Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is it safe to say Jaire was better pick than Derwin now considering Derwin’s injury issues? People around here were a bit upset the first year or two in that one.

I feel odd saying that while Jaire is hurt too though.

James was beast his rookie year. I think he's still going to be great. Let's say you can't go wrong with either of them. In that case, you take the CB so we got it right. 

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

What does everyone think about the Dianna Russini comments on Get Up about everyone in the league views Rodgers as gone from GB regardless if they win the Bowl or not.

Probably true,  he can walk free after next season for nothing (comp pick).  They gotta sign him to a extension , or trade him this offseason IMO.  If Rodgers stays under his current contract this team will be a shell of what it is now.  If they can get a good return for Rodgers in a trade, I think he's gone.  

10 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Probably true,  he can walk free after next season for nothing (comp pick).  They gotta sign him to a extension , or trade him this offseason IMO.  If Rodgers stays under his current contract this team will be a shell of what it is now.  If they can get a good return for Rodgers in a trade, I think he's gone.  

If Rodgers wants out after this year I wouldn't fight it too much .. they've done what they could do this year to appease the guy.  They've put a high quality team around him and have done a lot of winning the past few years.  If he's still unhappy and won't agree to a new deal then get what you can via trade and move on.  Love gets all of 2022 to show what he can do.  If he stinks then you figure out a way to bring in someone else via draft, trade, or free agency.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Green19 said:

What does everyone think about the Dianna Russini comments on Get Up about everyone in the league views Rodgers as gone from GB regardless if they win the Bowl or not.

It's just hard to come up with a rational argument for either side wanting to part ways at this point. For Rodgers, it only makes sense to leave if he thinks there is a better fit elsewhere. That simply is not going to happen, especially next year. Minus a really good team suddenly losing their franchise QB (like Brady retires or Prescott dies, etc.), Rodgers' best chance to win is with the Packers, plain and simple. 

On the flip side, as I've stated several times now, it makes even less sense for the Packers to move on. The Packers drafted Love for one simple reason -- they thought 12 was on the decline. That theory has been proven false the past two years as Rodgers should be the back-to-back MVP (even though the idiots will give it to Brady). Trading 12 when he's playing like this is simply a non-starter. 

Maybe I have green and gold goggles on, but at this point, based on the evidence and arguments in front of us, I view it as 90% likely that Rodgers plays for the Packers next year. If they go to/win the SB, it's 100%. The only remaining question will be, will the Packers hold on to Love for the remainder of his rookie deal and continue to groom him as a backup (maybe future starter down the line)...or will they look to move him asap once they extend 12.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It's just hard to come up with a rational argument for either side wanting to part ways at this point. For Rodgers, it only makes sense to leave if he thinks there is a better fit elsewhere. That simply is not going to happen, especially next year. Minus a really good team suddenly losing their franchise QB (like Brady retires or Prescott dies, etc.), Rodgers' best chance to win is with the Packers, plain and simple. 

On the flip side, as I've stated several times now, it makes even less sense for the Packers to move on. The Packers drafted Love for one simple reason -- they thought 12 was on the decline. That theory has been proven false the past two years as Rodgers should be the back-to-back MVP (even though the idiots will give it to Brady). Trading 12 when he's playing like this is simply a non-starter. 

Maybe I have green and gold goggles on, but at this point, based on the evidence and arguments in front of us, I view it as 90% likely that Rodgers plays for the Packers next year. If they go to/win the SB, it's 100%. The only remaining question will be, will the Packers hold on to Love for the remainder of his rookie deal and continue to groom him as a backup (maybe future starter down the line)...or will they look to move him asap once they extend 12.   

They have to decide on Loves 5th year option after next year. It could be around 20 mill.   If they want to keep Love they would have to decide on the 5th year without seeing him play much in games.  

Rodgers could be faced with a take a major paycut or get traded option.  We will get 4 months of soap opera regardless spun by the media as Rodgers wanting out.  

You also have to consider Rodgers career length.  If he was considering retirement before this year, how much more will he play???

