Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Calling what's been shown to be true "nonsense" and repeatedly buying into false news is right on par for you. At least you can claim consistency.

what is nonsense your need to try to tell me what I think

I'm flattered you're so invested in what you think I think despite me repeatedly telling you that you're wrong.

1 hour ago, R T said:

And I just thought he was always jacked up on Fruit Loops. 

If you're really, really (really) into St. Patrick's Day......
The day before, down a bunch of Fruit Loops.
Your **** will be green on the day of note :)

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This is absolutely not true. If Rodgers want to play the Packers have all kinds of leverage. 

As for Pittsburgh, they don't have the roster to win it with Rodgers. Giving up a ton of draft capital does not make that problem go away, it exacerbates it. 

I don't see any leverage for GB at this point. It would be nice if they did, I agree, but he holds a trump card over every move they can make. I think Rodgers would truly rather retire - or at least threaten it - if word came out he was going somewhere he doesn't want to be. No team would risk following through on the trade if Rodgers threatens to quit. Then, if he doesn't agree to an extension, that limits the return to GB anyway.

Pittsburgh is better than you're giving them credit for. They made the playoffs in a tough division with the Ghost of Ben Roethlisberger at QB and have a healthy cap. If Rodgers decides he wants to be there and signs an extension to lower his cap hit, they can still afford several solid vets (going off the historical results from when Peyton or Brady changed teams)

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Even ruining his besties wedding. Rodgers is the worst.

This is interesting. Not the wedding, since Rodgers would have officiated and MLF would have been there anyway, but this is so far the strongest word to suggest there's a date in mind.  Still, it's tough to trust any reports right now. 

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Calling what's been shown to be true "nonsense" and repeatedly buying into false news is right on par for you. At least you can claim consistency.

Yeah it's a cyclone of varying and contradicting reports right now. At this point, all I can safely say is it seems that he's either made or is eventually going to make a decision to either stay, go, or retire; that he has enough leverage to provide a short list of acceptable teams should he go, and also has the leverage to outright select a single team to be traded to; and that the Packers may or may not be aware of his decision already, and may or may not have deals lined up with a number of teams should he elect to go to them.

Peter Bukowski -   Remember, the #Packers don't HAVE to trade Aaron Rodgers just because he asked, a scenario mentioned in the ESPN report. That's what's also keeping the asking price high: three 1s and multiple good young players. Multiple reports now of that asking price.

32 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -   Remember, the #Packers don't HAVE to trade Aaron Rodgers just because he asked, a scenario mentioned in the ESPN report. That's what's also keeping the asking price high: three 1s and multiple good young players. Multiple reports now of that asking price.

And that alternative is that they run it back with Aaron Rodgers and a diminished roster, and he walks as a FA in a year with no compensatory picks in return.  For a franchise that seems to think long-term, that would be a very unwise move.  They'll find some sort of middle ground with Rodgers.  IF Rodgers asks out, I think they'd ask for a list of teams he'd accept a move to, and they'll negotiate from there.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that alternative is that they run it back with Aaron Rodgers and a diminished roster, and he walks as a FA in a year with no compensatory picks in return.  For a franchise that seems to think long-term, that would be a very unwise move.  They'll find some sort of middle ground with Rodgers.  IF Rodgers asks out, I think they'd ask for a list of teams he'd accept a move to, and they'll negotiate from there.

Wouldnt it be nice AR came back and said:

"Lets run it back and finish what we've started. In that regard, I want a contract of 20M flat...that's all...except for lunch per diem...so that this fine FO can build an unbeatable roster. I've got plenty of cash. What I dont have is enough rings. Lets do this thing."

Wouldnt that be nice :)

Rodgers doesn't have to give the Packers a list  He can say trade me to Denver or SF or whatever team he chooses.  

What are the Packers going to do then?  Make him play this year and watch him walk?

I'm still 90/10 he's coming back, but the list thing is garbage.  His options are trade me where I want or I'll play this year and go there next year anyway.   

Edited by NFLGURU

I believe Rodgers has the leverage insofar if he declines to sign an extension, he plays out the year, his contract voids 7 days into the 2023 league year making him a free agent, leaving the Packers with some $20m in dead cap, and becoming a free agent.

If he is unwilling to sign an extension, they should trade him to some team that will do that for him.

19 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Rodgers doesn't have to give the Packers a list  He can say trade me to Denver or whatever team he chooses.  

What are the Packers going to do then?  Make him play this year and watch him walk?

I'm still 90/10 he's coming back, but the list thing is garbage.  His options are trade me where I want or I'll play this year and go there next year anyway.   

Pretty simple, the Packers call Rodgers agent and tell him, he's been traded to team XYZ. He can report or retire, up to him. 

If Rodgers wants to play, he'll play, if he doesn't he won't. 

My guess is neither my scenario or yours will be how this plays out. My guess is Rodgers will give the Packers a list of 4 or 5 teams. The Packers may say, what about this team and Rodgers may say yes or no. 

I'm pretty certain GB management has had it with this ******* and will only cooperate to a point. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Pretty simple, the Packers call Rodgers agent and tell him, he's been traded to team XYZ. He can report or retire, up to him. 

If Rodgers wants to play, he'll play, if he doesn't he won't. 

My guess is neither my scenario or yours will be how this plays out. My guess is Rodgers will give the Packers a list of 4 or 5 teams. The Packers may say, what about this team and Rodgers may say yes or no. 

I'm pretty certain GB management has had it with this ******* and will cooperate to a point. 

I doubt it.  Teams aren't trading for Rodgers without an agreement with him.  

He isn't leaving Green Bay for the 5th best option for him.  

As I've said, the key for this entire thing is DaVante Adams.  I expect a last ditch effort to sign him before the tag on Tuesday.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

As I've said, the key for this entire thing is DaVante Adams.  I expect a last ditch effort to sign him before the tag on Tuesday.  

Absolutely right. This isn't a video game where the GM's of other teams are computers. Their entire careers hinge on this. If Rodgers says "**** Cleveland, I don't want to play for the Browns" and doesn't report, everyone loses their job there. No offers come without a previously negotiated extension.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

So if Adsms gets tagged, does Rodgers agree to an extension??