Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But there's also the Adams' side that needs to be taken into account.  Is he going to want to play in Cleveland?

My opinion, if he's not playing in Green Bay he's going to who pays him the most money. If Cleveland ponies up, he'll go. 

This is based on nothing more than my opinion mind you.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Or it's just the Packers maintaining their trade leverage.

If a team REALLY wants to open trade negotiations they have to submit a serious offer.

If the Packers say he is available for a trade then teams will open with a lowball offer and so the Packers will be relying on other teams to bid against each other to drive up the price. Another side effect of saying Rodgers is available is that it could result in a fallout between the Packers and Rodgers and there's nothing for to stop, turn around and publicly announce he where he wants to go and BOOM all leverage is gone and it becomes messy end which i'm sure both the Packers and Rodgers do not want.

It is in the Packers best interest to stay quiet, hope Rodgers stay quiet and just maybe receive a huge trade offer seriously worth considering and go speak to Rodgers about it. The goodwill and relationship is maintained throughout the whole process and if a trade doesn't work out Rodgers can rejoin the team without any awkwardness or ill feeling.

If Ian's report is true then this most likely already happened IMO.  Denver has made a huge offer for Rodgers.  The Packers are OK with it.  Leave it up to Aaron to decide what he wants to do.  We could be there.  

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kliff Kingsburry hand-picked Kyler Murray, he's going to stick with him.

Probably true, but Kingsbury did not know he'd have a shot at Rodgers in this hypothetical situation. Also, rumors were that love affair was losing its passion. 

Just spit balling thoughts on where we could get the most for Rodgers. 

27 minutes ago, Sandy said:

You have to realize the Packers have no leverage here.  He's on the last year of his contract, if he doesn't agree to extend with whatever team that trades for him the draft return plummets.

I think Pittsburgh makes sense. The divisions are similarly challenging, but the important factor you're overlooking is that if Rodgers decides he wants to be traded, it's not to win a SB. His best shot is here. It would only be to try something new. Pittsburgh has a whole different culture. And if Rodgers wants to go there I don't think they're going to say "but wait, we need to draft and develop".

Why would he just go someplace that has so much familiarity and runs the same offense he was running in GB if he wants to try something new before retiring?

This is absolutely not true. If Rodgers want to play the Packers have all kinds of leverage. 

As for Pittsburgh, they don't have the roster to win it with Rodgers. Giving up a ton of draft capital does not make that problem go away, it exacerbates it. 

30 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

If we're going to get under the cap by $20 million to franchise Adams, we better get going on it.  I still have this belief that one of the reasons Rodgers is waiting on announcing his decision is he wants to make sure the Packers do not use the franchise tag on Adams so that Adams can max his next contract this offseason.

Use the franchise tag on Adams, and then trade Rodgers and cut his old pals to free up the cap room.  Then trade Adams.  Load up on draft pick ammo/players and remake this team for the next decade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

If Ian's report is true then this most likely already happened IMO.  Denver has made a huge offer for Rodgers.  The Packers are OK with it.  Leave it up to Aaron to decide what he wants to do.  We could be there.  

Could be, but the chances of that not leaking are about slim and none and slim just left town.  

Just now, NFLGURU said:

Could be, but the chances of that not leaking are about slim and none and slim just left town.  

That's what I've been saying. GB's been saying for some time "We want him back....." - for multiple reasons - be they genuine or for PR purposes...only they know for sure - and for it to go public that they're entertaining trade scenarios would shoot them all to hell. 

23 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Oh yeah, ok buddy. Let's just trade him to a team he doesn't want to play for so he can retire in the worst case and leave as a free agent in a year in the best case. 

Rodgers holds the cards whether you like him or not. He can only be traded if he's agreed to extend with that team.

I don't think this is true.  The Packers can trade him to anyone that can afford his current contract.  He could decide to retire, or the draft pick/player return could be low if he refuses to redo his deal.  He doesn't have a no trade clause.

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

My opinion, if he's not playing in Green Bay he's going to who pays him the most money. If Cleveland ponies up, he'll go. 

