Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Not gonna be happy if we let Douglas walk.  We finally have a very good / potentially elite secondary and we're gonna let the most affordable piece go.  I'll be happy for Rasul tho.  He deserves a payday.

Main reason why I think Daxton Hill will be the pick at 28. They replace in the draft.

Packers are going to let Campbell test the market
"As much as the Green Bay Packers would like to re-sign free-agent inside linebacker De’Vondre Campbell, they will have no choice but to let him test the market and see whether they can pay the going rate."

"The Packers aren’t prepared to blow Campbell away with a deal, a source familiar with their free-agent plan said, but they intend to do as much as possible to keep him. If he lands a deal that is out of their price range or well above what they think he’s worth, they will move on, but both sides have interest in reuniting and the Packers are willing to pay to keep him."

"The inside linebacker market is robust with Seattle’s Bobby Wagner (released by the Seahawks this week), Kansas City’s Anthony Hitchens, New England’s Dont’a Hightower, Arizona’s Jordan Hicks (also released) and Cleveland’s Anthony Walker among those who will be available."

Add Corey Littleton to that mix, reunited with Barry could be a possibility.

MVS apparently won't be retained
"Marquez Valdes-Scantling, it’s almost a given he won’t return. According to another source who has had conversations with the Packers, they are not positioned to pay much to any of their free agents other than Campbell and understand they’re probably going to lose Valdes-Scantling as well as several others"

https://eu.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/03/11/devondre-campbell-set-test-free-agent-market-mvs-likely-moving/7002632001/

12 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Rodgers has stated in the past he has reached out to friends about the possibility of playing together. If he does end up significantly lowering his number this year I wonder if we could pull in some vets. Lets just see what the cap is at first though. I think this is a draft we trade up in. Just a hunch. 

Rodgers: "You should come and play in Green Bay....maybe take a little less but a good shot at a ring!"

Friend: "Yeah, you 'take less' first, pal" 

• Like 3

I feel like Douglas was a situation where literally any discarded vet would have thrived. Barry allowed him to take gambles, the gambles paid off more often than they didn’t.

It’s literally why I wanted us to sign a veteran corner in free agency so bad.

I love his attitude. He’s got that killer instinct you really want out of a corner, but with Jaire healthy, Stokes in his second year, King far away from Green Bay, I think literally any average veteran corner could perform well here.

These are my exact thoughts on Campbell.

MVS stings the most. None of you will realize it because he’s not a complete WR, but he is 100% a legit deep threat, and an above average deep threat at that. Don’t twist my words here those of you who typically twist my words. MVS is a good to elite deep threat when you are looking at deep threat, not WR. He required constant attention on every single play. That’s a huge asset.

Not worth what he will get because some team will pay him hoping he is or will become more than what he is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I feel like Douglas was a situation where literally any discarded vet would have thrived. Barry allowed him to take gambles, the gambles paid off more often than they didn’t.

It’s literally why I wanted us to sign a veteran corner in free agency so bad.

I love his attitude. He’s got that killer instinct you really want out of a corner, but with Jaire healthy, Stokes in his second year, King far away from Green Bay, I think literally any average veteran corner could perform well here.

These are my exact thoughts on Campbell.

MVS stings the most. None of you will realize it because he’s not a complete WR, but he is 100% a legit deep threat, and an above average deep threat at that. Don’t twist my words here those of you who typically twist my words. MVS is a good to elite deep threat when you are looking at deep threat, not WR. He required constant attention on every single play. That’s a huge asset.

Not worth what he will get because some team will pay him hoping he is or will become more than what he is.

I think MVS stings the least of any FA. He would be last on my list to spend money on. Lot of cheaper options who can fill that same role in this offense.

Campbell was my #1 goal to retain. But doubt we can.

Tonyan, Douglas and everyone else...meh

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Rodgers: "You should come and play in Green Bay....maybe take a little less but a good shot at a ring!"

Friend: "Yeah, you 'take less' first, pal" 

I believe he is.  Just giving the Packers some flexibility to work other deals.  He'll likely be the last to sign or close to it  JMO

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I believe he is.  Just giving the Packers some flexibility to work other deals.  He'll likely be the last to sign or close to it  JMO

That deal needs to be changed in order to get the Packers under the salary cap.  The Packers would have to release Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Dean Lowry, and Mason Crosby just to squeak under the cap.  That would put them about 500k under the salary cap.  That's not going to happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That deal needs to be changed in order to get the Packers under the salary cap.  The Packers would have to release Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Dean Lowry, and Mason Crosby just to squeak under the cap.  That would put them about 500k under the salary cap.  That's not going to happen.

about 74 hours to go for GB to get in cap compliance.  

going to be an interesting few days to see what the deals look like on players that want to keep and who is released/traded.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

about 74 hours to go for GB to get in cap compliance.  

going to be an interesting few days to see what the deals look like on players that want to keep and who is released/traded.

I'd imagine tomorrow is going to have a flurry of moves.

• Like 1

My suspicion is that the actual details of the Rodgers deal are indeed finalized, the Packers are just waiting until close to the deadline to submit the contract in order to hide discussion about "what the structure of the deal really means" behind all the other NFL news that's going on.  In negotiating the Jaire extension, figuring out the cuts/restructures, etc. I assume they know exactly what Rodgers revised cap number is going to be and are working around it.

Remember, this organization doesn't like to tell anybody anything until they absolutely have to.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd imagine tomorrow is going to have a flurry of moves.

I think GB has a few scenarios on the contract structures for the key pieces....Rodgers, Adams, Preston, Z, Jaire

Just need to have 1 or 2 of those dominos fall into place and the others should follow.   

the easy ones were the straight forward restructures.   The remaining ones are either extensions or re-signings, and those have a lot more negotiating on the terms.  

Maxx Crosby getting $98M on a 4 year extension might make any Preston or Z contact harder to extend vs what they might get on the open market

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

My suspicion is that the actual details of the Rodgers deal are indeed finalized, the Packers are just waiting until close to the deadline to submit the contract in order to hide discussion about "what the structure of the deal really means" behind all the other NFL news that's going on.  In negotiating the Jaire extension, figuring out the cuts/restructures, etc. I assume they know exactly what Rodgers revised cap number is going to be and are working around it.

Remember, this organization doesn't like to tell anybody anything until they absolutely have to.

I almost wonder if it's something that the NFL has to look at to approve.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Maxx Crosby getting $98M on a 4 year extension might make any Preston or Z contact harder to extend vs what they might get on the open market

Not really.  Maxx was significantly more productive then both of them.