As much as we love watching Rodgers play, depending on what we can get for him, it's probably time.  

Edited by NFLGURU

Rodg is going to have to take a team friendly extension and still realize all his friends won't be with him.  From Cobb and Crosby to P and Z, and plenty in between it won't be the same roster.  If he is willing, he will be back.  If he's not, he is gone.  Simple as that.  He will be going into year 39 next year, you do not kick the can down the road on a guy that old.  Belichick knew Brady had game left in him, but also knew it was time for that team to say goodbye.  Brady found a stuffed team for his final ride, Rodg will have to decide whether to take a team friendly deal that gives us a real out in the near future or take his chances with the new team we trade him to.

Two things. All this talk of Rodgers being on the team next year  "if he wants to be"  and (especially from @15412 ) how he HAS TO take a team friendly extension. First off he doesn't have to do anything of the sort. Secondly it is very possible that leaving the team isn't really up to him, being far more to do with the cap situation and management.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many fans seem to want to project their desired outcome (of this offseason) as though it were a real thing rather than a wish that something unlikely happens.

As I've said before, if he stays, the effect on the team as a whole is very profound (in terms of who can be kept for the next few years). If he goes it will still be profound, but the losses of other very good players are less and to some degree lessened even further by extra draft picks (how much impact the extra draft picks make is obviously down to how good those picks are).

I'm ready for him to be gone, I'm also ready for him staying. I think the team will be worse off looking several years ahead, if Rodgers is kept, but if he is, we would at least (hopefully) get to see him play another couple of years at a high level.

@NFLGURU "Rodgers could be faced with a take a major payout or get traded option."

Did you mean to say pay cut here ?

@packfanfb "It's just hard to come up with a rational argument for either side wanting to part ways at this point."  Not so easy to find a good argument from Rodgers side, I agree, but very easy to make a case for him going, from managements side - a painful choice, surely, but easily justified.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Two things. All this talk of Rodgers being on the team next year  "if he wants to be"  and (especially from @15412 ) how he HAS TO take a team friendly extension. First off he doesn't have to do anything of the sort. Secondly it is very possible that leaving the team isn't really up to him, being far more to do with the cap situation and management.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many fans seem to want to project their desired outcome (of this offseason) as though it were a real thing rather than a wish that something unlikely happens.

As I've said before, if he stays, the effect on the team as a whole is very profound (in terms of who can be kept for the next few years). If he goes it will still be profound, but the losses of other very good players are less and to some degree lessened even further by extra draft picks (how much impact the extra draft picks make is obviously down to how good those picks are).

I'm ready for him to be gone, I'm also ready for him staying. I think the team will be worse off looking several years ahead, if Rodgers is kept, but if he is, we would at least (hopefully) get to see him play another couple of years at a high level.

@NFLGURU "Rodgers could be faced with a take a major payout or get traded option."

Did you mean to say pay cut here ?

@packfanfb "It's just hard to come up with a rational argument for either side wanting to part ways at this point."  Not so easy to find a good argument from Rodgers side, I agree, but very easy to make a case for him going, from managements side - a painful choice, surely, but easily justified.

Yes,  it was paycut, big difference in 1 letter 🤣🤣

15 hours ago, Green19 said:

If you look at what Gute has done since he drafted Love it's what makes most sense. Unless they believe Love is not their future it seems like they'lk trade him (I'm not gonna argue whether that's the correct or not).

"All this talk of Rodgers being on the team next year  "if he wants to be"  and (especially from @15412 ) how he HAS TO take a team friendly extension. First off he doesn't have to do anything of the sort. Secondly it is very possible that leaving the team isn't really up to him, being far more to do with the cap situation and management."

You are contradicting yourself.  It is BECAUSE of the cap situation and management that he WOULD have to take a team friendly deal, or be traded. If he wanted to play that is, and all indications are he does.  It is going to be one of the two. The cap and management do have the most to do with that, along with the number 39.  If he were a 29 year old to be QB it would be a completely different animal.