Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 11/30/2021 at 9:05 AM, vegas492 said:

That bolded phrases is LOL worthy.  You don't give up on a third round pick so quickly.  Especially when he is one of what, two or three WR's who actually have contracts when the season is up?

Again, you gotta stop expecting WR's to produce right away.  Sure there are some guys on some teams that come in and produce on day one.  But that hasn't happened in GB.

Remember when everyone wanted Adams gone in year two or three?

It takes time.  R-E-L-A-X

Slowly raises hand 😅

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, craig said:

But personally, I kinda hope I never ever see another "remember Adams" post again!  :):):). 

I get it, Adams is great now, but wasn't PRODUCTIVE as a 2nd-year guy.  So he's an obvious default reference whenever any young player isn't productive. 

But in retrospect, Adams does NOT represent "it takes time". 

Instead, he represents the "guys playing injured don't produce like they can when healthy."  Adams was used heavily already in year 1, and was already productive then.  He was great in year 3, as a healthy player.  MM kept playing him and giving him snaps even in year 2, when he wasn't productive.  I think that was in part because it was already obvious that his brains and drive were there, and the game was NOT too fast for him mentally.  The only problem was that he was playing on injured ankles, I believe he badly sprained one, came back too early, sprained the other, came back too early, and was basically playing on two bad ankles.  He couldn't run, and he couldn't cut.  The Adams who is famous for his footwork couldn't do his thing without his ankles. 

It was certainly not because he lacked MM's or Rodgers confidence; they kept playing him and targeting him even when he couldn't make good cuts.  And they kept rushing him back into the lineup even when his ankles weren't well healed.  Maybe the game was "too fast for him", because he had no wheels.  But it was NOT because it was too fast for his brain.  

So, if there's a young guy who's delayed by injury, I think "remember Adams" is a good cliche then.  But for a healthy young player who isn't producing, and who isn't being given snaps because coach or Rodgers doesn't trust him, or because the game hasn't "slowed down" for them yet mentally, that is absolutely NOT Adams story.  

Oh, I'm going to mention Adams every time someone opines about wanting to cut bait on any receiver halfway through their rookie year.  Or second year.

Adams is the poster child for "it takes time".

Rodgers gave him tons of opportunities early.  But they were wasted plays at that time.  No doubt that 'Vante got better because of the early playing time and opportunities given by Rodgers.

MVS is kind of in that same boat right now.  I don't know about you, but it's been a while since I've been thoroughly disgusted by an MVS drop.  Instead of that disgust, I find myself really wanting him on the field for the deep stuff.  And he's quietly learning how to run routes and get open in zones and underneath.  I've been impressed by him.

But the key to all receivers is.....time.  Not many are ready to step into the NFL and perform right away.  Gotta have a little patience with those guys.

There's even a thread on here where many of us are encouraged by what we are seeing from ESB...finally.  We showed patience, now maybe we will be rewarded by that scratch off lottery ticket.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dust247 said:

Has Gute or TT missed on letting these aging offensive lineman go?

I wouldn't necessary put JC Tretter in this category, because he was only a starter in 1 season with the Packers. He couldn't stay healthy and Green Bay had found their new center in Linsley.

I can see that.  But at the same time, he is a very good lineman that the Packers let go.  There was not any consequence to this because Linsley was also very good.  

Less impressive players that I can recall off the top of my head:

Greg Van Roten - still starts for the Jets.  He has 49 starts since leaving the Packers for Carolina and the Jets.

Breno Giacomini - played one season for the Packers in 08, then resurfaces in 2011 for the Seahawks and plays for 7 seasons, with 86 starts.

Alan Barbre - played for the Packers from 07-09.  Stared 33 games for Philadelphia and Denver.  Had a 10 year career.

Marshall Newhouse - Started 31 games for the Packers.  Went on to start 50 more games, he played until 2020.

None of these guys are amazing.  And their replacements played better for us.  But they are successful linemen in a league that really lacks successful linemen.  The closest we have come to being burned is Linsley this season.  But we didn't have the money, and we would probably be doing just fine if Myers was not injured, and even Patrick has been okay.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Oh, I'm going to mention Adams every time someone opines about wanting to cut bait on any receiver halfway through their rookie year.  Or second year.

What about J'Mon?  🤣

Also, look at Jordy Nelson really in his first 3 seasons.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJo00.htm

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'll join the "slow clap" club and raise my hand as well.  Ungh. 

I think the general rule is if we draft a WR in the 2nd round they will be good eventually, and if we draft them in round 3 or 4 they will not be 🤣

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rodgers gave him tons of opportunities early.  But they were wasted plays at that time.  No doubt that 'Vante got better because of the early playing time and opportunities given by Rodgers.

MVS is kind of in that same boat right now.  I don't know about you, but it's been a while since I've been thoroughly disgusted by an MVS drop.  Instead of that disgust, I find myself really wanting him on the field for the deep stuff.  And he's quietly learning how to run routes and get open in zones and underneath.  I've been impressed by him.

But the key to all receivers is.....time.  Not many are ready to step into the NFL and perform right away.  Gotta have a little patience with those guys.

There's even a thread on here where many of us are encouraged by what we are seeing from ESB...finally.  We showed patience, now maybe we will be rewarded by that scratch off lottery ticket.

Yes but there's a good chacne we won't be able to afford him.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Jordy Nelson. Another that broke out in year 3.

PS Just noticed TJDave has already mentioned that.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive