Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I will actually be surprised if Molson isn't claimed tomorrow, week after week last year he was a player that they kept protected from being signed off their PS and they held onto him even after signing a third kicker in the off season. Thinking the front office liked him, but the numbers game finally caught up with him in GB.  

One other possibility with the timing of Molson's release is that he is a Canadian and was a draft choice of the Hamilton Tiger Cats and the CFL season starts next week. He may have requested his release so he could sign with Hamilton. The money would be much better to stay in the USA and try to land an NFL job, but maybe he is ready to go home too.    

2 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

We got 16 million, and we are not gonna NOT spend it, right? How much do we usually leave on the table heading into a season? 5 million for in season acquisitions?

It is really hard to say what the plan is, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if a good chunk of that is earmarked for a mid-season contract extension for Elgton Jenkins.   

12 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

If only the top 51 contracts are counted towards the cap, then why are the practice squads and 52nd and 53rd player contracts included in estimating our cap space?

Because they all count when the season starts. All 53, practice squad, injured reserve. 

52 minutes ago, R T said:

Because they all count when the season starts. All 53, practice squad, injured reserve. 

One thing he overlooked is that most of our rookies and any UDFAs that make the roster will actually reduce a current hit from the top 51, which includes several 3rd and 4th year veterans who won't make the roster...also I think the NLTBE bonus estimation plus the midseason piggy bank was a little high.

We'd have to see a legitimate roster prediction before making a firm guess but I'd say we have a comfortable $6m (including the offsetting $850k or so for the player knocked off the roster from one signing) to spend before the season.