Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

I mean to be fair, the argument isn't that they don't end up liking it here after they come, it's that they don't want to actually come in the first place.

Yes but didn’t recents Amos, Jimmy G, Z, Preston, etc who had options kind of put that to bed that free agents aren’t interested in GB? Of course there are some that would prefer other places (Odell etc)but GB certainly suits some too. Not every football player is from a big city/warm weather area etc. TT just never went after them really so it was hard for free agents to even end up in GB.

Edited by Arthur Penske

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yes but didn’t recents Amos, Jimmy G, Z, Preston, etc who had options kind of put that to bed that free agents aren’t interested in GB? Of course there are some that would prefer other places (Odell etc)but GB certainly suits some too. Not every football player is from a big city/warm weather area etc. TT just never went after them really so it was hard for free agents to even end up in GB.

It was probably overrated. But it still exists to some level I'm sure. Seems TT always had a hard number, that was probably not that generous, and wouldn't negotiate much. That was always the talk. Gute maybe bends more? Probably a better recruiter, think he's had more open cash. 

Hopefully guys who come out and talk about loving being here, can be a benefit going forward though. That would sure be nice.

I was googling around and it looks like David Moore only returned 22 punts in the NFL, and looks like maybe a handful in college. That kind of surprised me after today, he didn't explode but he looked comfortable at least.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

I was googling around and it looks like David Moore only returned 22 punts in the NFL, and looks like maybe a handful in college. That kind of surprised me after today, he didn't explode but he looked comfortable at least.

I’ll take comfortable and sure-handed at this point, lol.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Norm said:

Comfortable at least?  Lifetime contract!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’ll take comfortable and sure-handed at this point, lol.

That was kind of my crappy point, I'm not trying to be a downer, he looks good. But it's not like he's this long tenured vet with tons of experience doing it. I would have guessed he had more based on what I saw today. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

That was kind of my crappy point, I'm not trying to be a downer, he looks good. But it's not like he's this long tenured vet with tons of experience doing it. I would have guessed he had more based on what I saw today. 

Yeah, I followed your logic and agree wholeheartedly.  Like you, I thought he had more experience also.  Maybe fielding punts just comes more naturally to some.

I’m also going to temper my enthusiasm a bit - it’s only been one game, lol.  Off to a good start though for sure.

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

He did just get to town and played in a 5° game. He should show a bit more n carpet next week. 

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Speaking of OBJ.....he took a lot of **** for not selecting GB.....but he actually lives in LA and they're the #2 seed now...so he didnt fare badly IMO.

7 hours ago, Norm said:

I mean to be fair, the argument isn't that they don't end up liking it here after they come, it's that they don't want to actually come in the first place.

Very true - lots of stories of "Green Bay? Ugh" followed by someone either settling here or at least speaking fondly about their time here (Woodson, for one). 

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Green Bay is a bit less than most major league cities, but I've always thought that "everyone wants to be in LA or Miami" nonsense to be a bit overrated....some players want that but also does a team REALLY want a guy whose priority appears to be going somewhere that they can pay $500 per bottle to drink Cristal in the VIP section until 4 am? 

53 minutes ago, Leader said:

Speaking of OBJ.....he took a lot of **** for not selecting GB.....but he actually lives in LA and they're the #2 seed now...so he didnt fare badly IMO.

For now .. Rams didn't look anything special in their win yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

For now .. Rams didn't look anything special in their win yesterday.  

They've been playing uneven for awhile, but OBJ's settling in and filling the Robert Wood void. Rather than folding, they've won 5 in a row and are the #2 seed. If we see them down the road, the difference from the last time will be their getting the backfield in order.