Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I honestly do not think Gute gets any heat at all for trading ol Rodg, Super Bowl or not.   Most fans these days are better informed than that, and those that aren't squawk without affect.  That's unless he would trade him on the cheap, which isn't going to happen.  Get the proper treasure for the guy and all will be happy.  Or sign him to the right extension, either way.  I don't think he'll agree to that extension.

36 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’d be ok with this, as would a good number of posters in this forum.  The problem is, a majority of Packer fans, and probably many pundits, would bury Gute and company for trading away a two-time SB winner and 4-time MVP…on the heels of a SB win.  Reason and logic don’t resonate with a majority of Packer fans because emotions and attachment cloud their judgement.  I just don’t see how Gute could survive the enormous backlash - even if he laid out an iron-clad reason for having to make the move.

We’ll see - if it happens, there will be a need for those of us who understand the plan to help Gute and company survive the onslaught of criticism.

Initial backlash would be there for sure.

Long term it would depend on several thing.

1.  How Love performs?

2.  How Rodgers performs?

3.  How the draft picks/players perform?

2 of those 3 go in favor of GB, and the narrative/analysis could change

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   All 3 of the Packers 2021 All Pro players have unclear paths to return in 2022:

• Campbell’s contract voids in March
  • Adams is a free agent looking to get a trillion dollars this off-season
  • Rodgers’ situation is… um, yeah

How many do you think return in 2022?

Packers finally get bonafide good ILB play and yet tragically it'll only be for one season. Just don't see how they can find a way to keep him under their current situation. Gotta prioritize Rodgers and Davante, and then got guys like Jaire, Jenkins, and Gary they need to extend over the next year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I’d be ok with this, as would a good number of posters in this forum.  The problem is, a majority of Packer fans, and probably many pundits, would bury Gute and company for trading away a two-time SB winner and 4-time MVP…on the heels of a SB win.  Reason and logic don’t resonate with a majority of Packer fans because emotions and attachment cloud their judgement.  I just don’t see how Gute could survive the enormous backlash - even if he laid out an iron-clad reason for having to make the move.

We’ll see - if it happens, there will be a need for those of us who understand the plan to help Gute and company survive the onslaught of criticism.

I mean it's more than just fans and pundits. You're talking about probably the most unprecedented move in sports history...trading away the reigning 2-time MVP who happens to play the most important position in the game.

If MVPs are a benchmark for how good of a season Rodgers has had, then the last two seasons have been 2 of his best 4 seasons in 17 years of absolute dominant HOF QB play. I feel like Allen Iverson and Jim Mora saying "but we're talking about trading him?" 

Now if 12 forces GB into that decision, we're talking apples/oranges at that point and I could see a deal made. That's the only universe where this happens. 

• Like 1

I hope they can extend Rodgers. But if not, then after trading him and going with Love for a season, if it doesn't pan out, use alot of that draft collateral to draft a top QB prospect high in the draft. Keep doing it until you get it right (gosh darnit!) I mean, what the Packers org has established the past 30 years is that they will prioritize and build around the QB position. 

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean it's more than just fans and pundits. You're talking about probably the most unprecedented move in sports history...trading away the reigning 2-time MVP who happens to play the most important position in the game.

If MVPs are a benchmark for how good of a season Rodgers has had, then the last two seasons have been 2 of his best 4 seasons in 17 years of absolute dominant HOF QB play. I feel like Allen Iverson and Jim Mora saying "but we're talking about trading him?" 

Now if 12 forces GB into that decision, we're talking apples/oranges at that point and I could see a deal made. That's the only universe where this happens. 

Need to keep this discussion in the "grey area" -

I dont think GB will arbitrarily trade 12 away. Nope. I'm confident - or I believe better put - they'll offer him some semblance of an amendment to the offer already on the table and rejected.

I dont believe they're gonna go full on NOLA and crap all over future caps - nor do I want them to. This season's about as "extended" as I can recall them doing so and it was as much (if not more) driven by COVID than simply AR's contract #'s reaching these levels.  

The "future" is the new TV money and somehow/someway Ball needs to build a contract bridge to that period when the cap gets increased and back on some sort of regular (i.e. can be planned for....) increases - you know, like the good ole days.

Can that be done w/o some sort of assistance from AR? I dont know (thats why Ball rakes in the big money) - but I dont think if AR comes in at seasons end - and - A) Indicates an actual willingness to talk turkey - but - B) at serious TOP DOLLAR (and cap %) numbers - then that willingness may by symbolic only. I suspect he knows the team wont go there - which will dovetail with his interest to move on.

It take two to tango. Do we have dance partners here? Nobody knows at this juncture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

Get the proper treasure for the guy and all will be happy

Therein lies the rub. I've seen 3x 1sts, a second, and good players for AR and that seems far fetched for a 38 year old QB, MVP or not.

Personally I'd be happy with 2x 1sts and a second (provided the 1sts are decent), but others here have a rather different view. 

Because of that value difference, there will be those that are disappointed in the lower offer and they can line up and march alongside the 'keep Rodgers at all costs' fans here.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

I hope they can extend Rodgers. But if not, then after trading him and going with Love for a season, if it doesn't pan out, use alot of that draft collateral to draft a top QB prospect high in the draft. Keep doing it until you get it right (gosh darnit!) I mean, what the Packers org has established the past 30 years is that they will prioritize and build around the QB position. 

Wait until Bryce Young enters the draft… then tank that season.

Combine a cali kid with Alabama. Green Bay had luck with an Alabama QBs and a Cali kid at QB.

Edited by Green19

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

Wait until Bryce Young enters the draft… then tank that season.

Combine a cali kid with Alabama. Green Bay had luck with an Alabama QBs and a Cali kid at QB.

Young likely enters the 2023 draft. That being said, I also don't think he's the type of QB you tank for. Neither is CJ Stroud.

Jaxson Dart, if he ends up at Ole Miss, is a guy to watch out for.

Just now, Green19 said:

What about Caleb Williams?

I'd rather just do what we do and see what we have in Love, if that time comes, than bank on any of these kids. There's no Luck (yet). I'd rather play it out and wait for Arch Manning or Quinn Ewers (same class as Williams).

On 1/15/2022 at 9:29 AM, NFLGURU said:

I'd much rather trade him than have him retire.  We got 16 years out of him, that's a long time.  If you can get a decent return for him, it's time.  

I think he's coming back, but a decent trade haul could be a springboard for the next era.  You aren't going to replace Rodgers, but a decent trade could help a lot with the transition.

But if he were to say he would only play for an NFC North team, would you still feel this way?