Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Packers told Favre they didn't want him when they knew Rodgers was ready. They traded up to get a 1st round QB 2 years ago but are begging their existing QB to stick around, it has everything to do with Love.

If Rodgers gets dealt it will be interesting to see how aggressively the Packers approach the QB position.  That could tell us something about how they view Love.  I'm thinking they bring in a lower level vet to compete with Love.  If they swing a deal with Denver we're probably taking Drew Lock back as a throw-in.  I mentioned Mariota earlier as his past experience in LaFleur's offense would be helpful.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Rodgers gets dealt it will be interesting to see how aggressively the Packers approach the QB position.  That could tell us something about how they view Love.  I'm thinking they bring in a lower level vet to compete with Love.  If they swing a deal with Denver we're probably taking Drew Lock back as a throw-in.  I mentioned Mariota earlier as his past experience in LaFleur's offense would be helpful.

We don't want that!!  If Love bombs we don't want some journeyman QB to bail out a couple of games we would otherwise lose.

If Love doesn't take the reigns by the end of the year...we want to be in the top five for the draft.

If Love fails we want CJ Stroud.

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

We don't want that!!  If Love bombs we don't want some journeyman QB to bail out a couple of games we would otherwise lose.

If Love doesn't take the reigns by the end of the year...we want to be in the top five for the draft.

If Love fails we want CJ Stroud.

I might not have been clear .. I was talking 2022 strategy.  I think they would want to see what Love can do on the field, but would want some minor competition to push him.   I'd agree with trying to get to the top of the draft in 2023 if Love bombs.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I might not have been clear .. I was talking 2022 strategy.  I think they would want to see what Love can do on the field, but would want some minor competition to push him.   I'd agree with trying to get to the top of the draft in 2023 if Love bombs.

Kurt Benkert is the pusher.  JJ Perry from Brown is the rookie/PS guy in the 7th round.

I don't think you can read "Jordan Love isn't ready" into "the Packers want to retain Rodgers."  You're absolutely going to have a downgrade in Quarterback play going from "NFL MVP 2-years running" to "QB on a rookie contract" no matter who the second guy is.  If the Packers had Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow instead of Jordan Love they'd still want to retain Rodgers.

That, and the fact that "guy who's been a superstar for a decade plus" is the most marketable guy on your team and #2 isn't close.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Tomorrow by 4PM is the deadline to place franchise/transition tags.

The Packers have to be under the cap by 4PM March 16th.

but we can't put the tag on him without having the necessary cap space i thought? 

Just now, FinneasGage said:

but we can't put the tag on him without having the necessary cap space i thought? 

Doesn't matter until the league year starts.  If the league year starts and they are not under the cap (this won't happen) all transactions would void in reverse chronological order until they are back under the salary cap, which would rescind the tag automatically.

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think if the Packers added another QB it might be Mariota.  He's got one season in LaFleur's offense on his resume, so he'd be a quick study.  Let him and Love battle it out.  

I watched him play in London, he could barely throw the ball past the 10 yard line. He's not the answer.

Edited by Chili

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's widely reported by everyone including the beat writers that we've made a huge offer to Aaron. Why make one if you feel Love is the future? Even if Rodgers goes, I think we'd look at a Fitzpatrick type to battle it out. Just seems Love was a whiff from scouting to coaching at this point.

oh so if it's WIDELY reported it's ok to believe. Got it ;)