Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Seriously doubt that.  I'm skeptical any team would trade much for Watson.  Too much heat from a PR standpoint.  Don't think anything will happen on that front until his legal issues are settled.  Even then doubt any GM would want the backlash that would accompany dealing with his situation.  Wouldn't rule out Seattle out of hand.  I do think there will be some suitors for Love.  

Don't rule of Seattle in pursuit of Watson but their fans are well aware of going from a former NFL Man of the Year to DeShawn Watson.  Carroll is the perfect coach for that, but it might be a tough sell to the public.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The scheme gets them open, the whole point of this scheme was to improve our running game and create pass concepts that play off those run concepts. The concepts work and the receivers get open. Rodgers wants Lazard and MVS back, so he likes them and trusts them. His staring down Davante had way more to do with the fact that he usually does that when our OL leaks like a sieve than it has anything to do with Lazard and MVS. 

I do agree with most of this, but there is still a talent discrepancy in terms of what could take us to another level. It's not like I could go out there and get open in this scheme. At some point adding an additional threat in the passing game can elevate the rest of the offense even more.

We've got a deep threat who struggles to track deep balls and a split end who still struggles to get open with regularity despite the scheme being designed for it.

The running game is set and paid for. The o-line is great when healthy. Obviously the offense can hum already, but for the sake of improving the roster it's time to bring someone who can at least occasionally get things handled on his own.

Im on this hill with @Leader

Edited by Sandy

12 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Don't rule of Seattle in pursuit of Watson but their fans are well aware of going from a former NFL Man of the Year to DeShawn Watson.  Carroll is the perfect coach for that, but it might be a tough sell to the public.

Winning will sell it just fine.  If they trade for a problem guy, and they stink, then it becomes an issue.  

16 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Wilson is more weirdo of the lifetime than man of the year.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, he is an odd duck.  But has he done anything bad?  I don't like him, but I don't think he is a criminal.  

Well technically, I dont think Watson is either? Was he arrested in connection with these problems? I believe all the law suits are civil - not criminal - in nature.

52 minutes ago, R T said:

Seattle will now trade for Deshaun Watson for a small fraction of what they got for Wilson and be a much better team with more draft capital because of it. Carroll is not looking for a project at QB.

Yeah, I don't think so. Rumors around the combine trade deadline they turned down 3 - 1st from Miami and I believe Tua was thrown in. If Watson is cleared, the Texans are going to get a boatload of picks/players. 

There are people in media who think Denver stole Wilson from Seattle. Watson is going to fetch a big score. 

FYI, Carroll is not making these decisions and may not even be in the conversation until it's a done deal. Not at all surprised if he's not out the door soon himself. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Leader said:

Well technically, I dont think Watson is either? Was he arrested in connection with these problems? I believe all the law suits are civil - not criminal - in nature.

That is 100% fair.  He is not a criminal.  I shouldn't malign him like that.  Let's call him a more unsavory individual.  

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

No they are deciding on whether he will face criminal charges on Friday.  He goes before a Grand Jury.  Also don't forget the NFL will probably suspend him for at least a year for violation of the personal conduct policy.  As far as well if we are winning fans won't care don't buy that at all.  22 women involved in his civil suit.  8 are going before the grand jury. 

Nah I don't think any GM want to take that on at least not now.  HIs legal issues will have to be resolved first.  Then he'll have to serve his suspension.  Perhaps after things have died down in another year someone might be willing to take it on.  Won't go over well with fans whether he's winning or not.  Not exactly the type of guy you want as your face of the franchise.  Let's not forget he will have been removed from football for a couple of years.  Will he even come back the same player?  Desperate as teams are for a QB still maintain nothing will happen with him for awhile yet.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is 100% fair.  He is not a criminal.  I shouldn't malign him like that.  Let's call him a more unsavory individual.  

If teams can look the other way with a guy like Michael Vick, Watson is a piece of cake to sell to a fanbase. Carroll has never had an issue with bringing unsavory individuals by the way.   

Andrew Brandt -   Lingering issue re Aaron/Packers:

All reports last year had him getting an opt-out after 2022 where he could be a FA and pick his team.
Is that still in there? If so, he would be the most valuable FA in NFL history, get way past $50M/year.
If not, what a massive win for GB.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Whether he faces any charges or whether he is found guilty or not is another story but the actions he is being accused of absolutely includes multiple criminal offenses.

• Like 2