Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, we're not talking about anything crazy here like sending a player out on the field who simply can't go. But Week 17 is different than Week 6 in the season in terms of urgency and players playing hurt, etc. All year, the narrative has been "well let these guys rest and get them ready for the stretch run..." Well, the stretch run is here. 

Yes, I think every Packer fan has some degree of frustration around the team's apparent reluctance to get injured players back on the playing field asap. But my brother actually used to do some of the medical checks for the Packers, especially on high draft picks. (Yup he gave a thumbs down about the big lineman with man boobs and a reputation for steroids). Now he has been out of that line of work for more than a decade, but I asked him for his sense of the current situation. He leans on the financial risk for teams should they put a player back too soon. Contracts, their guarantees and detailed provisions regarding mega millions of bucks really force teams/owners to come down on the side of medical caution ahead of coaching needs. Just consider the monetary damages involved in the concussion issue. We live in a litigious world, and players, their agents and their union all represent the risk of huge lawsuits if they can make a case a player was put back into the game too soon. Just my one cents worth.

• Like 1

Lily Zhao -  Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling has officially been activated off the COVID list.

• Peter Bukowski -   His impact on the Packers offense has been profound. They scored 30 basically every game he’s played and failed to when he’s been out.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Lily Zhao -  Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling has officially been activated off the COVID list.

• Peter Bukowski -   His impact on the Packers offense has been profound. They scored 30 basically every game he’s played and failed to when he’s been out.

Wow! I did not know that however the word, 'basically' is puzzling. Have they scored 30 every game he's played or not? I know they didn't week 1 and believe he was in. 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Wow! I did not know that however the word, 'basically' is puzzling. Have they scored 30 every game he's played or not? I know they didn't week 1 and believe he was in. 

MVS has played in

weeks -- points scored by GB

1 --3
2 -- 35
3 --30
9 -- 7 (Love at QB)
10 -- 17
11 -- 31
12 -- 36
14 -- 45
15 -- 31

Edited by squire12

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I am on Bak and maybe Z but I’m being an optimist.

If Meyers is back do you even play him or have him back up? Rookie coming off a significant injury and hasn’t played in awhile 

You do when your starting center is Lucas Patrick.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Did Myers ever play Guard at any level above HS?

Not sure he has.  But Patrick has.  So *IF* Myers does become available, then he could indirectly replace an injured guard by playing center and letting Patrick slide over.  

In that 5-second agility-drill clip, it seemed to me that Turner looked more bouncy than did Myers, for whatever reason.  Makes me hopeful that Turner might be fully ready by the first playoff game.  

• Like 1

https://www.packers.com/video/outten-says-deguara-has-gotten-progressively-better

TE coach pretty effusively positive about Deguara.  Not sure what his future will be this year or down the road.  But Outten seems to really love the guy.  Used words like grinder, natural leader.  Said he's great in the classroom.  Also made reference to him starting to have more of the "jiggle" that he had pre-injury.  

Obviously he works with the body that God gave him, so he's never going to be great at some things some TE's can do well.  But I'm pretty optimistic that he's going to turn out be a capable, useful team player, down the road.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craig said:

Not sure he has.  But Patrick has.  So *IF* Myers does become available, then he could indirectly replace an injured guard by playing center and letting Patrick slide over.  

In that 5-second agility-drill clip, it seemed to me that Turner looked more bouncy than did Myers, for whatever reason.  Makes me hopeful that Turner might be fully ready by the first playoff game.  

Myers had surgery, that will sap your conditioning and take the bounce out of your step. 

After reading more about Cobb's injury I am shocked he is activated.  Won't play I'm sure quite yet but wow.

I'm not a medical person but the sound of that hurts my insides..

"three torn adductor muscles and a torn rectus abdominus."

• Like 1

Tom Silverstein -   Been told Alexander has been helping out when numbers are low in the receiver room and running routes with the offense. Probably just a way to get him practice reps and test his range of motion in his shoulder. The last step will be whether he can put his shoulder down and tackle.