Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

If Douglas is actually good with coming back at a number anything close to the minimum, that seems like a no-brainer.  He can't really mean that, can he?

I'm sure his agent called him about 5 minutes after he said that.  Maybe he's in a place he feels happy and part of a team?

• Like 1

Just now, NFLGURU said:

I'm sure his agent called him about 5 minutes after he said that.  Maybe he's in a place he feels happy and part of a team?

Maybe before he got nabbed off the Cardinals PS.....he and his family actually vacationed in GB :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Lol, people are so sure of a firing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is kept, and a special asst. is hired to help with the workload.  

Special assistant to help with workload?  What would his job be .. help coach the crap again to be the worst special teams in the nfl?   You would be the ONLY one who wouldn't be surprised ... not one other person thinks that.

1 hour ago, R T said:

Because some irrational fans feel the need to get their pound of flesh doesn't mean that is what is going to happen. It might happen, but then again it very well might not.  

Irrational?  If this guy had any other job and his unit/group performed as miserably as this year's bunch, he'd be fired the next day.  Nothing irrational here .. look at the stats/results from this year .. he's frickin toast and should be based solely on production and/or lack of it.

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Special assistant to help with workload?  What would his job be .. help coach the crap again to be the worst special teams in the nfl?   You would be the ONLY one who wouldn't be surprised ... not one other person thinks that.

The problem may not be Drayton.  Let MLF look at it, figure it out and proceed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The problem may not be Drayton.  Let MLF look at it, figure it out and proceed.

The only problem may not be Drayton, but he is part of the problem. His job is to coach the ST. Whether we have below average players on our ST compared to other teams or not,  we are talking about basics. Blocking, lane coverage, etc. That is on him. He needs to be fired

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree,  it's widespread.  Is it the quality of athlete on STs?  Is it attitude of players thinking ST is beneath them?  Lines not lining up correctly??  Do you have the right guys in the right places?  Why is Lancaster blocking??

It's easy to blame Drayton.  It may have little to do with him, it may have a lot to do with him.  They'll take a look at it and go from there.  

Think about what you're doing when you're putting a ST unit together. You're taking the scraps left over from the rest of the team.

Our FG team for example only had Patrick, Nijman, Runyan, and Newman. You bet your *** Drayton would have liked to use Turner, Kelly, and Myers, but was definitely told no. So you fill in the rest of the unit with your other big guys. In this case Lancaster, Slaton, Lowry, and Davis. 

For teams that really care about ST, and keep 7 offensive lineman up on game day, you generally play with all 7 (maybe you sit a star) and a blocking tight end (or two). 

Had the Packers done that, the FG never gets blocked.

That's just one issue.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Think about what you're doing when you're putting a ST unit together. You're taking the scraps left over from the rest of the team.

Our FG team for example only had Patrick, Nijman, Runyan, and Newman. You bet your *** Drayton would have liked to use Turner, Kelly, and Myers, but was definitely told no. So you fill in the rest of the unit with your other big guys. In this case Lancaster, Slaton, Lowry, and Davis. 

For teams that really care about ST, and keep 7 offensive lineman up on game day, you generally play with all 7 (maybe you sit a star) and a blocking tight end (or two). 

That's just one issue.

Whoever makes the decision to let Lancaster block on our kicks instead of a starting OL in the playoffs needs to seriously self-reflect. 

Maybe every team does this.

Maybe they're all stupid, too.

Every snap counts in playoffs. Except the ones that don't. Go ahead and out Tyler Lancaster in when we're up 3 scores.

I'm guessing it's a weekly prep time commitment thing, because conditioning and snap count don't even register in those situations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Whoever makes the decision to let Lancaster block on our kicks instead of a starting OL in the playoffs needs to seriously self-reflect. 

Every snap counts in playoffs. Except the ones that don't. Go ahead and out Tyler Lancaster in when we're up 3 scores.

I'm guessing it's a weekly prep time commitment thing, because conditioning and snap count don't even register in those situations.

Agree here. It’s a god dang field goal! How many serious injuries have you seen while blocking for a FG?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

For reference, the 49ers had 7 lineman dressed and 5 played on their FG team. The two that didn't are 36 year old Alex Mack and 33 year old Trent Williams

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's just one issue.

It's things like that MLF will evaluate.  Could be a philosophy change in ST blocking and coverage.  I'm not pro or anti Drayton.  Let it play out.  Maybe he's gone, maybe he isn't.  I have confidence MLF will handle it correctly. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Something else they should self reflect on......after Willis bulled our long snapper into the punter for the block logic says that an adjustment should be made. Nope. Next punt our long snapper was blocking Willis one-on-one during the false start penalty and the actually punt. Same thing could've happened again. Makes no sense.

Regarding Drayton:

Week after week I was thinking some kind of ST failures as they occured over the course of the season will cost us the SB. And here we are. The Packers are ranked 32nd on ST. That could be because of the ST players overall are better than 32nd, but Drayton coached them down, or it could be that the ST players were the worst in the league and Drayton failed to coach them up. In either scenario he should be fired. I didn't see any reports of him trying to fix things. You see Crosby failing to get TBs all year, but I never heard that they tried letting Bojo (who has a strong leg) manage KO duties. I didn't hear anything about putting in Love to hold on FGs when Bojo mishandled snaps. Trial and error is at least an improvement if error is your baseline.

Regarding Rodgers:

If you don't want to play in GB if they are rebuilding, fine, then take a pay cut and free up money to keep the team together. Brady always signed team friendly contracts in order to build the team around. Sure, Brady has a rich wife, that brings home the money, but Rodgers bank account is very likely to be in 9 digits, which should be enough to survive for the next couple of decades.

Edited by Gravedigger93
  • Like 1