Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

It's weird to say but I actually disagree with this take. I'm normally not one to advocate for spending on ILB as they just aren't high value positions comparatively, but Campbell is on my exceptions list. He has produced at multiple stops now, and watching him on film I strongly feel he's the real deal. He's awfully twitchy for such a long guy, he's strong in his run fills and just does not miss tackles: guy has a career missed tackle percentage of 5.9% and only missed 2.7% last year. He's got such good acceleration into the collision, he isn't a straight brick wall in the hole guy but he frequently gives runners dead legs at the point of attack with how much force he generates with burst + size. Also can be a good blitzer and will punish the RB on blitz pickup; you wish he was a little faster at slipping the contact and/or could avoid it better, but it does set a certain tone.

I'm not advocating for signing him no matter the price, but to me I think he was a canny signing of an undervalued player, not proof that any street free agent can be all pro in this system

I really like Campbell, but he is being overvalued here.

We were his third team in 3 years.  His PFF scores were 59ish for every other season he's been in the NFL over his career.

84.7 score last year.

Did he all of a sudden get really good at football?  Or, was he a smart veteran that played better because our ILB scheme became much better and simpler under Barry?

I'm of the opinion that he is a great fit here.  And not so great elsewhere.  I think that any veteran ILB out there with instincts will be good in this scheme.  Whether or not their "good" is as "good as Campbell" is what we are discussing.

9 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The Preston deal is pretty good. In essence a three year deal, gets him to 32 years old. Pays out $37m in those three years with a dead cap hit of $4.8m in 2025. AAV of $12.3m over the next three years.

It'll be a poor deal for 2 years and a great deal for one.  LOL.

But we really needed to keep one of the Smith's.  Preston is steady, seemed like a nice move.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It'll be a poor deal for 2 years and a great deal for one.  LOL.

But we really needed to keep one of the Smith's.  Preston is steady, seemed like a nice move.

Preston and RG are a talented starting duo.  Draft an edge in the first two rounds, sign Mercilus to another one year contract and I think we're good at edge.