Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I don't know how it could be bogus when all the major news outlets are reporting that same number. What so  Rodgers is going to have it dropped to 198 Million to say I told you so? As for Adam's yes he's still playing at a high level but I don't find it prudent to pay a guy that kind of money when he'll be 34 when his contact ends. Him and Rodgers are tied together his contract will be 4 years like Rodgers.

All speculation on your part. 

If Adams plays for us for 4 more years he'll be 33. Also, the guys game has never been predicated on speed so I don't see him losing it over the next four years. 

Until we see the contract that Rodgers allegedly signed, we don't know what the actual numbers are. 

Finally, LOL because the media has never gotten it wrong! smh

23 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I don't know how it could be bogus when all the major news outlets are reporting that same number. What so  Rodgers is going to have it dropped to 198 Million to say I told you so? As for Adam's yes he's still playing at a high level but I don't find it prudent to pay a guy that kind of money when he'll be 34 when his contact ends. Him and Rodgers are tied together his contract will be 4 years like Rodgers.

Well they're all just repeating what the first report said. Just like how the Broncos reportedly had made a huge offer for Rodgers when we find out yesterday that they never even discussed a trade since they were aware he was almost guaranteed to return, and that they've been working out a deal for Russ for weeks based on this understanding.

There's no reason to think a deal is actually agreed upon. there's definitely a structure that they have in mind, but nothing is final. Why not announce it if it was?

Overheard a thing on First Take yesterday that I had to confirm by myself......and it checks out.

Targets in the GB passing game:
Davante - 169
Jones - 65
Lazard - 60
MVS - 55
Cobb - 39

THIS explains my thinking that the Packers lacked a #2 WR. That's a totally unbalanced passing attack. Be it due to WR talent or AR fixation on Davante - this (IMO) is an unacceptable and unsupportable system.

Bob Gray posted some stats awhile back that made it look like Lazard was producing at Jordy levels. I'm not questioning the stats - have no answer for them actually - but the eye test (and the above target stats) prove my point: We werent witnessing Davante and "Jordy" on the field at the same time.

We need to improve our passing game - and if that includes telling AR he needs to spread the ball around.....so be it. The above passing game isnt actually an attack - it's a DC's dream come true.

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps you should read a few more posts before you get too sarcastic.  Twice I have stated I misunderstood.   

Yeah, but did you know that Seattle traded Russell Wilson to Denver?  So if Love was traded to Seattle, he would be sitting the bench behind Drew Lock.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Overheard a thing on First Take yesterday that I had to confirm by myself......and it checks out.

Davante - 169
Jones - 65
Lazard - 60
MVS - 55
Cobb - 39

THIS explains my thinking that the Packers lacked a #2 WR. That's a totally unbalanced passing attack. Be it due to WR talent or AR fixation on Davante - this (IMO) is an unacceptable and unsupportable system.

Bob Gray posted some stats awhile back that made it look like Lazard was producing at Jordy levels. I'm not questioning the stats - have no answer for them actually - but the eye test (and the above target stats) prove my point: We werent witnessing Davante and "Jordy" on the field at the same time.

We need to improve our passing game - and if that includes telling AR he needs to spread the ball around.....so be it. The above passing game isnt actually an attack - it's a DC's dream come true.

Does it change any if looked through the lens of targets per game to normalize for injuries?

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Davante - 169
Jones - 65
Lazard - 60
MVS - 55
Cobb - 39

Cooper Kupp had over 190 targets, Tyreek had 160.

This is like saying Giannis, Curry or LeBron should take less shots so worse players can shoot more. The game is about your studs, get them the ball. 

Sure a better #2 probably converts us more 3rd downs so we could have more total pass attempts and targets for everyone, but Tae is the best receiver in the game, throwing him the ball sure as hell is not a DC's dream. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Does it change any if looked through the lens of targets per game to normalize for injuries?

Not in my opinion.

Lazard played in 15 games / 716snaps
MVS was the one with the most downtime - he played in 11 games / 455 snaps only.

We need a BALANCE passing attack.
And.....I didnt even mention the TE position which was a black hole in our offense.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure a better #2 probably converts us more 3rd downs so we could have more total pass attempts and targets for everyone, but Tae is the best receiver in the game, throwing him the ball sure as hell is not a DC's dream. 

SF sure appreciated the (over) emphasis on trying to get Davante the ball.