This is based on nothing more than my opinion mind you.

Adams does have leverage that if he's franchise tagged he can simply tell them that he won't sign a long-term deal with him.  I'd imagine in the scenario that Rodgers is traded after Adams is tagged that Gute will allow his agents to negotiate with other teams.

43 minutes ago, Sandy said:

You have to realize the Packers have no leverage here.  He's on the last year of his contract, if he doesn't agree to extend with whatever team that trades for him the draft return plummets.

I think Pittsburgh makes sense. The divisions are similarly challenging, but the important factor you're overlooking is that if Rodgers decides he wants to be traded, it's not to win a SB. His best shot is here. It would only be to try something new. Pittsburgh has a whole different culture. And if Rodgers wants to go there I don't think they're going to say "but wait, we need to draft and develop".

Why would he just go someplace that has so much familiarity and runs the same offense he was running in GB if he wants to try something new before retiring?

Green Bay doesn't have leverage?  Aaron Rodgers is already 38 years old.  He's only got so many years left.  "Wasting" another year in Green Bay when he wants out isn't smart.  There's motivation on both sides to get a deal done IF Rodgers wants traded.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers deal requiring an extension with a team he approves of is not remotely equivalent to him having all the leverage.

Stop thinking half a level deep.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Your argument is so stupid coffee just came out of my nose.

The only leverage the Packers have is if they choose to cut off the nose to spite the face.

If Rodgers wants to leave, he will make that public. If the Packers do not cooperate with his wishes, he will publicly announce the teams he would sign an extension with.  He will state that if he's traded to any other team and he retires.

Please, please, please try using just a little, teensie bit of logic once and awhile. 

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it's laughable that anyone would think a single hiring of which they have NO understanding of the actual motivation is the primary evidence in this drama

It's ok to say "I don't know" if someone asks "Why do you think the Packers hired Clements?"

I'm not arguing that the Clements hiring is indicative of a Rodgers' return.

There are so many stakeholders in the current off season.   some certainly are much bigger /central pieces than others

• GB team -- what to they want to do 
    • give it 2-3 more years knowing that the after life of that is very much cap strapped for 1 year and a likely limited agility to add players/pieces in FA due to cap situation
    • trade off the big assets of Rodgers and maybe Adams, clear the cap situation and load up on draft picks/younger players with the ability to hit the FA market in the next few years
  • Rodgers
    • where does he want to play
    • who does he want to play with (GB or elsewhere)
    • how much would it be for an extension and how does that impact the other stakeholders ... Players more so than team
  • Adams
    • This is likely his last shot on a big contract, so getting the max he can makes the best sense for him
    • A Rodgers contract may impact his earning potential in GB
    • A franchise tag limits his ability to get the best deal in FA and could restrict his ability to choose his destination
  • Preston and Z Smith
    • both are in a similar situation with a big cap hit with a team that needs to clear cap space for league rules and even more to potentially bring back Rodgers and/or Adams
    • is a extension in their best interest vs getting cut and being able to pursue other options in FA
  • Jaire Alexander
    • very likely wants a long term deal that gets him the payday that is deserved
    • how much is he willing to "give back" in signing bonus ad 2022 cash flow to help the GB team and other players get their next payday
    • who knows if he even wants to be in GB long term.  Maybe he would be "OK" with playing on the 5th year tag and then hitting FA...though he could be franchise tagged in 2023
  • Adrian Amos, Billy Turner, Dean Lowry
    • all in similar situation as veterans on 2nd contracts that are nearing their end
    • GB likely needs some cap relief from 1 or more of them in a scenario that brings Adams back with Rodgers being extended.  So how does that contract work in their interest as a likely last big opportunity to get a sizeable "3rd contract"

These players being interconnected in that do the veteran players want to do an extension to help the 2022 cap when the reality that Rodgers and /or Adams might not be back.   DO they want to be in GB for a rebuilding team when getting to FA in 2022 (if released) or 2023 would allow them to pick their destination for either $$ or rings