Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wagner is WAY WAY WAY better on an island than Campbell is. 

But you're right due to the expensive point. 

He's also 32 years old and not the same player he once was.  Dude is going to be hitting the wall if he hasn't already.  It's a young man's game.  Might get one more year out of him.  Campbell is 3 years younger but that's a big 3 years. 

49 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Unless Brandt has someone inside the building at 1265 giving him info Brandt is speculating just like other media folks.

Exactly, and considering how he hasn't been right about anything Packer related yet this offseason, I'm assuming he doesn't. Or he's getting trolled.

18 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He's also 32 years old and not the same player he once was.  Dude is going to be hitting the wall if he hasn't already.  It's a young man's game.  Might get one more year out of him.  Campbell is 3 years younger but that's a big 3 years. 

I think with modern advancements players are starting to be much more effective into their mid 30s, QBs into their 40s, etc. I don't think 32 is the kiss of death for a linebacker anymore.

There's a lot more science going into prolonging their careers with workouts and treatments and rule changes to protect player bodies much more. I'd prefer Campbell since we know he's a great fit in this defense already, but if he signs big elsewhere and Wagner wants another shot at a ring I'm all for it.

7 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Exactly, and considering how he hasn't been right about anything Packer related yet this offseason, I'm assuming he doesn't. Or he's getting trolled.

I think with modern advancements players are starting to be much more effective into their mid 30s, QBs into their 40s, etc. I don't think 32 is the kiss of death for a linebacker anymore.

There's a lot more science going into prolonging their careers with workouts and treatments and rule changes to protect player bodies much more. I'd prefer Campbell since we know he's a great fit in this defense already, but if he signs big elsewhere and Wagner wants another shot at a ring I'm all for it.

Somewhat true but QB's don't get hit anymore.  I wouldn't trust Wagner to make it through a season. If we lose Campbell and Wagner wants to come in on the cheap so be it.  Unlikely as some team will overpay for the name.  Guy is smart and that helps but he's lost a step and will most likely be injury prone.  A lot of wear and tear on him.  32 seems to be a magic number most guys (exception QB's) really start to fall off right around then.  

Ben Fennell -  Here are a few players I've noticed I'm slightly lower on than the consensus - and hey that's ok! Most have going in the 1st round...

2nd Round Grades:

EDGE David Ojabo - MICH
OT Bernhard Raimann - CMU
OT Trevor Penning - UNI
WR Drake London - USC
DL Logan Hall - UH

37 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Exactly, and considering how he hasn't been right about anything Packer related yet this offseason, I'm assuming he doesn't. Or he's getting trolled

Brandt's only stated that until he sees the new contract details - removing the out that was previously negotiated by AR - he's considering the new deal a one and done. That's it. I dont see the controversy to be honest. There's nothing in his comment to be right or wrong about.

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

Brandt's only stated that until he sees the new contract details - removing the out that was previously negotiated by AR - he's considering the new deal a one and done. That's it. I dont see the controversy to be honest. There's nothing in his comment to be right or wrong about.

Except there's nothing to suggest that the opt out is still there.  Talk about negotiating against themselves.

55 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Somewhat true but QB's don't get hit anymore.  I wouldn't trust Wagner to make it through a season. If we lose Campbell and Wagner wants to come in on the cheap so be it.  Unlikely as some team will overpay for the name.  Guy is smart and that helps but he's lost a step and will most likely be injury prone.  A lot of wear and tear on him.  32 seems to be a magic number most guys (exception QB's) really start to fall off right around then. 

I just wouldn't say that's true of his play so far. Career high in tackles last year, and his other stats are fairly in line with his career norms. Blitzed a lot less last year but still had a higher percentage of QB hurries. Second team all pro. Low QB rating against when targeted. Missed 3 games in the last 7 years. No significant surgeries.

I think it's reasonable to expect he can still have a couple good seasons left - and a couple is all we need. Guys like Calais Campbell and Justin Houston had really good seasons last year at 36 and 33, respectively. Even an age-related dropoff in play would leave him as a top 5-10 interior linebacker. I'd be all for bringing him in. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Except there's nothing to suggest that the opt out is still there.  Talk about negotiating against themselves.

Most people agree. It would be stupid for GB to leave it in there - but all Brandt's saying is till he knows it's gone, he's considering whats coming as one and done.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -  Here are a few players I've noticed I'm slightly lower on than the consensus - and hey that's ok! Most have going in the 1st round...

2nd Round Grades:

EDGE David Ojabo - MICH
OT Bernhard Raimann - CMU
OT Trevor Penning - UNI
WR Drake London - USC
DL Logan Hall - UH

I very much disagree about Ojabo.  I think he will be good.  I am not super impressed with what I have seen from Drake London.  Not sure he is a guy that you invest a bunch into. 

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Most people agree. It would be stupid for GB to leave it in there - but all Brandt's saying is till he knows it's gone, he's considering whats coming as one and done.

Brandt's been proven wrong.  I'll go with Nags.  It's probably a 2 year commitment and year to year after that.  Makes a hell of a lot of sense both to the Packers and also Aaron.  I think it's been made very clear that the Packers aren't interested in trading Aaron and Aaron wants to finish his career in GB.  I do agree with Brandt's stance on Love.  Packers are going to want a premium pick to pry him away.  

Until someone can come in and outplay Aaron he'll be the starter.  Pretty much how I see it.  If someone can outplay Aaron he'll realize it's time to hang it up.  Until then he's the starter guessing 3-4 years.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Brandt's been proven wrong.  I'll go with Nags.  It's probably a 2 year commitment and year to year after that.  Makes a hell of a lot of sense both to the Packers and also Aaron.  I think it's been made very clear that the Packers aren't interested in trading Aaron and Aaron wants to finish his career in GB.  I do agree with Brandt's stance on Love.  Packers are going to want a premium pick to pry him away.  

Until someone can come in and outplay Aaron he'll be the starter.  Pretty much how I see it.  If someone can outplay Aaron he'll realize it's time to hang it up.  Until then he's the starter guessing 3-4 years.  

Proven wrong at what? All he said was until he see's the out removed, he's gonna presume it's still there.
Has conclusive news broken that it's not there? If so, post it as I've not seen it.