Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

So if Adsms gets tagged, does Rodgers agree to an extension??

I think he would, but then would Adams play on the tag??  

I think the 50 mill price tag for Rodgers is the cost without Adams.  I dont think you can give Rodgers 50 mill, and tag/sign Adams too.   I think Rodgers will come down on his price to help get Adams in, but Adams needs a longer deal than Rodgers is likely to play.  Why would Adams sign a LTD in Green Bay if Rodgers retires in a year or two, you are stuck.   Go to LV or LAC and play with a young QB who will be there.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think he would, but then would Adams play on the tag??  

I think the 50 mill price tag for Rodgers is the cost without Adams.  I dont think you can give Rodgers 50 mill, and tag/sign Adams too.   I think Rodgers will come down on his price to help get Adams in, but Adams needs a longer deal than Rodgers is likely to play.  Why would Adams sign a LTD in Green Bay if Rodgers retires in a year or two, you are stuck.   Go to LV or LAC and play with a young QB who will be there.

My feeling is that if Adams gets tagged, that is not what Rodgers is going to be "happy with".   I think he would like Adams to get a long term deal without the tag being the driving force behind that.  

If GB tags Adams, Adams could play on the tag.  

Rodgers might be "unwilling" to do an extension and be good with just playing on the current deal.  GB might need to do a restructure/extension of as much as they can on the 2022 cap and use void years to spread out the hit.

Rodgers $26.4M base gets turned into a signing bonus.  so $25M spread out over 5 years with the last 4 being void years.  drops Rodgers 2022 cap hit by about $20M....which is enough for the Adams tag value.  It pushes a good amount into 2023 as dead cap... $27.6M.

That would allow Rodgers and Adams to potentially hit the FA market in 2023 together.

Certainly not an ideal scenario for GB as they would not get anything for Rodgers after 2022 and a tag of Adams would be near $24M if they wanted to keep him or get a 2024 comp pick.

would still require clearing the $26M that GB is still over for 2022

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

My feeling is that if Adams gets tagged, that is not what Rodgers is going to be "happy with".   I think he would like Adams to get a long term deal without the tag being the driving force behind that.  

If GB tags Adams, Adams could play on the tag

Yes Adams could play on the tag, but will he??  30 year old WR blows out his knee in 2022 and he can say good bye to a significant payday.  Is that worth the risk or should he raise a fuss and get his big money elsewhere for sure? 

NY Post - Aaron Rodgers got to be involved in a wedding after all. Despite splitting from former fiancee Shailene Woodley, Rodgers was near Santa Barbara on Saturday to officiate the wedding of Packers offensive lineman David Bakhtiari. According to the gossip site, Rodgers was heavily involved in the affair, drinking and mingling with guests.It was also reported that the quarterback was spotted with Woodley at the event and she “lovingly patted his behind.”

The reality is that Rodgers has probably made up his mind, the Packers guys probably know and the delay is them sorting out the details whether its trade, extensions or whatever. 

Its also amusing the number of people who hate the will-he wot-he circus around Rodgers but are happy spending days discussing it when they could walk away for a week or so, get on with their own lives and come back in a week or two when its probably all sorted.

I'm following it because its pretty interesting going the scenarios. I'm pretty sure most of the people complaining about it all probably do as well if they are honest with themselves.  Its only a media circus if you want it to be. Plenty of ways to avoid it all given the season is over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The reports were that she dumped him. 

Not out of the question that GB = no Shailene and Denver = Shailene and that's why he's torn.

A couple (with the means to travel at will) making a decision on whether or not to enter a lifelong partnership based on where one partner will be 5 months out of the year for maybe 2 or 3 more years. That 2 hour flight must be a killer. Seems like a rational way of thinking and par for the course for Rodgers.

15 minutes ago, glubes said:

A couple (with the means to travel at will) making a decision on whether or not to enter a lifelong partnership based on where one partner will be 5 months out of the year for maybe 2 or 3 more years. That 2 hour flight must be a killer. Seems like a rational way of thinking and par for the course for Rodgers.

Agreed, and he's the more rational one of the two of them. 

If he's still with her I really hope he leaves. I've learned enough about spread eagle sun tanning and sesame oil enemas for one lifetime.

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Woodley is an actress.  Rodgers going to Denver might help their being together more, but from what I understand she's hardly ever there.  

Does "from what you understand" about Woodley's travel habits have anything to do with your consistent narrative you think Rodgers won't be traded? Or is that just a happy coincidence?

Edited by incognito_man