odell will live in designed plays to him and plays breaking down territory.

They got a DT (snacks) last year that they literally didn’t use when the run D was bad.

I doubt some WR is going to come in and put up numbers without heavy lifting from a game planning stand point.

They would need to hope Odell could learn enough by playoffs, and at this point that’s the play.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If he wants over 2 mil after receiving 12 mil this year from Cleveland, I'm sure there are plenty of non playoff teams he can go play for.

Agree with this. I dont think it should take 2M to snag this guy. Not with all the positives that GB offers. If that's actually what he needs / wants (or something similar) - let him walk.

An opportunity can be lost by two parties. OBJ should have motivation to play for GB. We give him the best chance in his career to win a ring. Hands down. Of the teams in the chase, I think GBs strongest with OBJ.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't get this, teams have future cap space right now.

I think it's more to do with teams try not to make long term team building decisions without all the information available.

Right now, teams have a lot of injury unknowns on their roster, who they may decide to cut in cap related moves in the offseason.  During the offseason, there's more time to reflect on the roster and come to the decision - "this team needs Odell Beckham to fill our hole at WR"  So it tends to be better for players.

Also, most of the current year cap has been spent, so his contract would be missing out on this year's money.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My opinion, OBJ knows he's not playing this week because you can't pick up a playbook in a few days. He knows where he's signing, but he knows he's a FA next year and his ego says, drag this out a few days, make it seem like there were multiple teams interested and it was this long drawn out decision. Keep feeding beat writers more and more teams that have reached out. 

Starting to agree with this general idea.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

I don’t think anyone will move the needle to be honest. Rodgers isn’t going to now all of a sudden be throwing 50/50 balls to Odell. No one really on offense from a skill position I think will do much given the scheme and QB and this happening mid season.

Odell will live in designed plays to him and plays breaking down territory.

They got a DT (snacks) last year that they literally didn’t use when the run D was bad.

I doubt some WR is going to come in and put up numbers without heavy lifting from a game planning stand point.

They would need to hope Odell could learn enough by playoffs, and at this point that’s the play.

Yep, I think this guy is more bark than bite.  Rodgers won't throw his way, and we'll see more videos from his dad.  Rodgers has no time for wild goose chase route running and guessing where OBJ is going.