Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

One more running-stats note.  Ski's graph is based on yardage.  Running stats routinely list total and average, YPA. 

When considering Dillon/Jones, they have been notably lacking in long runs.   An occasional long-run makes a world of difference in yards and YPA and in every running-game stat.  And for good reason, because big plays can win games.  

But the fact that Dillon/Jones still have kinda favorable running stats, relative to their bad blocking, without the assistance of some 50-yard runs, is significant.  A couple of possibly fluky long runs might have made their stats look way better.  

Sometimes I'd like to see what the MEDIAN YPA was, instead of just the AVERAGE YPA.  A team can get a 5.0 YPA with one 81 yard long run and 19 1-yard runs.  The 19 one-yard runs might set up a whole lot of punts.  Other team might have a 4.2 YPA, with 16 four-yard runs, 2 no-yard runs, and a couple of 12-yard runs.  It might be that the team with 18-of-20 runs being ≥4 yards might actually be better able to sustain consistent offense than the team with the big run but otherwise lots of crummy runs?  

Those numbers are extreme, but I kinda feel like the Packers have tended more towards the "median-run" profile.  Lots of 3-4-5 yard runs, without many long ones. A lot of those 3-4-5 yard runs don't pound the opponent, and don't that often get past the 1st-down-markers.  But they do enable a lot of 2nd-and-3rd situations where it doesn't take a very long pass to make a first down and keep the drive moving.   

A team has what, ~450-500 first downs in a season?  Each leads to either a score, another first down, a punt, or a turnover.  Over a season, 4 long runs impact <1% of those 450-500 first down scenarios.  I think the Packers orientation towards more of a "decent-median-run" run game maybe supports Rodgers with a lot of opportunities to have manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.?  

Andrew Brandt -   The Packers have 3 Pro Bowlers, down from 7 last year. The other four are still there, just injured this year. In other words, the Packers have the best record in the NFL without 4 of their top 7 players. MVP and Coach of the Year seem theirs.

Bill Huber -   Did you know Matt LaFleur’s teams are 17-5 in games decided by one score? That .773 winning percentage is the best in the NFL. For some context, the Packers have played the 19th-most one-score games but have the third-most wins and the fewest losses.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber -   Did you know Matt LaFleur’s teams are 17-5 in games decided by one score? That .773 winning percentage is the best in the NFL. For some context, the Packers have played the 19th-most one-score games but have the third-most wins and the fewest losses.

That’s nice. 

Can we win some more by 2+ scores please?

Sincerely,

My congested arteries

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

That’s nice. 

Can we win some more by 2+ scores please?

Sincerely,

My congested arteries

Starting with today's Xmas game and then 3+ scores more vs the Vikings.  Now THAT would be a sweet present.

Edited by coachbuns

On 12/22/2021 at 10:29 AM, craig said:

One more running-stats note.  Ski's graph is based on yardage.  Running stats routinely list total and average, YPA. 

When considering Dillon/Jones, they have been notably lacking in long runs.   An occasional long-run makes a world of difference in yards and YPA and in every running-game stat.  And for good reason, because big plays can win games.  

But the fact that Dillon/Jones still have kinda favorable running stats, relative to their bad blocking, without the assistance of some 50-yard runs, is significant.  A couple of possibly fluky long runs might have made their stats look way better.  

Sometimes I'd like to see what the MEDIAN YPA was, instead of just the AVERAGE YPA.  A team can get a 5.0 YPA with one 81 yard long run and 19 1-yard runs.  The 19 one-yard runs might set up a whole lot of punts.  Other team might have a 4.2 YPA, with 16 four-yard runs, 2 no-yard runs, and a couple of 12-yard runs.  It might be that the team with 18-of-20 runs being ≥4 yards might actually be better able to sustain consistent offense than the team with the big run but otherwise lots of crummy runs?  

Those numbers are extreme, but I kinda feel like the Packers have tended more towards the "median-run" profile.  Lots of 3-4-5 yard runs, without many long ones. A lot of those 3-4-5 yard runs don't pound the opponent, and don't that often get past the 1st-down-markers.  But they do enable a lot of 2nd-and-3rd situations where it doesn't take a very long pass to make a first down and keep the drive moving.   

A team has what, ~450-500 first downs in a season?  Each leads to either a score, another first down, a punt, or a turnover.  Over a season, 4 long runs impact <1% of those 450-500 first down scenarios.  I think the Packers orientation towards more of a "decent-median-run" run game maybe supports Rodgers with a lot of opportunities to have manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.?  

Issue being the difference between 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 8 isn't that significant.

Explosive plays are what drives offenses