Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

So, is Rodgers holding up the show or is he going to swoop in at the final hour to look like the hero when we re-sign Rasul, Devondre, or others?

Hes not holding up the show, he's letting the Packers work other deals and being flexible with his own deal.  He's agreed to return,  at how much I dont think even he knows exactly right now.  Depends on what the Packers can do with the rest of the contracts.  It will be cap friendly, how cap friendly depends on what the Packers can do with signing their players.  I'm sure they have a bottom line that Rodgers will play for.   

Just now, NFLGURU said:

Hes not holding up the show, he's letting the Packers work other deals and being flexible with his own deal.  He's agreed to return,  at how much I dont think even he knows exactly right now.  Depends on what the Packers can do with the rest of the contracts.  It will be cap friendly, how cap friendly depends on what the Packers can do with signing their players.  I'm sure they have a bottom line that Rodgers will play for.   

I'd probably agree with this statement.  I think there's a relative framework of a Rodgers' deal in place, and Rodgers wasn't lying when he said the deal wasn't signed.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think MVS stings the least of any FA. He would be last on my list to spend money on. Lot of cheaper options who can fill that same role in this offense.

Campbell was my #1 goal to retain. But doubt we can.

Tonyan, Douglas and everyone else...meh

Replace Campbell with literally any ILB that has 4 years experience and who has ever intercepted a pass and you're getting the same production.

Book it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That deal needs to be changed in order to get the Packers under the salary cap.  The Packers would have to release Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Randall Cobb, Billy Turner, Dean Lowry, and Mason Crosby just to squeak under the cap.  That would put them about 500k under the salary cap.  That's not going to happen.

Might as well trade Rodgers and Adams if we have to cut all of those guys. 

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Replace Campbell with literally any ILB that has 4 years experience and who has ever intercepted a pass and you're getting the same production.

Book it.

It's weird to say but I actually disagree with this take. I'm normally not one to advocate for spending on ILB as they just aren't high value positions comparatively, but Campbell is on my exceptions list. He has produced at multiple stops now, and watching him on film I strongly feel he's the real deal. He's awfully twitchy for such a long guy, he's strong in his run fills and just does not miss tackles: guy has a career missed tackle percentage of 5.9% and only missed 2.7% last year. He's got such good acceleration into the collision, he isn't a straight brick wall in the hole guy but he frequently gives runners dead legs at the point of attack with how much force he generates with burst + size. Also can be a good blitzer and will punish the RB on blitz pickup; you wish he was a little faster at slipping the contact and/or could avoid it better, but it does set a certain tone.

I'm not advocating for signing him no matter the price, but to me I think he was a canny signing of an undervalued player, not proof that any street free agent can be all pro in this system

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 4

Matt Schneidman -  Davante Adams isn’t the only Packer looking to be the highest-paid player at his position in the NFL. Had some conversations recently about Jaire Alexander, and I expect him to be the highest-paid CB on his next deal. Jalen Ramsey currently No. 1 at $20 million per year.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -  Davante Adams isn’t the only Packer looking to be the highest-paid player at his position in the NFL. Had some conversations recently about Jaire Alexander, and I expect him to be the highest-paid CB on his next deal. Jalen Ramsey currently No. 1 at $20 million per year.

Another wasted rookie contract. Next up is Gary. 

Zach Kruse -  Packers will save $3.4M by releasing Billy Turner but take on $5.8M in dead money.
That’s a tough one. His cap number wasn’t crazy. Experienced and versatile player for the OL. And the QB loved him.

• Peter Bukowski -  I’m not blaming “the cap” for the Z or Turner cuts. The Packers effectively built a roster that gave them younger, cheaper and potentially better options. And Z probably could have been the extension candidate had he been healthy last season.