Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But back injuries are something you assume the worst and hope for the best.  He's missed the entire season at this point.  There's nothing to suggest that he's going to be ready to play, let alone play at a high level when he does get back.

Maybe we will be surprised here and Z will start practing in the next week or so?  I don't want to count on, but I don't want to rule it out either.  

Paul Bretl -    How it would work? I have no idea, but Ian Rapoport reported that the Packers may end up using the franchise tag on Adams. In 2022, that contract is expected to be $20M and with it being a one year deal, all $20M will be on next year’s books as is.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -    How it would work? I have no idea, but Ian Rapoport reported that the Packers may end up using the franchise tag on Adams. In 2022, that contract is expected to be $20M and with it being a one year deal, all $20M will be on next year’s books as is.

Not sure how it's going to work either, but the 2022 roster is going to look a lot different based on current cap condition. It almost has to. 

Smart thing is to tag Adams.  Really they have to.  Try to work out a long term deal and if they can't reach an agreement then trade him.  At least we would get some compensation back.  Best WR in football should fetch maybe a 2 and 4.  I'd be ok with that.  If he was younger a 1.  Also he wants a record setting deal so that factors in as well. 

13 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Per Rappaport:  The Packers want Rodgers to stay next year.

Also: Adams to get tagged?

https://www.nfl.com/news/davante-adams-packers-wr-franchise-tag-aaron-rodgers?campaign=Twitter_atn

Packers being smart. They either sincerely want him back or they are going to do a full court public opinion press that Rodgers is the one who wants to leave, not them so that when he's traded, fans won't burn down Gute's house. I've said all year it's pretty much career suicide for Gute to trade the soon to be reigning two-time MVP so if it happens it has to look as though it's "100% Aaron's decision to go because we wanted him back "

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Important perspective from a guy who's been there. While I don't think Adams ends up tagged, nothing is impossible. It's just numbers. 

He's not wrong, but it's also not as easy as he's making it out to be.  Cap issues are a problem, but it's also needs to be discussed in context.  The Packers need to clear about ~$19.1M to tag Adams, which could be cleared by releasing Za'Darius Smith and Randall Cobb.  Is Adams worth releasing Rodgers' friend and a "starting" pass rusher?

54 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Smart thing is to tag Adams.  Really they have to.  Try to work out a long term deal and if they can't reach an agreement then trade him.  At least we would get some compensation back.  Best WR in football should fetch maybe a 2 and 4.  I'd be ok with that.  If he was younger a 1.  Also he wants a record setting deal so that factors in as well. 

I'm having a hard time pegging exactly what Adams' value is.  Stefon Diggs brought back a first and fourth the following year plus a few late Day 3 picks, but he was younger and was signed to a long-term deal.  But Davante Adams is/was clearly better then Diggs.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's not wrong, but it's also not as easy as he's making it out to be.  Cap issues are a problem, but it's also needs to be discussed in context.  The Packers need to clear about ~$19.1M to tag Adams, which could be cleared by releasing Za'Darius Smith and Randall Cobb.  Is Adams worth releasing Rodgers' friend and a "starting" pass rusher?

Yes.  Cobb isn't playing in 2022 in GB on his current contract.

Z isn't worth $28M in 2022

Edited by squire12

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Good points.....and yes, context matters.

We've pretty much played this entire season without Z....and while I recognize and appreciate Cobb's efforts (he has made some clutch / important catches.....) - could we survive without them as well next year?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Good points.....and yes, context matters.

We've pretty much played this entire season without Z....and while I recognize and appreciate Cobb's efforts (he has made some clutch / important catches.....) - could we survive without them as well next year?

I was using that as an example.   There's another $40.6M to clear as well.

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes.  Cobb isn't playing in 2022 in GB on his current contract.

Z isn't worth $28M in 2022

Yah Cobb's contract was pretty generous.  He's worth about half of what he's making.  He'll need a contract adjustment if he wants to stay.  As for Z he came into camp injured.  Were the Packers obligated to keep him/pay him for this year?  Or were they playing nice?  He won't be a Packer next year.  He might not even play football again.  Back surgeries are extremely serious.  Had hope that maybe we could get him for a few games toward the end of this year.  But to hold up for a whole season?  I would have serious reservations. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was using that as an example.   There's another $40.6M to clear as well.

:) Did I think you're example was the key to solving next years cap situation? No.
Similar comparisons / trade off will be required but t
he starting point - the great unknown - is what's in ARs head and what will he deem a good extension (or if he actually wants to stay.) I dont think the FO wants to "push him out" as some have put forward.

Regardless, thats the keystone around which the entire bridge will be built. Without knowing that...the rest is all conjecture at this point. Only time (and actual public utterances from the parties involved) will tell.

As Brandt mentioned on Twitter: Just savor the present.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

My bad .. should have read the other posts first.  Doesn't matter, Z won't be here.

Edited by coachbuns