We need a strong #2 IMO.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

And have Love sit behind another guy for a couple more years?  Love needs to play and he won't in Denver either unless something happens to Wilson.  There has to be some  other QB needy team out there willing to take a chance on Jordon.

Is Geno going to start ahead of Love?

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Yeah, but did you know that Seattle traded Russell Wilson to Denver?  So if Love was traded to Seattle, he would be sitting the bench behind Drew Lock.

Seattle will now trade for Deshaun Watson for a small fraction of what they got for Wilson and be a much better team with more draft capital because of it. Carroll is not looking for a project at QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

SF sure appreciated the (over) emphasis on trying to get Davante the ball.

We need a strong #2 IMO.

Adams caught 82% of his targets that game. It's just the last play that gets remembered. What we need to not do is overreact due to a playoff loss like we did in 2014 when Mac gave up playcalling and our offense sucked. Rodgers to Adams was not the reason we lost. Poor ST play, poor OL play, QB play not on par with a league MVP, those are the reasons we lost. Adams needs 10 targets a game, you feed your studs. 

I'm not disagreeing on the point about a #2 (though if MVS and Lazard are back I think that's still a good enough combo), we don't need more balance though. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Adams caught 82% of his targets that game. It's just the last play that gets remembered. What we need to not do is overreact due to a playoff loss like we did in 2014 when Mac gave up playcalling and our offense sucked. Rodgers to Adams was not the reason we lost. Poor ST play, poor OL play, QB play not on par with a league MVP, those are the reasons we lost. Adams needs 10 targets a game, you feed your studs. 

I'm not disagreeing on the point about a #2 (though if MVS and Lazard are back I think that's still a good enough combo), we don't need more balance though. 

I'm not overreacting to one game. Our lack of a WEAPON at WR 2 was evident all year long..........
We *need* somebody who can actually do damage from the WR2 position - not be an occasional target.

MVS of two years ago - when (I believe) he averaged 20 yards per reception - that would be nice as I believe he's improved his receiving skills - but - is that guy gonna resurface? Can we bank on it?

Again - stats were posted that indicated Lazard was giving us Jordy-like production. Sorry - I saw Jordy play and Jordy was Davante before Davante showed up - and Lazard is no Jordy.

We need a weapon at the position. I stand by the comment and I'll die on this hill if need be :)

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Seattle will now trade for Deshaun Watson for a small fraction of what they got for Wilson and be a much better team with more draft capital because of it. Carroll is not looking for a project at QB.

Seriously doubt that.  I'm skeptical any team would trade for Watson.  Too much heat from a PR standpoint.  Don't think anything will happen on that front until his legal issues are settled.  Even then doubt any GM would want the backlash that would accompany dealing with his situation.  Wouldn't rule out Seattle out of hand.  I do think there will be some suitors for Love.  

Edited by Scoremore

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cooper Kupp had over 190 targets, Tyreek had 160.

This is like saying Giannis, Curry or LeBron should take less shots so worse players can shoot more. The game is about your studs, get them the ball. 

But how many of those bball players have been able to win championships without a strong second or even third option? 

I think that without balance, you can rule the regular season but will have an uphill battle come playoff time when there are no powderpuffs to blow through.

People can try to paint the numbers any way they want, but when Lazard and MVS are playing with the best risk-avoider in NFL history and he doesn't target them, it's less an evaluation on Rodgers as it is a statement in whether or not they'll complete the challenging catches in the tight windows. I think having a legitimate pass catcher besides Adams is the best way they can improve the team this season.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

But how many of those bball players have been able to win championships without a strong second or even third option? 

I think that without balance, you can rule the regular season but will have an uphill battle come playoff time when there are no powderpuffs to blow through.

People can try to paint the numbers any way they want, but when Lazard and MVS are playing with the best risk-avoider in NFL history and he doesn't target them, it's less an evaluation on Rodgers as it is a statement in whether or not they'll complete the challenging catches in the tight windows. I think having a legitimate pass catcher besides Adams is the best way they can improve the team this season.

The scheme gets them open, the whole point of this scheme was to improve our running game and create pass concepts that play off those run concepts. The concepts work and the receivers get open. Rodgers wants Lazard and MVS back, so he likes them and trusts them. His staring down Davante had way more to do with the fact that he usually does that when our OL leaks like a sieve than it has anything to do with Lazard and MVS. 

• Like 1