Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The play calling is exactly the same as it was last year. 

The running game not meaning a lot is just not true. Our offense is not elite. It's average. 

Over the course of the season probably but  the past few games it has been not been average. 12 is really heating up. Run blocking still seems to have a ways to go. But with the injuries it’s not that surprising.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Over the course of the season probably but  the past few games it has been not been average. 12 is really heating up. Run blocking still seems to have a ways to go. But with the injuries it’s not that surprising.

Yeah, I wish December 12 would also carry over and be January 12. Part of that is better competition in January but he’s been running tables and closing seasons with a vengeance for a long time now. Whatever disagreements people have over Rodgers’ personality, there is no doubt he gets psyched up for the stretch run. 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He is a little less athletic, but a little bigger and stronger than Tonyan.  If he can offer anything, great.  He is probably pennies compared to Tonyan next season too.  

Here's something to dream about.......

Tyler Davis - 6'4 / 252#
Mark Andrews - 6'5 / 256#

:)

Davis will cost 895M next year.
Tonyan's 6'5 / 237#

Edited by Leader

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He is a little less athletic, but a little bigger and stronger than Tonyan.  If he can offer anything, great.  He is probably pennies compared to Tonyan next season too.  

I'm optimistic that Tyler Davis can be a functional role-player.  Lewis has size/strength and blocking capacity that is unmatched.  So I'm not suggesting Davis is going to be the next Lewis.  But, someday Lewis is going to decide to retire, and they're probably not going to find "another Lewis", who can match his offensive-lineman profile.  But Davis seems built a little stronger for in-line blocking than Tonyan or Deguara.  A lot of those little TE completions, I think many of those are "TE-ignored" completions.  TE doesn't need to be super athletic or awesome to block a lot, get ignored sometimes, and occasionally catch an open pass.  Davis might perhaps have that capacity?  

So yeah, *IF* Lewis decides to hang it up, and assuming Tonyan is ACL-out and/or contract-out, I could easily see Davis getting a lot of the blocking-TE snaps.  

It's maybe dumb to put too much weight in the "Rodgers likes him" thing.  Rodgers wants to be a leader, so he expresses affirmation for almost everybody.  But I think it's also true that Rodgers is pretty compulsive about attention to details.  So I something think that for the guys he "likes", it often involves the "details" guys, guys who know what they're doing and try to do it.  

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're 20th in yards per attempt, 14th in Expected Points Added, 23rd in TDs, and 21st in total yards. the running game is average to poor. 

the only difference year to year is blocking.  The run blocking is poor thus the running game is poor/average.

Rodgers is carrying this team and it doesn't really seem sustainable.

32 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm optimistic that Tyler Davis can be a functional role-player.  Lewis has size/strength and blocking capacity that is unmatched.  So I'm not suggesting Davis is going to be the next Lewis.  But, someday Lewis is going to decide to retire, and they're probably not going to find "another Lewis", who can match his offensive-lineman profile.  But Davis seems built a little stronger for in-line blocking than Tonyan or Deguara.  A lot of those little TE completions, I think many of those are "TE-ignored" completions.  TE doesn't need to be super athletic or awesome to block a lot, get ignored sometimes, and occasionally catch an open pass.  Davis might perhaps have that capacity?  

So yeah, *IF* Lewis decides to hang it up, and assuming Tonyan is ACL-out and/or contract-out, I could easily see Davis getting a lot of the blocking-TE snaps.  

It's maybe dumb to put too much weight in the "Rodgers likes him" thing.  Rodgers wants to be a leader, so he expresses affirmation for almost everybody.  But I think it's also true that Rodgers is pretty compulsive about attention to details.  So I something think that for the guys he "likes", it often involves the "details" guys, guys who know what they're doing and try to do it.  

Lewis is going to play until he's 95.   He'll be the first Packer player to wear a throwback uniform having actually already worn it.  

• Like 7

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The play calling is exactly the same as it was last year. 

The running game not meaning a lot is just not true. Our offense is not elite. It's average. 

I doubt the first is true - I do agree with the running game meaning a lot. As for the "average" offense:

With all players fit, the offensive line could qualify as elite. So could the QB. Adams alone puts the receiver group above average. The two main RBs are above average. The only unit you could conceivably call average is the TE unit (which contains one of my favourite players, in Lewis). Taken as a whole, this is not even close to an average offense.

With all the injuries factored in I'd still call the offense as a whole above average, compared to other teams with their injuries factored in. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because to do otherwise is logically inconsistent. You can't declare Jones an elite and special back for producing elite numbers behind an elite offensive line, and then maintain that he's still an elite back while producing average numbers behind an average offensive line. 

Define "elite" back. I see Jones do one or two things every week that most RBs in this league can't do. Sometimes that means turning a 1 yard gain into a 6 yard gain.