Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

AJ Dillon says the loss is still fresh - 

“No words can really describe everything everyone has invested into this. We’re pretty heartbroken. Nobody expected this.”

You beat these guys on a final drive that started with :37 seconds left with a last second FG.  Unexpected or unprepared???

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Huh?  You think Buffalo doesn't have cold winter weather .. it's 11 degrees there today.  If anything, being smaller, quicker, faster is better in cold weather?   Not having a TE as a safety blanket like KC, SF, Baltimore really hurts .. GB had NOTHING at te after Tonyan got hurt.  

True. I should have separated out KC vs. Buffalo. The Bills two (seemingly ascending) receiving options in Knox and Davis have very good size/speed combinations. I think that is more optimal as things get worse and speed gets neutralized a bit.

I should clarify that you absolutely want to keep getting faster. Especially for what the Packers want to run. But the ideal are those WRs who are big AND fast. And increasing size/speed at TE so your options have a higher top speed than Marcedes Lewis.

I do also wonder if the fact that the Packers play on grass vs. turf makes difference as it gets worse. Buffalo uses artificial surface, so you won't see it erode as much once the snow/precipitation starts falling. In good conditions, straight line speed is a wash but cut speed is lower. Not sure what happens when you throw weather in there.

The Packers Wire -  Aaron Rodgers wanted more input on personnel decisions. Now, he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

What a difference a few months can make.

In July, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers begged the team to let him have more input on personnel decisions. Now, after a stunning playoff defeat, Rodgers said he has no interest in being part of a rebuild in Green Bay.

“I don’t want to be a part of a rebuild if I’m going to keep playing,” Rodgers said after Saturday night’s 13-10 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

The Packers are deep in salary-cap debt entering the offseason and have numerous players with expiring contracts or uncertain futures, including Rodgers, All-Pro Davante Adams and edge rusher Za’Darius Smith.

“There’s a lot of players whose futures are up in the air, so definitely will be interesting to see which way some of those decisions will go,” Rodgers said.

The message came across clear: Rodgers, now 38, doesn’t want to play in Green Bay if the Packers aren’t going to be a true contender, so general manager Brian Gutekunst better have a plan to perform more salary-cap magic to keep the team together or he’s gone.

It’s funny. Maybe players, even great players, shouldn’t dictate the way a team is run, especially on the personnel side.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Packers Wire -  Aaron Rodgers wanted more input on personnel decisions. Now, he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

In July, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers begged the team to let him have more input on personnel decisions. Now, after a stunning playoff defeat, Rodgers said he has no interest in being part of a rebuild in Green Bay.

“I don’t want to be a part of a rebuild if I’m going to keep playing,” Rodgers said after Saturday night’s 13-10 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

The Packers are deep in salary-cap debt entering the offseason and have numerous players with expiring contracts or uncertain futures, including Rodgers, All-Pro Davante Adams and edge rusher Za’Darius Smith.

“There’s a lot of players whose futures are up in the air, so definitely will be interesting to see which way some of those decisions will go,” Rodgers said.

The message came across clear: Rodgers, now 38, doesn’t want to play in Green Bay if the Packers aren’t going to be a true contender, so general manager Brian Gutekunst better have a plan to perform more salary-cap magic to keep the team together or he’s gone.

It’s funny. Maybe players, even great players, shouldn’t dictate the way a team is run, especially on the personnel side.

his big personnel move being Cobb, who did absolutely nothing Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

so general manager Brian Gutekunst better have a plan to perform more salary-cap magic to keep the team together

And they don’t really have any more of that magic. It was all spent last offseason, getting restructures from anybody and everybody, and acquiring Cobb. 

I see no cap scenario where we retain Rodgers and add enough FA pieces to make up for the starters & depth that will be departing (whether by cap-casualty cut or by expiring contract). 

Any chance of improvement would have to come from hitting on draft picks, or hitting the lottery on more guys like Campbell/Douglas. 

• Like 1

Ryan Wood -   Josh Myers shares his knee injury for first time. Packers rookie center says he tore MCL and also had tibial plateau fracture vs Bears. He had surgery on both, an MCL scope and 6 screws in tibia. A significant knee injury that left Myers non weight bearing for 6 weeks.

On his finger issue that caused him to miss time earlier in the season, Myers said on top of it being broken, he got an infection that spread into his bones.

Edited by Leader

Ryan Wood -   Rasul Douglas giving his pitch Packers keeping defense intact: "I think we've seen that package on third down with all of us on the field, that's a scary package right there."

• Peter Bukowski -  Says it would only take a “little bit” more than the minimum “nothing crazy.” Also said he’d play safety. If they can keep Douglas, that would be a coup.

Ross Uglem -  This is all well and good until a team turns on the tape from this season and offers him real years and money.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Leader said:

For him to not want to be a part of a rebuild he'd have to take a below market deal to help keep the band together.  I wonder if he showed that he was willing to do that if the Packers brass would jump at it?  It could be that they deep down just want to move on.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

You think I’m gloating? I’m in mourning.

And that’s kinda exactly what I’ve been saying. Every QB is going to choke in at least one playoff game. That’s the expectation. But this was beyond choking. This was willful, mental choking, and that’s not acceptable nor forgivable. If he had thrown 7 interceptions I’d be 10 times more willing to forgive him. He didn’t because his stubborn unwillingness to play the offense just cost us probably a Super Bowl win considering the teams that are left.

2010 Championship game I have not held against Rodgers because the dude actually threw the ball then. That Urlacher interception was him willing to play the offense and make quick decisions.

more reading less posting please