Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I don't think we had any significant injuries for the first time in awhile !

A memo from Gute was delivered to all active players before the Ravens game. It said, “All beds in our MASH unit are full.”

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Sometimes stats don't mean a heck of a lot.  Overall, the running game has been a nice compliment to the passing game.  The play calling often times is average to poor on the running game.

The play calling is exactly the same as it was last year. 

The running game not meaning a lot is just not true. Our offense is not elite. It's average. 

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The play calling is exactly the same as it was last year. 

The running game not meaning a lot is just not true. Our offense is not elite. It's average. 

30 plus points in the last 4 games is average ? Cmon man. Outside of the Sea and NO ( not counting the KC game obviously) game they’ve been very good. 

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Then why blame the running backs? 

Because to do otherwise is logically inconsistent. You can't declare Jones an elite and special back for producing elite numbers behind an elite offensive line, and then maintain that he's still an elite back while producing average numbers behind an average offensive line. 

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

We've also had an OL most of year with 3-4 guys who are below average to average run blockers. 

Right now all five are variably below-average, no?  (As run blockers).

I assume you were maybe thinking Jenkins was good, and maybe Turner was average?  

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

We've also had an OL most of year with 3-4 guys who are below average to average run blockers. 

Not trying to be confrontational but love to see some data which bears this out. I'm putting Jenkins, Runyan and Turner above average run blockers and I'd throw Meyers into the slight above average from the eye test. 

Also, someone put up a graph of guards and where they fell on pass and run blocking. I thought Newman was well above average in run blocking and atrocious at pass blocking. Maybe it was the reverse and I'm too lazy to look it up. 

Edited by Old Guy

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not trying to be confrontational but love to see some data which bears this out. I'm putting Jenkins, Runyan and Turner above average run blockers and I'd throw Meyers into the slight above average from the eye test. 

Also, someone put up a graph of guards and where they fell on pass and run blocking. I thought Newman was well above average in run blocking and atrocious at pass blocking. Maybe it was the reverse and I'm too lazy to look it up. 

I don't have a PFF membership, but part of my point is that Myers and Jenkins have missed a lot of time. Patrick is definitely an average run blocker at best (probably below average) and I'd venture to guess that Newman is in the same category. Runyan seems to be better based on the eye test. I would also guess that both Nijman and Turner are grading out better against the pass versus the run. 

The point is...in response to the initial post, that our OL last season included Jenkins and Linsley on the interior who would easily be our No. 1 and 2 run blockers on the inside this season. That has obviously impacted the lack of explosive runs from Jones, and to a lesser extent, Dillon. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'll see if I can get into PFF....

Tackles:

Jenkins.  #11 graded tackle.  81.2 pass block.  76.6 run block.  (#10 pass, #19 run)

Turner.  #52 graded tackle.  68.5 pass block.  59.7 run block.

Nijman.  #57 graded tackle.  66.8 pass block.  61.6 run block.  (Very happy for him.)

Meyers (C).  #27 graded center.  68 pass block.  56.8 run block.  (Linsley is #3, Humphrey is #1)

Patrick (C).  #32 graded center.  62.9 pass block.  51.1 run block.

Runyan.  #50 graded guard.  67.4 pass block.  56.6 run block.

Newman.  #61 graded guard.  60 pass block.  50..7 run block.

Newman is the 5'th worst graded guard in the run block category, for whatever that is worth.

• Like 2

I know we've had the Myers/Humphrey discussion and it's still early (and I think Myers is going to be a good player), but Humphrey is probably going to the Pro Bowl as a rookie. He's been a standout this season. We may have picked the wrong guy (depending on scheme fit differences, etc.)