Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -  Contrary to an overnight report, the Packers have not lined up any trades for Aaron Rodgers, according to a source.

Matt doesn't realize how nonsense this tweet is. Literally the ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD who would know whether or not NO trades are lined up for Aaron Rodgers is Gute. And Gute ain't his source.

File this tweet under utter and complete objective nonsense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He picked his QB coach, you all have media ADD. He's coming back. As much as I want pick #9 and to talk about what haul we could get, it's not happening. 

Ahhhhh.....I dont know. The GB FO might have figured out the best QB Coach for Love was the same one that produced HOF QB #2.   I mean seriously....does anybody think AR listens to a QB Coach anymore?  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He picked his QB coach, you all have media ADD. He's coming back. As much as I want pick #9 and to talk about what haul we could get, it's not happening. 

Yah that's been my thinking all along.  Denver hiring Hackett and then this report has slightly skewed my thinking.  80% he's coming back 20% he gets traded.  About where I am at now.  As far as no trade talks that doesn't fit with Ian's report.  If he's considering Denver you would have to think a deal has been talked about.  

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

For Adams yes, that is the most logical destination. For us, Cleveland drafts 9 slots higher in the first round 8 in the second round. 

But there's also the Adams' side that needs to be taken into account.  Is he going to want to play in Cleveland?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ahhhhh.....I dont know. The GB FO might have figured out the best QB Coach for Love was the same one that produced HOF QB #2.   I mean seriously....does anybody think AR listens to a QB Coach anymore?  :)

I said from the start I'd be very excited to have Clements coach Love, but does he come out of retirement for a project or to coach his buddy? 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yah that thought had occurred to me as well.  Clements is an excellent hire regardless.  After watching Love play last year I'd definitely say he needs some coaching up. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

weird data point among countless factors in his decision to hang your hat on lol

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

If he's considering Denver you would have to think a deal has been talked about.  

Can a player speak to another team about his client who's under contract to another? I know the player himself cant....so wondering.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

But there's also the Adams' side that needs to be taken into account.  Is he going to want to play in Cleveland?

Think Adams wants to get paid period.  He made that abundantly clear.  Whoever offers the most upfront cash is who he'll want to play for.  Thinking a 2 and a 4.  Most we could fetch in a tag and trade scenario.  A mid 1 and 2 is unrealistic IMO. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

weird data point among countless factors in his decision to hang your hat on lol

Data points? That is the only factual data in this entire thing. We hired his pick for QB coach, out of retirement at that. What data is there for him not coming back? Florio reports? Lol sweet.

The guy is playing here for the next two years, and signing an extension that makes him the highest paid player in the league. Time to move on to the acceptance phase.

I understand both Denver and Pittsburgh as potential destinations for Rodgers as both has empty QB spots and have cap space but in Tennessee's case they have three issues going against them.

1. They're currently over the cap (not by much though)
2. Limited number of draft picks. One late first round pick, no second rounders... They just don't have the draft capital right now.
3. They also got the awkward matter of Tannehill's contract to deal with as well. Cutting him results in $57.4m dead cap which obviously is never going to happen so the only way to make this work is through a trade.

So in order for Rodgers to move to Tennessee Tannehill needs to be traded to free up cap space and amass some draft picks which in turn can be used to acquire Rodgers. Lots of moving parts.

Tannehill is from Texas and Houston needs a QB. Houston has a high first round pick and have some cap space. It's one possible scenario.

Normally I would dismiss Tennessee as a possible trade partner but I have this sinking feeling because Rodgers bought a house in Tennessee.

Davante Adams is doing something similar buying a house in Las Vegas. Both guys have no known connections with those areas and making risky large financial investments with absolutely no guarantees. You just wouldn't do this.... unless everything has already been agreed and all the teams are just keeping quiet.

Maybe they're waiting for the first domino to fall which is probably Adams tag deadline as that will influence what happens with Rodgers.

It won't be an easy and predictable fall of dominos, powerful interests and egos are at play to manipulate events. There might be sabotage, money changing hands under the table, an dodgy agent, maybe some shady Nike/Adidas executive sticking their noses in, maybe a nicely timed release of bad news in the media. Perhaps one of those billionaires own an airport or two and can delay flights to their advantage.

If we're going to get under the cap by $20 million to franchise Adams, we better get going on it.  I still have this belief that one of the reasons Rodgers is waiting on announcing his decision is he wants to make sure the Packers do not use the franchise tag on Adams so that Adams can max his next contract this offseason.