Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How’s Patrick grading? It doesn’t look like up the middle is much of an issue really. 

I haven’t seen him in the top 5 or bottom 5 that I remember and that’s what other outlets usually share.  I don’t have an acct to look at them all

Edited by Arthur Penske

34 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How’s Patrick grading? It doesn’t look like up the middle is much of an issue really. 

Hes useful on doubles and can usually manage his head up guy. Some matchups give him fits. Latches onto guys so stunts go unnoticed. Just a body on pulls and screens. 

Runyan is our best right now. I think his combos, especially with Nijman, are always a beauty.

Chipping both sides of the line nearly every passing down which is unfortunate. Kelly has such a slow kick. And Nijmans been having superstars lined up on him every week. Be nice to free up those underneath guys.

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

slow kick. And Nijmans been having superstars lined up on him every week. Be nice to free up those underneath guys.

That is how it will be in the playoffs whether it is Bahktiari or nijman

Dallas:   Gregory, Lawrence, Parsons
TB:  JPP
LAR:  Miller, Floyd
ARI:  Jones
SF:  Bosa

PackersWire -  Wins are wins no matter how you get them, but this team once ranked third in total defense has fallen to 13th over the past month. This sharp decline mostly lands on Joe Barry. Once viewed as this defense’s savior, Barry now reminds this fanbase of his underachieving predecessor and an unfavored passive approach that led to a coaching change.

For some reason that can’t be explained, the corners are opting to play far off the ball on short-yardage distances rather than challenge opposing receivers at the line of scrimmage as they did earlier in the season. Meanwhile, tackling has become an issue, and so has this run defense, which has led to this team’s demise in recent years.

Perhaps, returning two All-Pros in Jaire Alexander and Za’Darius Smith will help. However, no one knows when that will happen and both were a part of the defenses that bent to the point of breaking in the last two NFC Championship Games- more so the 2019 NFC Championship, which saw the San Francisco 49ers rush for 285 yards.

Maybe this defense will get back on track in time for the playoffs, or maybe they peaked too early.

39 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Hes useful on doubles and can usually manage his head up guy. Some matchups give him fits. Latches onto guys so stunts go unnoticed. Just a body on pulls and screens. 

Runyan is our best right now. I think his combos, especially with Nijman, are always a beauty.

Chipping both sides of the line nearly every passing down which is unfortunate. Kelly has such a slow kick. And Nijmans been having superstars lined up on him every week. Be nice to free up those underneath guys.

I guess I’ll feel better if we get Turner and/or Bahktiari back. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

PackersWire -  Wins are wins no matter how you get them, but this team once ranked third in total defense has fallen to 13th over the past month. This sharp decline mostly lands on Joe Barry. Once viewed as this defense’s savior, Barry now reminds this fanbase of his underachieving predecessor and an unfavored passive approach that led to a coaching change.

For some reason that can’t be explained, the corners are opting to play far off the ball on short-yardage distances rather than challenge opposing receivers at the line of scrimmage as they did earlier in the season. Meanwhile, tackling has become an issue, and so has this run defense, which has led to this team’s demise in recent years.

Perhaps, returning two All-Pros in Jaire Alexander and Za’Darius Smith will help. However, no one knows when that will happen and both were a part of the defenses that bent to the point of breaking in the last two NFC Championship Games- more so the 2019 NFC Championship, which saw the San Francisco 49ers rush for 285 yards.

Maybe this defense will get back on track in time for the playoffs, or maybe they peaked too early.

Maybe its because beside Clark, they have nothing but JAG's and Slaton, who may have some upside but is still a developing prospect.  The outside linebackers are also not doing their part by setting a strong edge.  It would also help if the offense did not go dead in the 4th quarter of games.  That 3 and out after the 8 minute drive by Cleveland was really bad.  The offense has to help out the defense and visa versa.

41 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is how it will be in the playoffs whether it is Bahktiari or nijman

Dallas:   Gregory, Lawrence, Parsons
TB:  JPP
LAR:  Miller, Floyd
ARI:  Jones
SF:  Bosa

Right, I assume you let Bakh go 1v1 a good number of times if youre feeling he's ready to play.

Huge Nijman guy but he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth on some of these quick throws.

18 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I guess I’ll feel better if we get Turner and/or Bahktiari back. 

If Bakh comes back I'm flipping Yosh. Unless he's absolutely proven he cant switch his feet. Yosh could use more nasty but he can lean on a guy in the run game and just so much more athletic than Kelly.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The only game that stands out as poor over the last what… 5 games? Is Chicago. BAL and CLE are unfamiliar opponents, with one playing a backup with little film on. The mighty chiefs had a similar issue at their home earlier in the year if I recall, but still won.

The other stat from like the last 5 games or so is every game GB has lead by 2 scores in like the 3rd or early 4th. The issue is they are turtling and just trying to hold on. The defense is bending and trying not to break. And the offense is in the weird spot of kill clock but oh we aren’t calling great plays, Aaron is trying low percentage passes in got to have it moments (the bucket shot to Adams on 3rd down against Cleveland comes to mind). So I’m not terribly worried as this feels very New England-y to me. Let the other team beat itself and you make the last play to win.

The big issue is run defense… but I can’t kill this team for that to much as they aren’t built for that. They are a light group up front and they are more interested in stopping the pass.

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

Maybe its because beside Clark, they have nothing but JAG's and Slaton, who may have some upside but is still a developing prospect.  The outside linebackers are also not doing their part by setting a strong edge.  It would also help if the offense did not go dead in the 4th quarter of games.  That 3 and out after the 8 minute drive by Cleveland was really bad.  The offense has to help out the defense and visa versa.

GB run D the last 3 games:

CHI - 6.0 yds/carry - 7 first downs
BALT - 5.5 yds/carry - 10 FD
CLE - 8.8 yds/carry - 12 FD

I've absolutely no clue why CLE was passing the ball on that last drive. They were at the 50 with 1 min left and all three time outs needing a FG.  Baker threw 2 incompletions - then the game ending INT.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've absolutely no clue why CLE was passing the ball on that last drive. They were at the 50 with 1 min left and all three time outs needing a FG.  Baker threw 2 incompletions - then the game ending INT.

Thank goodness for their QB and coach.  Our game MVP's.  Unfortunately now everyone knows our weakness and will exploit it until we can demonstrate we can stop the run.  Its going to be very hard to win a championship with that kind of play from the defense and offense we witnessed in the 2nd half of last weeks game.  I hope this is not another year of having a great regular season record, but then coming up short in the playoffs.  

Minnesota with Zimmer will definitely try running the ball down our throat.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bad coaching!  If they would have kept running they would have scored a TD, or set themselves up for a chip shot FG.