Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because to do otherwise is logically inconsistent. You can't declare Jones an elite and special back for producing elite numbers behind an elite offensive line, and then maintain that he's still an elite back while producing average numbers behind an average offensive line. 

It's logically wrong to blame a running back whose behind a bunch of free agent guys and a rookie.  For what they have and what the rb's have done ... pretty damn good.  Your up.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Define "elite" back. I see Jones do one or two things every week that most RBs in this league can't do. Sometimes that means turning a 1 yard gain into a 6 yard gain. 

A truly elite back I would expect to do more than one or two things every week that most RBs in this league can't do.

Jones is very good but a tier down from special/elite. That's not a knock on him I think its watering down the 'elite' term to call him that

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because to do otherwise is logically inconsistent. You can't declare Jones an elite and special back for producing elite numbers behind an elite offensive line, and then maintain that he's still an elite back while producing average numbers behind an average offensive line. 

i think part of it is to due with the emergence of Dillion opposed to Jones being not elite or very good. We have 1a and 1b running backs which give good run production and receiving, which is a very important element for our RBs. Having a quick browse over team stats I don't see many teams with their top two backs so equally matched in terms of production as the Packers.

Jones 657 yard rushing and 340 yards recieving
Dillon 636 yards rushing and 274 receiving
Total 1907 yards

Cook 1067 yards rushing and 221 yards receiving
Mattison 432 yards rushing and 183 yards receiving
Total 1691

Chubb 1017 yards rushing and 114 yards receiving
Hunt 386 yards rushing and 174 yards receiving
Total 1895

Zeke 862 yards rushing and 265 yards receiving
Hunt 670 yards rushing and 272 yards receiving
Total 2061

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

A truly elite back I would expect to do more than one or two things every week that most RBs in this league can't do.

Jones is very good but a tier down from special/elite. That's not a knock on him I think its watering down the 'elite' term to call him that

With the tandem of Jones and Dillion, their totals are indeed above average.  Name a pair that does any better?   

11 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

i think part of it is to due with the emergence of Dillion opposed to Jones being not elite or very good. We have 1a and 1b running backs which give good run production and receiving, which is a very important element for our RBs. Having a quick browse over team stats I don't see many teams with their top two backs so equally matched in terms of production as the Packers.

Jones 657 yard rushing and 340 yards recieving
Dillon 636 yards rushing and 274 receiving
Total 1907 yards

Cook 1067 yards rushing and 221 yards receiving
Mattison 432 yards rushing and 183 yards receiving
Total 1691

Chubb 1017 yards rushing and 114 yards receiving
Hunt 386 yards rushing and 174 yards receiving
Total 1895

Zeke 862 yards rushing and 265 yards receiving
Hunt 670 yards rushing and 272 yards receiving
Total 2061

Just a couple observations: 

Den has a nice tandem with Gordon (769 rushing/174 rec) and Williams (815/288) totaling 2046 yds from scrimmage

Cle isn't quite fair as they also have possibly the best #3 in the league in D'Ernest Johnson. 

And you put "Hunt" instead of "Pollard" in the Dallas tandem. 

19 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Backs do three things:  they carry the ball, they catch the ball, and they block.  Ski's graph suggests that

• Carry the ball:  Dillon has been very good and Jones also good, relative to the blocking... as ball-carriers.  
  • Catch the ball: Dillon has been outstanding as a receptions guy, and Jones good too.  (not on graph, that's my observational take)
  • Blocking:  I think both guys have been really, really good.  

Seems to me that both guys are variably good/excellent/above average in all three aspects.  And the composite of two good-in-all-three-aspects running backs has been really nice. 

The graph does support the subjective observation that our run-blocking is below-average.  Obvious.  

55 minutes ago, R T said:

Jaguars are signing Ryquell Armstead off the Packers practice squad. 

This aggression shall not stand,  I demand satisfaction!  Hopefully he wins them a game, knocking them out of the top seed. Or better yet, we poach the next Rasul from their PS.