Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

58 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Preston and RG are a talented starting duo.  Draft an edge in the first two rounds, sign Mercilus to another one year contract and I think we're good at edge.

Plus Jon Garvin turns 23 in July. I'm not sure we even need to spend on a guy like Mercilus.  Smith-Gary-Garvin-draft pick is still probably pretty good.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't really like releasing Turner.  I think it weakens the line, and it doesn't free up a ton of money either.  I know there is plenty of time, and that we need to cut some salary.  I just don't think that this is one of the first few moves that I would make.

might be an indication of how the Adams and Jaire contract talks are going.  Those were 2 contracts that should trim some cap form the current charges.  but, it takes 2 to get a deal done

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't really like releasing Turner.  I think it weakens the line, and it doesn't free up a ton of money either.  I know there is plenty of time, and that we need to cut some salary.  I just don't think that this is one of the first few moves that I would make.

Yea, I'm choosing to believe that it must signal they wanted to go a different direction with the player (meaning they want Nijman and eventually Jenkins to man the RT position), and that it's less about saving cap. Otherwise, if you're telling me they kept Crosby, Cobb and Lewis over Turner because they needed to cut one to save $3m, I'd say they're idiots across the board. 

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't really like releasing Turner.

I don't either, but at the same time they've invested a lot of draft capital in the offensive line these last few drafts, and a number of the young guys have turned out to be NFL calibre players.  The reason they signed Turner in the first place was as a stopgap because guys like Spriggs, Amichia, and Madison didn't work out.  They really didn't hit on an OL between 2014 (Linsley) and 2019 (Jenkins).

54 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

One I wouldn't have made, either.

But....I hope this means that Nijman gets a shot at RT.  Jenkins, when healthy.  Maybe Cole Van Lanen is showing something in practice.

This move tells me that the coaches like what they have in the "other" guys.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

One I wouldn't have made, either.

But....I hope this means that Nijman gets a shot at RT.  Jenkins, when healthy.  Maybe Cole Van Lanen is showing something in practice.

This move tells me that the coaches like what they have in the "other" guys.  

What does that have to do with it.  Asst. GM is signing off on all the moves. 🤪

• Like 1

Peter Bukowski -  The Packers are going to have the highest paid QB in the league twice. The highest paid OT ever. The highest paid WR ever and maybe the highest paid CB ever. They drafted all those players and they’re all worth that deal. Just think about that for a second.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think they saw enough of Yosh this year that they will leave him fight for the RT spot they will draft another T to back up the duo and hopefully have Jankins back if need be. Maybe Kelley off the street in a pinch. 

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

OTC has the Packers at $18.3M over the cap.

There will be some more activity tomorrow to inch us closer or keep it around the same (i.e. maybe resigning Sul but trimming Cobb's number or restructuring Amos, etc.) and then I'm expecting news will officially break regarding Rodgers' new deal on Wednesday, pretty much right before the deadline to be under the cap. 

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

nijman will be the guy at RT this year IMO

• Like 2